FIDO lied to me and is fronting me with a large bill. Worst customer service.

I'm a Participant Level 2 jonjghgyuv
I'm a Participant Level 2

FIDO lied to me and is fronting me with a large bill. Worst customer service.

So here's my story,

So I had six months left on my previous two year contract when my phone suddenly decided to stop working, probably due to some physical damage and at the time I didn't have the money to purchase a new phone until my contract was up for renewal. So I decided to phone Fido and see what their customer service can do for me, after about an hour of them trying to give me basically nothing and forcing me to either buy out my remaining six months or pay for a new phone, I opted to leave the company. They then sent me to retention service to offer me a deal to keep me as a customer, I thought, great maybe they do care about my service as a customer. And they did offer me a great deal, the guy said he would buy out my remaining six months and set me up on a new two year contract with a new google nexus 5, whihch is a small upgrade from my samsung s3 that just broke. He only said I would have to pay $50 from the economic inducement and an additional $30 for upgrade fees or whatever, I agreed as that was better than what I would have to go through before.

This month I was fronted a $185.00 charge plus my monthly service fee, for "early upgrade charge." Eventhough the guy in retention said nothing about this charge during our conversation, and I know because I would remember that very well because I would not have agreed to stay with the company if I had to pay nearly $200 anyway, and besides, Rogers offered me to buy out my contract for free and offer me a cheaper deal anyway.

So today I called customer service to see what the situation is and what they can do for me, I was on the line for nearly an hour trying to find out where this charge came from and if it were possible to drop it based on the fact that no one notified me of this prior to setting up my new contract. They refused to cooperate or allow me to talk to their supervisor. I asked them if that call to retention was recorded and they said, yes it was, and I asked them to review it for proof that he never notified me of the additional $185 charge, and they blatenly refused to review the call because it would be a waste of their managers time and kind of giggled when I was a little upset about asking why wouldn't they take the time to review the call, because why else would you record it. ANyway, FIDO is complete Bull****, they conned me into another two year contract on false information and now I'm stuck for two years. I cant wait to leave this copany. 

***Edited to remove personal information***

Accepted Solution

Re: FIDO lied to me and is fronting me with a large bill. Worst customer service.

@jonjghgyuv wrote:

They refused to cooperate or allow me to talk to their supervisor. I asked them if that call to retention was recorded and they said, yes it was, and I asked them to review it for proof that he never notified me of the additional $185 charge, and they blatenly refused to review the call because it would be a waste of their managers time and kind of giggled when I was a little upset about asking why wouldn't they take the time to review the call, because why else would you record it.

Jonjghgyuv, how sure are you about what was spoken on the phone? If it’s close to 99% then would you spend a couple of hours to TRY to prove that you were right and possibly get back the $$$ that you paid?

If you answered YES then call Fido and without going into details explain the CSR the problem and ask for a supervisor. If you get a supervisor explain again your problem and ask the supervisor to review the call. If s/he refuses then inform them that you’ll file a complaint with CCTS and again (don’t skip this step) ask him/her to confirm that s/he refuses to review the call.

If you problem is not solved to your satisfaction go online and file a complaint with CCTS and tell your side of the story and wait, sooner or later Fido will provide the call recording (see CCTS decision #89014 from 2011 when Fido had to provide the recording to prove that the customer was wrong).

Almost forgot, as Wufai mentioned make a note of CSR/supervisor ID and time of the call, you’ll need that info when asked “What steps did you take to resolve the matter with your TSP”

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Re: FIDO lied to me and is fronting me with a large bill. Worst customer service.

Seems like a legit concern. The problem is that through telephone retention there is never a written agreement for the customer to review what is agreed upon, and becomes a 'I said, you said' argument between two parties with Fido being on the winning side as usually customers are enticed to something that is out of the normal procedure.

I had similiar issues in the past with Fido as well as other companies and in general I try to aviod telemarketing because the results solely depends on the person on the other side which you never meet and can never identifly if something goes wrong.

