FIDO LTE NETWORK SPEED

I'm a Contributor Level 1 kcjzj007
I'm a Contributor Level 1

FIDO LTE NETWORK SPEED

I just test the speed of my Fido LTE network using an app called speedtest.

The download speed is like 10Mbps and upload speed is like 17Mbps.

Is it normal? other courier's LTE seems like much more faster. 10Mbps is more like WCDMA speed.

Accepted Solution

Re: FIDO LTE NETWORK SPEED

If you do the test multiple times, you'll get various results. 

The speed varies due to many factors (location, network congestion, etc etc) 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
MVP
MVP

Hello,

I found this graph from Speedtest interesting...

Canada's Fastest Mobile.jpg

Taken from here.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 14
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 Hottubman
I'm a Participant Level 2

Its nice that a fido rep has commented on this thread twice with the same " you cant prove me wrong and im not about to offer any useful feedback" standard "official" response, it really does very little to address an issue affecting several active posters and who knows how many customers. Ive done a lot of tests from a lot of locations between oshawa and toronto and betweeen toronto and aurora....regardless of tower location, there really shouldnt be any weak signal spots in the GTA, an area with 5 million people in a small geographical centre. For the record, since my original posts, i have had some more favorable results but not consistently. More often than not, i get results like i did today at 5:45pm, in the oshawa centre parking lot- 6.19DL 0.48UL and a ping of 22.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 14

I'm sad to hear that you feel as though our feedback wasn't helpful @Hottubman however the information provided by @FidoStephane is as accurate as it gets! 

Have you ever considered reporting this on our App ? Simply log in to My Account then click on your phone number, then at the bottom on Network Aid. You can also do it right here

It's a great way to keep us in the loop when you are experiencing Network issues that are intermittent.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 14
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

@Hottubman wrote:
Its nice that a fido rep has commented on this thread twice with the same " you cant prove me wrong and im not about to offer any useful feedback" ...

I assume you're referring to my earlier posts (there weren't any others who posted more than once since your post). Firstly, I do not work for, nor do I represent Fido.

I posted information regarding a likely possibility you're getting the speeds you're getting. You chose not to believe that explanation. Fair enough. But that doesn't mean the information I posted was not a contributing factor -- whether you believe it or not.

@Hottubman wrote:
...there really shouldnt be any weak signal spots in the GTA, an area with 5 million people in a small geographical centre....

That right there, is a fundamental limitation of cellular data -- for all mobile networks. There is a finite amount of bandwidth for any given location. The more people within that location, the more that bandwidth needs to be shared. Add to that, the changing use of mobile data. More and more people are using their devices to stream music or video. The increased data requirement of streaming services only adds to the network congestion.

When would one likely see a decrease in speed? After work or school and evenings, when more people are using the networks.

Yes, it affects everyone in large urban areas -- regardless of provider. Along with the many other factors that affect speed, that's why none of the mobile providers can guarantee speed. If any, they only provide theoretical or peak speeds.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 14