Failed to unlock Fido's Samsung Galaxy S7

SOLVED
mimimormor
I'm a Participant Level 3

I’m a Mobilicity user who bought the Samsung Galaxy S7 from a Fido store through my mother (who is a Fido customer). When I got home, I immediately inserted my Mobilicity SIM card. The phone worked perfectly fine and I was not prompted for the unlock code, which I had already acquired from Fido.

Six days later, I had a chance to access a Telus SIM card and thought it was a good chance to make that $50 unlock fee worthwhile. Surprisingly, the S7 did not prompt for the unlock code. I was also able to make a phone call and assumed everything was fine, so I put my Mobilicity SIM card back in the S7.

Unexpectedly, I was prompted for the “SIM network unlock PIN.” I typed in the unlock code that Fido gave me, but it did not work. I tried a few more times but was still unsuccessful. In the status bar, it said, “Invalid SIM card” and “Network locked SIM card inserted.”

I live chatted with Fido and was told that they could not find the IMEI number in their database. I was then told to contact the tech support by phone the next day.

When I called Fido for tech support, the person said my phone is locked and that I should probably buy a $10 Fido SIM card from them. I questioned that suggestion as it made no sense, and was then transferred to the “unlocking department.”

The “unlocking department” told me the unlock code was given by Samsung, so I should probably contact them and see what they can do. That didn’t sound helpful, so I asked for other options and was given two:
1) go to a Fido store to exchange for a new S7
2) send in the S7 for repair

I went to a Fido store today and explained my situation. Without even looking at my phone or trying to insert the unlock code that I was given, the customer service representative said that I shouldn’t have inserted the Mobilicity SIM card as the very first SIM card read by the S7, and now it's "locked to Mobilicity” and something like “the unlock code doesn’t work for 90 days, so you’ll need to wait 90 days.” I have no idea what that means. I already paid for the phone in full…

Anyway, I’ve read the post about the same unlocking problem with no solution:
http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/highlight/true/page/1/thread-id/...

If any experts can offer me advice, that would be great.

Thanks in advance~

Accepted Solution

Re: Failed to unlock Fido's Samsung Galaxy S7

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 mimimormor

Today, the customer service representative who assisted me when I bought the phone at Fido helped me.  I have been given an exchange for a new Samsung Galaxy S7!

It has been confirmed that the S7 does in fact lock to the carrier of the first SIM card inserted.

The CSR admitted her fault for not doing that when I bought the phone and was extremely helpful to have my case resolved.  She checked that the unlock fee for the previous S7 was credited to my account.  To assure that this new phone is locked to Fido, she inserted her own Fido SIM card to have my phone set.

I am currently using the Mobilicity SIM card with the S7.  At first, it didn't pick up any service but after configuring the settings, the network was detected.  It seems to work so far and hopefully it will stay that way.

Thank you Fido Community for all your input!!

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
KAPABLE-K
MVP

Thats strange that the phone worked witht he Telus SIM with out it being unlocked, even more strange that Fido can not find the imei in their database. Once an unlock code is generated it should work you do not have to wait for any specific amount of days. I never got an unlock code from a provider I use other methods so i'm not sure what codes they provided.

Did they provided one string of codes? or was it like NCK: 12345678 SPCK: 12345678 MCK: 12345678

Also you should know you have a certain amount of tries before the phone is permanently locked

mimimormor

I think I didn't wait long enough with the Telus SIM.  Maybe that's why it worked?  At least I assumed it worked after being able to make a phone call.

The unlock code Fido gave me consisted of 8 digits.  I am a noob with tech stuff, so I had no idea there was a limit to the number of tries to unlock... I actually tried many times but was never warned that it would lock my phone permanently.  After each unsuccessful attempt, it returned to the "SIM network unlock PIN" screen with the option to "unlock" or "dismiss."  How do I find out if the phone is permanently locked? 

Hey @mimimormor,

If you're phone is permanently locked then that will explain why the unlocking code won't work.  You will need to bring the phone to Samsung so they can fix it for you.

mimimormor

@FidoTerry I don't know if it's permanently locked.  How do I find out??

I live chatted with Samsung last night and they said, "contact Fido to check if the phone is locked permanently or not as Samsung do not have that option to check it."

BUT Samsung also told me, "Please contact the Samsung service center to get that information so that the technician will check which carrier is locked and whether the phone is locked permanently or not."

Fido didn't tell me the status of my phone when I called earlier yesterday.  I'm so confused.

Hey @mimimormor.

From what you mentionned above, we provided you with the unlock code.

So I can check the status for you.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into Smiley Talk to you soon.

mimimormor

Today, the customer service representative who assisted me when I bought the phone at Fido helped me.  I have been given an exchange for a new Samsung Galaxy S7!

It has been confirmed that the S7 does in fact lock to the carrier of the first SIM card inserted.

The CSR admitted her fault for not doing that when I bought the phone and was extremely helpful to have my case resolved.  She checked that the unlock fee for the previous S7 was credited to my account.  To assure that this new phone is locked to Fido, she inserted her own Fido SIM card to have my phone set.

I am currently using the Mobilicity SIM card with the S7.  At first, it didn't pick up any service but after configuring the settings, the network was detected.  It seems to work so far and hopefully it will stay that way.

Thank you Fido Community for all your input!!