I can only advice those taking up retention deals to take note of the rep's name and ID number for future reference. confirm twice on what changes are made to your account. And call back a day later, to get another fido rep to read your account details to confirm the correct changes are made.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9

That's pretty much what it came down to. The managers refused to remove the charge and did everything they could to put me in the wrong and refused to review the recording for evidence. I pretty much accepted that I will have to pay the bill right now, eventhough I cannot afford it. I'm just extremely  frusterated and dissappointed on how they handled that situation is all.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3
Solution

@jonjghgyuv wrote:

They refused to cooperate or allow me to talk to their supervisor. I asked them if that call to retention was recorded and they said, yes it was, and I asked them to review it for proof that he never notified me of the additional $185 charge, and they blatenly refused to review the call because it would be a waste of their managers time and kind of giggled when I was a little upset about asking why wouldn't they take the time to review the call, because why else would you record it.

Jonjghgyuv, how sure are you about what was spoken on the phone? If it’s close to 99% then would you spend a couple of hours to TRY to prove that you were right and possibly get back the $$$ that you paid?

If you answered YES then call Fido and without going into details explain the CSR the problem and ask for a supervisor. If you get a supervisor explain again your problem and ask the supervisor to review the call. If s/he refuses then inform them that you’ll file a complaint with CCTS and again (don’t skip this step) ask him/her to confirm that s/he refuses to review the call.

If you problem is not solved to your satisfaction go online and file a complaint with CCTS and tell your side of the story and wait, sooner or later Fido will provide the call recording (see CCTS decision #89014 from 2011 when Fido had to provide the recording to prove that the customer was wrong).

Almost forgot, as Wufai mentioned make a note of CSR/supervisor ID and time of the call, you’ll need that info when asked “What steps did you take to resolve the matter with your TSP”

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9

Thank you, that's good advice so I'll give that a try...

Although I'm not sure if calling them again will solve anything because during my 5 transferrs my first time around, they were very reluctant to take my side and it was the supervisor/manager who said in the background that she would refuse to review my recording. I'll give the E-mail thing a try though, perhaps someone will still review that recording.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9
I'm a Participant Level 1 ben960606
I'm a Participant Level 1

I was also lied by Fido; I was told that I will get 3 months of device protection trial, and then will get 25$ discount off at my 3rd bill. However, I checked now that I haven't got any discount, and called customer service, and they just say its not documented so they can't do anything about it. Although it is a small amount of money, the fact that they lied matters.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9
I'm a Contributor Level 2 justplanenutz
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Same lies all the way around - About 3 years ago was told by a FIDO rep that for $100 I could move my contract from Rogers to FIDO and just have to sign a new commitment with FIDO for at the time 3 years.  Sounds like a good plan, cheaper contract and a new phone!!  Well ended up not being the case, I paid almost a thousand dollars of cancellation feeds to Rogers just to contnue paying them through their FIDO brand.

Had I knew I was going to pay a cancellation few of that amount I would have left the organization all together and found another mobile phone company that would be happy to rob me blind.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
I'm a Participant Level 1 nmon10egro
I'm a Participant Level 1

On a somewhat related issue with billing, I just enrolled in their data plan on the 17th of this month and, roughly just a week after, I already got my first invoice. I wasn't expecting my first bill until a month after so I asked FIDO about it. The explanation was that on the date I enrolled, I wasn't on their system for the 1st 24 hours so they say they would have to bill me the pro-rated charge (in my case, $10.00/month) for that period. This is basicaly charging me an additional $10.00 for just enrolling but they're doing this in the guise of the fact (as I was told) that I wasn't still in their system in the 1st 24 hours since registration. I don't think this is fair at all. And just imagine, they do with with everybody enrolling.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

@nmon10egro wrote:
On a somewhat related issue with billing, I just enrolled in their data plan on the 17th of this month and, roughly just a week after, I already got my first invoice. I wasn't expecting my first bill until a month after so I asked FIDO about it. The explanation was that on the date I enrolled, I wasn't on their system for the 1st 24 hours so they say they would have to bill me the pro-rated charge (in my case, $10.00/month) for that period. This is basicaly charging me an additional $10.00 for just enrolling but they're doing this in the guise of the fact (as I was told) that I wasn't still in their system in the 1st 24 hours since registration. I don't think this is fair at all. And just imagine, they do with with everybody enrolling.

tip: avoid the "pro-rated" at any cost. Either wait untill the end of your billing cycle or ask explicitly for the chnage to enacted on the next billing cycle. anything else will end up in frustration and waisted time!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9