FIdo Unlocked S4 on WIND

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

FIdo Unlocked S4 on WIND

Hi,

Would a FIDO unlocked S4 work on the WIND network .  Will it have 3G or LTE issues.

Thankyou

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: FIdo Unlocked S4 on WIND

"As long as its a unlocked phone, it can be used on any carriers."

As a general rule, yes that is true.

That said, Wind's network uses different frequencies that not all Fido phones support.

The Fido version of the Galaxy S4 does not support Wind's frequencies. They use AWS 1700/2100, but the Fido Galaxy S4 supports only 2100 MHz on 3G/HSPA, so chances are that it won't work well or won't work at all.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

As long as its a unlocked phone, it can be used on any carriers. Since its a samsung phone, it should be fine on any carrier, regardless of LTE / 3G

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2
Solution

"As long as its a unlocked phone, it can be used on any carriers."

As a general rule, yes that is true.

That said, Wind's network uses different frequencies that not all Fido phones support.

The Fido version of the Galaxy S4 does not support Wind's frequencies. They use AWS 1700/2100, but the Fido Galaxy S4 supports only 2100 MHz on 3G/HSPA, so chances are that it won't work well or won't work at all.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted

After unlocking your phone which you can do for free if you tinker with root access and all that fun stuff... You'll need to flash AWS modem settings to your device. This will enable AWS for your phone to use in Wind.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted

I can verify that it works on Fido handsets. It will show Wind when you search for networks.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

I really do not recommend flashing basebands/ROMs unless you know exactly what you are doing. Things can easily go wrong. Futhermore, this voids your warranty.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi so I have a Galaxy S4 GT-I19505 from South-Africa.
I just moved to Canada. I am currently on Fido pay as you go but I want to move to Wind or mobilecity.
however so far I cant unlock the phone as it doesnt work with a wind sim but it does with Fido. Tryed to do the whole file thing on pc but it doesnt want to load the file stops at 5% and says fail. What can I do?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Kobus, 

If the phone is from a different carrier we are not able to unlock it. Only the original carrier would be able to do so. Also, it may be because the phone is not compatible with Wind's network as TheOrangeGuy mentionned previously in this thread. 

- Mathieu

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Kobus wrote:
Hi so I have a Galaxy S4 GT-I19505 from South-Africa.
I just moved to Canada. I am currently on Fido pay as you go but I want to move to Wind or mobilecity.
however so far I cant unlock the phone as it doesnt work with a wind sim but it does with Fido. Tryed to do the whole file thing on pc but it doesnt want to load the file stops at 5% and says fail. What can I do?

Hello Kobus,

I would have to agree with FidoMatt and TheOrangeGuy. If the phone is from South Africa and works on Fido, then the phone is probably already unlocked. The phone not working on Wind is therefore not a 'locked' phone issue, but a network compatibility issue. As TheOrangeGuy noted, Wind uses advanced wireless services (AWS, band 4, or 1700/2100MHz) on their network ('3G', UMTS). They do not have a GSM or LTE network (yet). While your phone may have 2100MHz as a '3G' frequency, it is on band 1 which is not compatible with band 4 because it doesn't also have 1700MHz.

It should also be noted that even if a phone has AWS for LTE, it will not work with Wind either. Wind's network is UMTS and the bands/frequencies cannot cross networks. Wind is working on their own LTE network but I do not believe it is yet up and running.

**edit** Mobilicity also uses AWS on their network

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@TheOrangeGuy wrote:

I really do not recommend flashing basebands/ROMs unless you know exactly what you are doing. Things can easily go wrong. Futhermore, this voids your warranty.

Hello,

I also do not recommend flashing basebands/ROMs. However, if one insists on trying to do so, it should be noted that all of the 'instructions' for modem flashing are version specific. Following instructions for different phone versions could end with a 'bricked' phone. Also, not all phone versions have modems which are flashable. For example, this page lists some modem flashable phones.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12