FIDO IS CHEETING ME AND FOOLING ME

higher_888
I'm a Participant Level 3

I upgraded one of my phone lines and bought a new phone on Fido during their pre-black Friday sale which claims to give 100 dollar credits if I operated anything on-line.  Finally, I found no credits to my account in the recent bill.  I called them, the rep said I choose a loyalty plan which is ineligible to the credits.  They even said loyalty plan normally could not be added on line, but I have everything operated on line.  I really don't buy this explanations because looking at their advertisement, not a single word can be illustrated that some plans available on-line (which they said is loyalty plan but I don't) is excluded.  Not a warning or message trying to let me know that the plan I selected cannot get the credit during the process that I submitted the order.

I am like a fool that they are playing such an insane game to customers they regarded as loyal.  Who knows what plans are loyal or in-market as a normal customer, did fido train the customer to understand these technical or business term?  I am really angry about this cheating or inducing customer to make mistakes.  I reserve the right to pursuit this by law.

5 REPLIES 5
FidoFrancois
Former Moderator

Hello @higher_888

Although it's obviously not the experience we wanted you to have, the details of the promotion were shown in multiple places during the order process. 

As such, we did have a $200 bill credit promotion during Black Friday week and it was specified that the promo was available on select 2-year plans. This was a promotion for upgrades and new line activations. All the select plans showed a "$200 bill credit available with this plan" thumbnail on which you could click or press to see the details. 

If the plan you selected didn't have that pop-up, it wasn't eligible. The bill credit was also to be seen in your cart when you upgraded to reiterate that your order had that bill credit attached to it.

I hope this clarifies things a bit more, even though it's not the answer you were looking for. If you have any unresolved concerns concerning this, we will be happy to go over the details with you and I will be sending you a PM through the Community if you have futher questions.

higher_888

@FidoFrancois 

No, I was not in the promotion period of that 200.  But instead, I was in the 100 promotion before that 200 one. 

It should be similar as this one:

Save $100 when you activate online! Limited time offer

Activate or upgrade to a new phone on a 2-year plan and get a $65 bill credit1 for a limited time only. Plus, save the $35 setup service fee. That’s a total of $100 in savings!

Offer details:

Offers subject to change without notice. A Setup Service Fee of $35 applies to setup your device and related services. The Setup Service Fee is waived through self-serve on fido.ca (but not through Live Chat and Customer Service). If you require device setup in-store thereafter, a $35 Setup Service Fee will apply. Taxes extra.

1. Offer available online only with activation or upgrade of a new phone on an in-market 2-year plan. Bill credit will appear by your second or third bill. Early cancellation fees apply.

From nowhere of these I can read that my upgrade on line does not qualify for the 100 credit.

Hello Higher_888,

Welcome to the community!

Did you see the offer when you accessed your My Account or did you search via Fido.ca?

@higher_888 wrote:...

Offer details:

1. Offer available online only with activation or upgrade of a new phone on an in-market 2-year plan. Bill credit will appear by your second or third bill. Early cancellation fees apply....

The plans on Fido.ca would be the in-market plans. That is, they are available to all customers. However, plans offered to you via My Account could have been loyalty plans, which are not available to all other customers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

higher_888

Hi @Cawtau ,

Thanks for the clarification. 

It is that the topic and all contents of the promotion are very misleading.  As a customer, I never know the difference between a loyalty plan and an in-market plan or the loyalty plan cannot be an in-market plan.  At least you need to mention clearly that Loyalty plan is not eligible.  When I chose the plan, no pop-out nor notice that this is not included in your promotion.  And because it is operated by customer online, no assistance to clarify this, So I believe this is really not a good business approach.   

Look at the advertisement:  Activate or upgrade to a new phone on a 2-year plan and get a $65 bill credit1 for a limited time only.  This means if you do the first part, then you get the bill credit.  Only the time is limited.  At least you need to specifically point out loyalty plan is excluded.

So right now I am not arguing that 65 dollar credit.  Look at this: https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03133.html.  

The Competition Act contains provisions addressing false or misleading representations and deceptive marketing practices in promoting the supply or use of a product or any business interest. All representations, in any form whatever, that are false or misleading in a material respect are subject to the Act. If a representation could influence a consumer to buy or use the product or service advertised, it is material. To determine whether a representation is false or misleading, the courts consider the "general impression" it conveys, as well as its literal meaning.

Do you want to train the customer about the in-market plan and loyalty plan at first before posting the promotion?  This case definitely break the Competition Act.  

Hello again,

I'm sorry if you misunderstood the advertisment.

@higher_888 wrote:...

Look at the advertisement:  Activate or upgrade to a new phone on a 2-year plan and get a $65 bill credit1 for a limited time only.  This means if you do the first part, then you get the bill credit.  Only the time is limited.  At least you need to specifically point out loyalty plan is excluded......

Is that the promotion you tried to get? There is a similar promotion currently available online. The '1' beside credit is a superscript (see orange arrow in image below).

Promo.jpg

That superscript means that the offer is limited to whatever details are listed in the Full details.

Advertisements simply cannot include all information in large print  because space is limited. The use of superscripts and footnotes is widely used to provide additional information. Practically every promotional advertisement will have some sort of footnoted additional detail. I just went through some Walmart coupons as an example. Most of the coupons have the disclaimer: Some exclusions apply.

You could certainly make a complaint to the Competition Bureau, however, I don't think they will find the advertisement to be false or misleading because the information was provided in the Full Details. 

@higher_888 wrote:...Not a warning or message trying to let me know that the plan I selected cannot get the credit during the process that I submitted the order.

Presumably, if you ordered an in-market plan, the credits would have been noted in the purchase summary. The fact you did not note any credits when you submitted your order could have been indication the plan you chose wasn't eligible. Why would the system warn you that you chose a plan which was not eligible for a certain promotion? Perhaps the plan you chose was actually better than any available in-market plan at the time. Loyalty offers usually are better than in-market plans. Should the system suggest you get a more expensive plan just so you can avail of a certain promotion? If it did, there would be people who would complain that it's trying to steer customers away from loyalty offers.

I'm sorry you did not know the difference between loyalty offers and in-market plans. However, everytime you see an advertisement (for anything, not necessarily from Fido), you should ask questions. Does it apply to everyone? Are there limitations? What are those limitations? etc..

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers