Extra fee on bill

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Extra fee on bill

Hi, i just got a new sim on 4th of Jan. 2020 , a plan of 45$ but i noticed my first bill came with extraa fees of 35$ !!!! As per the email sent to me by fido:

"Your first bill may be a bit higher than you expected as it includes partial charges and credits or one-time fees"

If i changed my plan next month, will i pay those extra fees again ??? And why do i have to pay them on top of my bill anyway ?????

Accepted Solution

Re: Extra fee on bill

Hello @Limyoona,

Welcome to the community!

In your case, the $35 is most likely a one-time activation fee.

Keep in mind you can change your plan at any time.

If you change plan within the same tier eg. small -> small, medium -> medium, BYOP -> BYOP, etc, there is no fee to do that regardless if a Fido agent does it or you do it yourself online.

If you change from a BYOP plan to another BYOP plan there is no fee to do that.

If you change tier eg. small -> medium or another different tier then you will essentially have to pay out your current balance, that is the subsidy you got if/when you got a device on contract. If you change plan tier and enter into another contract with a new device then you will be charged a one-time $35 hardware upgrade fee unless you do it yourself online at fido.ca.

You can view other administrative charges/fees that Fido has here.

Hope this helps.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Limyoona,

Have you had a chance to view the details of your bill? You should be able to view the extra charges via My Account --> Billing & Payments --> View Bill (see here)

@Limyoona wrote:..."Your first bill may be a bit higher than you expected as it includes partial charges and credits or one-time fees"...

The $35 is likely the activation fee.

In addition, your billing cycle usually starts the day (possibly a couple of days) after you signed up. For the first few days before your billing cycle begins, your services and fees may be prorated (see here and here). That is, you don't get charged a full month's fees for only a couple of days service. You only get charged for those days. Your first bill will include the monthly fees for the upcoming month as well as those first few days of service. That is what they meant by that statement.

To answer your question, if you change your plan next month, there would be the $35 administrative fee unless you make the change online. As for the monthly fees, they will also be prorated depending on when you make the changes.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Solution

Hello @Limyoona,

In your case, the $35 is most likely a one-time activation fee.

Keep in mind you can change your plan at any time.

If you change plan within the same tier eg. small -> small, medium -> medium, BYOP -> BYOP, etc, there is no fee to do that regardless if a Fido agent does it or you do it yourself online.

If you change from a BYOP plan to another BYOP plan there is no fee to do that.

If you change tier eg. small -> medium or another different tier then you will essentially have to pay out your current balance, that is the subsidy you got if/when you got a device on contract. If you change plan tier and enter into another contract with a new device then you will be charged a one-time $35 hardware upgrade fee unless you do it yourself online at fido.ca.

You can view other administrative charges/fees that Fido has here.

Hope this helps.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted

Hello @KAPABLE-K 

Thank you for replying,  I'm not quite familiar with the term BOYP so I'm gonna check your link. 

I have brought my own device, only the SIM card is from fido and I'm not in a contract so i guess that should've been cheaper ??? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted

Hello @Limyoona,

BYOP means Bring Your Own Phone those plans don't allow a subsidy on a phone. Those plans tend to be a bit cheaper because the subsidy is not built-in to the plan for the phone.

But if you want to get a phone from Fido then you will have to change to plan that allows a subsidy for a phone.

If you do the change on fido.ca then you will not be charge the $35 fee.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5