Extremely Unsatisfied with Fido Device Protection

SOLVED
Adje
I'm a Participant Level 1

Howdy,

I am making this post with the intention of raising awareness that the Device Protection system fails to provide a proper service for "lower end" phones.

BACKGROUND: I currently have an LG G3 (worth: unlocked, selling online from $200- $300 new.).

I have had device protection for the last 16 months (at $11 a month, that's approximately $175).

Recently, my LG g3's port charger was damaged (I was able to fix it myself, but say I hadn't). Repairing the port charger would cost $100 at local repair stores. Replacing the phone with Asurian would cost $200. I'll list the my potential cost options towards the bottom and you can perhaps then you will see why Asurion's Device Proction is not worth it for lower end phones.

As well, I know it has been mentioned on the forms that the device replacement fee varies between devices, but I have just got off the phone with a Fido representative and told this was not the case, and that the replacement fee device is standard for all devices. Their website says that the device fee does indeed change, but we'll ignore this matter and focus on the fact that the LG G3's replacement fee is $200.

My issue is that it would be more expensive to replace the device (along with paying insurance) then to simply buy another phone outright or to upgrade my phone with fido (in terms of another 2 year contract).

My potential options were as follows:

1) Repair the phone at a local repair shop.

$100 (repair cost)

2) Pay the remaining cost of the phone and then upgrade into another 2 year contract:

$125 (remaining cost of phone. I am almost done my 2 year contract).

3)Buy another LG G3:

~$250

4) Pay insurance and then pay Asurion's replacement fee:

$175 (current amount paid of insurance

$200 (replacement fee)

Total:

$375

In essence, this device protection was the most expensive option. Upon entering a 2 year contract, it is simply not worth it, especially in the second year when paying off your phone is not that expensive.

All in all, the Device Proction fails for "lower end" phones, such as the LG G3. I'm disappointed in this failure to accomodate people who don't get the newest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.

I'm very happy with Fido itself, but Asurion's replacement fee makes Device Protection absolutely not worth it.

I hope this post helps you make a decision regarding getting the Device Protection!

Cheers.

**Edited to add label

Accepted Solution

Re: Extremely Unsatisfied with Fido Device Protection

Solved by Former Moderator FidoTerry

Welcome to the community @Adje

One of the advantage the device protection has is that you can get a replacement within 48 hours after filing the claim. A repair shop can take longer depending on the situation.

In your case, it seems it's more of an advantage to get a new phone on agreement instead of getting the replacement. However that will also mean that you will be on a new agreement while the replacement can give you the option to choose a BYOP ( Bring your own phone ) plan after your current agreement is done. You can always remove the device protection if you no longer need it, but you may not be able to add it back when you do need it. 

Of course, it's not for everyone but it gives you the reassurance that it's there in case anything bad happens to your phone. Hope this helps and thanks for sharing your feedback. Smiley

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
blossomgervais
I'm a Participant Level 2

Technically it takes more than 48 hrs to receive a new phone.i have sent all my papers by email and faxi still have the phone box,the screen on my phone went black possibly from an internal crack and have been waiting a week for an answer...I purchased my phone last year!

Hey @blossomgervais

Did you try to reach out to Asurion to see why the delay is longer than 48 hours? You should also be able to check the status of your claim on their website! 

blossomgervais
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi!yes I've called them several times already.and I check my claims page everyday,nothing.I will call them again tomorrow 

I definitely suggest giving them a call! 

Keep us posted Tongue

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @Adje

One of the advantage the device protection has is that you can get a replacement within 48 hours after filing the claim. A repair shop can take longer depending on the situation.

In your case, it seems it's more of an advantage to get a new phone on agreement instead of getting the replacement. However that will also mean that you will be on a new agreement while the replacement can give you the option to choose a BYOP ( Bring your own phone ) plan after your current agreement is done. You can always remove the device protection if you no longer need it, but you may not be able to add it back when you do need it. 

Of course, it's not for everyone but it gives you the reassurance that it's there in case anything bad happens to your phone. Hope this helps and thanks for sharing your feedback. Smiley