FIDO LTE Bands Match

I'm a Participant Level 1 zekexie1030
I'm a Participant Level 1

FIDO LTE Bands Match

Hi

I've purchased a phone SONY Xperia Z L36h C6603 from Hongkong.

Ive been doing quite a bit of research and at this point Im still not sure about the following.

Will an Hongkong version ofwill work with FIdo LTE?

The bands of the Xperia Z thats being sold unlocked online are:

UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V)、900 (Band VIII)、2100 (Band I) MHz * 
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850、900、1800、1900 MHz 
LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)*

Do all of these bands have to match fido's lte bands? or 2100 is enough? 

thank you

Accepted Solution

Re: FIDO LTE Bands Match

Your phone will work with LTE, but not because it has the 2100 MHz HSPA band, but rather because it has LTE Band 7 (2600 MHz).

Fido/Rogers also operates LTE on the AWS 1700/2100 band (Band 4), but your phone does not support that.

You will have HSPA coverage on the 850 MHz band (but not 1900 MHz), and I believe you will also have GSM as a fall-back option.

I have a phone with similar bands, and it works fine with Fido in Ottawa.
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 gmoffatt
I'm a Contributor Level 1
Solution

Your phone will work with LTE, but not because it has the 2100 MHz HSPA band, but rather because it has LTE Band 7 (2600 MHz).

Fido/Rogers also operates LTE on the AWS 1700/2100 band (Band 4), but your phone does not support that.

You will have HSPA coverage on the 850 MHz band (but not 1900 MHz), and I believe you will also have GSM as a fall-back option.

I have a phone with similar bands, and it works fine with Fido in Ottawa.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
I'm a Participant Level 1 fungus88
I'm a Participant Level 1

What about the LG optimus G E970 purchased from US?

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_e970-5062.php

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-E970-optimus-g/technical-specifications

I am upgrading it from iphone 4, do I have to get a new sim card for LTE? Cost $$?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
Former Moderator FidoAmandaH
Former Moderator

Hi fungus88,

Once the phone is unlocked and the device has matching LTE bands, you'd need to purchase a new Micro-SIM that is LTE compatible with Fido. All should work fine Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
I'm a Participant Level 2 askwee
I'm a Participant Level 2

Dear Sirs:

Pls inform me whether ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser 3GB + 16 GB ROM is compatable with Fido LTE Bands matcsince it is not refundable when purchased; we remain for your commands

Thank You

Anton Kwee (*******)

***Edited to remove email address***

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7

Hey @askwee and thank you for using the Community Smiley

@Community: anyone and help our friend here with this?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@askwee wrote:

Dear Sirs:

Pls inform me whether ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser 3GB + 16 GB ROM is compatable with Fido LTE Bands matcsince it is not refundable when purchased; we remain for your commands

Thank You

Anton Kwee (*******)

***Edited to remove email address***

Hello Askwee,

Do you know what the version number of the phone model the you're interested in? Also, where are you purchasing the phone from. As far as I can tell, there are at least three models of the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser (ZE601KL , ZE500KL, and ZE550KL). On top of that, each of those have various regional versions.

Judging by those specifications and assuming WW refers to Worldwide, the specifications listed shows the phone would have only one compatible band/frequency for LTE, band 7 (2600MHz). However, I do not see any of the models/versions with 3GB/16GB. The only ones I have seen have 2GB/16GB or 3GB/32GB.

To further complicate matters, in addition to those models listed above, Staples.ca lists an Asus ZE551KL; however, they do not list band/frequency specifications. While that might suggest that the phone is possibly compatible, Canada computers lists an Asus Zenfone 2 Laser (without model number or actual specifications) suggesting that phone is compatible with Wind and Mobilicity. I have not yet seen any specifications which would be compatible with Wind...

**edit** Upon re-opening the Canada computer website, it lists the phone as ZE551KL. Additionally, the specifications listed suggest the phone has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, it also has *all of the compatible bands/frequencies (*with the exception of the recently added band 12). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.**

To answer your question with greater certainty, we would need additional information such as model, version, and where the phone is to be purchased.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7