FIDO is cheating on custmers

fairness
I'm a Participant Level 1

FIDO is cheating on customers! FIDO took away over $700 from me!

In 2014, I helped my friend, a young girl who was new to Canada and had not reached the age of having her own account, to open an account that provided her with a phone number and a Fido plan. And she has been paying the plan using her bank card.  I had had my own phone with Fido under my mother’ name for years and had always paid the bills in full. But about one year after I helped my friend to have her phone, I was called by a collect company, saying that I owned Fido money b/c I stopped paying Fido fees. I was shocked, and phoned Fido. Fido said I had not paid any bills for a few months for my cell phone, and I said that was totally wrong, because my mother and I have only account with two FIDO numbers, one for my mom and the other for myself. My mom has been paying the bills in full each month. I asked FIDO why they said I didn’t pay, and they said that I had not paid for a few months for a number, but I was NOT aware of that number at all, and I only have ONE number! After FIDO looked into this, they found that that number was not used after being created. But FIDO has been charging the monthly bills to my credit card for over one year for a phone number that was not mine. The reason that FIDO asked the collect company to collect money from me was that I stopped paying, b/c I cancelled that credit card of mine and swicted to another credit card. AND I did not receive any emails from FIDO regarding the  payment of that number that  I was not aware of.  All of sudden, I received phone calls from a collect company!

I phoned FIDO many times, and the FIDO rep said it was FRAUD and escalated it to their FRAUD department. However their FRAUD department phoned me saying that it was not fraud, based on the fact that I was paying the bills charged to my credit card at that time and if it was not my phone number why was I paying my bill. I explained that I was a fulltime student and my course load was extremely heavy and my focus was on my study and I was too naïve, having total trust in FIDO and the credit system, so I always paid my bills without examining the fees on my credit card. Then I phoned FIDO again and again, providing evidence to prove it was FRAUD. Then that manager of the fraud department evaded FIDO’s responsibilities, saying that I should phone and deal with my credit company by rejecting to pay the bills. I was so naïve and phoned my credit company saying that I wanted to reject payments from FIDO. My credit company said they could not do it b/c it was long time past.   

I have been a university student and was cheated by FIDO that took away $700 from me, a poor student! Does anyone have similar experience and what should I do to prevent more customers from being cheated by FIDO? Can anyone please help??? How can I get my money back?

7 REPLIES 7
wbsouza
I'm a Participant Level 2

I just changed to Fido and they already send me a bill for the whole month as one day (27-NOV-2017 to 27-NOV-2017). I paid about $80 (including the abusive $25 fee activation) and I just notice the internet of December is pretty much compromised but I have no details where and when it was spent. Today is December 2nd and the 3GB plan is more than half used. How come? I start paying a front and Fido charge me the whole month in just one day and the internet consumption start to count on December (not the month I have to pay a front). It's totally unfair, to me is cheating.

Hey @wbsouza

Welcome to the Community! Smiley 

We bill a month in advance, and your billing cycle is often generated automatically by the system (based on your activation date). Your first invoice would include your first month and any prorated amount for the days leading up to your billing cycle.  

Can you let us know if you're using My Account to regularly track your data usage? We also have an awesome article found here on how to stay on top of your data! 

Were you able to download your invoice to review the details? There should be a page on there with a day-by-day breakdown of your data usage. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help reviewing your invoice and I'll send you a PM! 

FidoNick

Hey @fairness and welcome to the community!

Thank you for sharing with us. This isn't the type of experience we want any of our customers to go through.

We'd love to give you all the correct info and get to the bottom of this. One thing was a little unclear though, is the account that owed the $700 the one that you had opened for your friend?

fairness1

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your response. To answer your question: and clarify something

1. I paid about $500, the monthly Fido bills charged to my credit card. As I said, I was too naive to pay all bills charged to my credit card without examining the bills first, b/c I was a fulltime student and course load was very heavy, and what's more, I had total trust with Fido and the credit system.  Later I cancelled that credit card of mine. Then Fido stopped receiving money from me for a few months (over $200) and asked the collect company to call me and collect money on behalf of Fido. That was the time I realized that I had paid money for a phone number that Fido created that I was aware of at all.

2. I helped my friend to open an account and she has had her own account and number  that she has been paying using her bank card. That account that I owed money was associated with that fake phone number that I was not aware of.

3. My mother and I have one account.

hope these can answer your question.If not,please let me know.

Thanks

Hey @fairness1

I received your PM concerning this.

Talk to you soon.

fairness1

Thanks for your response . I found that I missed typing one important word in my posted message below under bullet 1, the last sentence. It is in BOLD underlined.

1. I paid about $500, the monthly Fido bills charged to my credit card. As I said, I was too naive to pay all bills charged to my credit card without examining the bills first, b/c I was a fulltime student and course load was very heavy, and what's more, I had total trust with Fido and the credit system.  Later I cancelled that credit card of mine. Then Fido stopped receiving money from me for a few months (over $200) and asked the collect company to call me and collect money on behalf of Fido. That was the time I realized that I had paid money for a phone number that Fido created that I was NOT aware of at all.

2. I helped my friend to open an account and she has had her own account and number  that she has been paying using her bank card. That account that I owed money was associated with that fake phone number that I was not aware of.

3. My mother and I have one account.

Thanks much for taking care of this.

@fairness1

I just sent you a PM to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon.