Fideo Retentions does it still exist?

kingair
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if Fido still have a retention department still? My wife and I have been with fido for 16 years, we've been out of contract and wanted to renew with the new iphone 6s 128gb and the customer service rep said that he was retentions and all he could do was give me $30 off the phone. Wow how retentions have changed. I guess its finally time to say goodbye to fido and finally switch to a Galaxy. Fido use to have one of the best customer service, I guess times have changed.

Thanks Fido

Mike

8 REPLIES 8
FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey kingair and oilers97,

Welcome to the community! 

We definitely wouldn't want to see you go! In order to get the full subsidy on a new phone, you'll need to have a MAX plan, if that's not the case we can definitely offer you a discount on the new phone as well! Do you have FidoDOLLARS? That's a big advantage and will help lower the cost! 

I'll be sending you both a private message so we can have a look : )

Talk soon! 

kingair
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I got your msg and filled out the form.

Thanks Kingair, 

we'll be with you shortly : )

vwDavid
I'm a Participant Level 3

My wife and I have been with Fido for 7 years and have been buying iphones. I would like to bring my mother and sister onto our account and purchase 4 new iphones. Every conversation I have at a kiosk, online chat or voice conversation @ 611 leads me to a dead end that I don't believe fido wants to keep me as a customer. I have done everything including suggest I am looking at other providers short of asking for a retentions department. Is that what I have to do?

I have been offered some reasonable deals but I am just getting the run around. In addition I have learnt that fido no longer offers fidodollars on new accounts- so this is a big bummer and much less of a reason to stay with fido.  Not to mention I can't get a ip6s at a kiosk, must call in. So I call in and they say the call center cannot sell ip6s. I am getting offered some meager discounts but the call center will not match the kiosk price and can't figure out how to get the phone I want.

Do I need to call and just ask for retentions? if there is much more run around I will just swtich two lines to telus instead of swtich two telus lines to fido.

I just want to talk to an senior experienced associate that can help me with my four lines, four handsets and offer a decent enough deal to stay with fido.

David

David

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

You know you can purchase the iPhones straight from an Apple Store, right? Sure, it will be more expensive up front, but then you can use the BYOD price plans. I suggest you do the math over 2 years; every time I've done so, Telus/Rogers/Bell ended up costing more in the end.

@zyx wrote:

...I suggest you do the math over 2 years; every time I've done so, Telus/Rogers/Bell ended up costing more in the end.

Hello,

Your finding shouldn't really be unexpected. Anytime you finance anything, it will always cost more at the end of the term. Whether it be a mortgage on your home, a lease on a new car, new furniture, latest television, etc the total cost will inevitably be more than if paid in full outright. You are paying extra for the luxury of drawing out the payments. It used to only be available for the large purchases ie house or car, while for other smaller purchases people would have to save up for them.

You do provide some good advice though. Unfortunately, with the high cost of newer phones these days, not everyone can afford to pay for one outright. While waiting and saving up for one might be a prudent financial option, many people want their items promptly and will only occasionally save to make their purchases. For them, the additional cost of financing purchases is a small price to pay for immediate gratification.

**edit** No judgement here, just observation.

Cheers

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@Cawtau wrote:

Hello,

Your finding shouldn't really be unexpected. Anytime you finance anything, it will always cost more at the end of the term.

It hasn't always been like that with cell phones, at least not with Fido. It used to be a 10% discount to BYOD. On my $35/month plan (back then), that meant I could have lowered the cost of my plan by $84 at the end of two years. Meanwhile, paying the full monthly plan provided up to $350 savings on the phone.

Anyway, I did mention it because it appears rather common that people don't look beyond the "right-now" cost. And some will think twice when they realize the extra cost of paying less "right-now". And of course, there's the irony that if you enter that cycle, you will likely not be able to save the money for next time, so you'll do the same thing again.

As an annecdote, a while back, someone here complained that a specific phone was $500 more from Fido than from another (Bell, Rogers, Telus; I don't recall which). I did the math, and the "big name" turned out $500 more at the end of 2 years, despite the initial cost of the phone being $500 less.

Of course, I'm hard pressed to find anyone who can tell how much money comes in and how much comes out, much less have categories (housing, car, fuel, groceries, restaurants, etc.), so it's no surprise when I hear that canadians families keep going further and further into debt.

oilers97
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'm in the same boat as you, and finding the exact same as you Mike.  I've been a customer for 11+ years and my agreement expires tomorrow.  I've dabbled with getting a phone upgrade and not wanting to have my monthly plan pricing change too much, but the "best" they can do is increase my plan by $20/month from what i'd been paying, and get me a phone at a price that any new customer can get it for.  Looks like i might be jumping ship as well, sad really.  I've passed up other opportunities to save a couple dollars before in order to stay loyal to fido, but the difference is just too much now.