Extended coverage

Extended coverage

Extended coverage

SOLVED
lindam
I'm Helpful Level 2

Extended coverage

Last Saturday we spent the afternoon in Belleville touring Loyalist college.  There's an excellent chance my daughter will be spending two years there.  While we were there, we noticed our phones were roaming on extended coverage.  I did a quick search to see what that meant, and found out that extended coverage could be revoked if Fido deems the user is using it excessively?  Did I read that right?  There seemed to be poor coverage, too.  If she ends up at Loyalist, will she be penalized for having to use the extended coverage because Fido doesn't appear to extend to the college?  Before I start looking at other options, I figured I should see what support has to say about it. 

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solution

Re: Extended coverage

Solved by MVP MVP

Hi @lindam

If she will be living in the extended coverage area then Fido is not an option. Here is a quote from a Fido representative.

"Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. 
You can still use your service on our network."

This is taken from this post here.

You can also get more info on Fido extended coverage here.
View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@lindam wrote:

Last Saturday we spent the afternoon in Belleville touring Loyalist college.  There's an excellent chance my daughter will be spending two years there.  While we were there, we noticed our phones were roaming on extended coverage.  I did a quick search to see what that meant, and found out that extended coverage could be revoked if Fido deems the user is using it excessively?  Did I read that right?  There seemed to be poor coverage, too.  If she ends up at Loyalist, will she be penalized for having to use the extended coverage because Fido doesn't appear to extend to the college?  Before I start looking at other options, I figured I should see what support has to say about it. 

Thanks in advance

Hello Lindam,

With regards to Extended coverage, yes, it is only meant to be used on a short-term basis. If usage on Fido-EXT exceeds 50%, then it may get blocked. I think it has more to do with the other providers rather than Fido not wishing its customers to continue to use the service. If a user is spending more time roaming on their network, they would rather that user be their customer.

With regards to coverage, judging from this screen capture taken from here, there do not appear to be cell towers in the vicinity of the college proper.

Loyalist.jpg

I cannot vouch for accuracy.

Since there doesn't appear to be any cell towers closer to the college, I'm not sure if there are any better options. When on Fido-EXT, you were likely on Bell's networks. However, you also noted that coverage seemed poor as well. You might consider reaching out to faculty and current students to get a better idea of how the cellular service in the area is like and what their solutions are.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

lindam
I'm Helpful Level 2

So the bottom line appears to be that I will have to pay for a service she is unable to use while away at school? Telling her to use WiFi exclusively is not going to happen when I pay so much to have Fido. If she is going to be penalized for excessive use of EC, then she will have to remove her SIM card to avoid using the Fido network at all. That's just ludicrous and not an acceptable solution.  I understand that previously I would have had to pay for roaming.  But that was then.  I pay good money to use Fido and seem to be losing more than I'm gaining with every Fido "upgrade."

I have till August to find a solution that involves Fido;  or doesn't.  I know for sure I will not continue to pay for a service that is pretty much unusable a lot of the time.  Will I get a discount on her monthly plan since Fido has decided she can't use it the way it's meant to be used?

I thought not.

@lindam wrote:

So the bottom line appears to be that I will have to pay for a service she is unable to use while away at school? Telling her to use WiFi exclusively is not going to happen when I pay so much to have Fido. If she is going to be penalized for excessive use of EC, then she will have to remove her SIM card to avoid using the Fido network at all. That's just ludicrous and not an acceptable solution.  I understand that previously I would have had to pay for roaming.  But that was then.  I pay good money to use Fido and seem to be losing more than I'm gaining with every Fido "upgrade."

I have till August to find a solution that involves Fido;  or doesn't.  I know for sure I will not continue to pay for a service that is pretty much unusable a lot of the time.  Will I get a discount on her monthly plan since Fido has decided she can't use it the way it's meant to be used?

I thought not.

Hi @lindam

In this case its not Fido that is preventing her from using the phone as intended, you are trying to use it not intended and still Fido allows it to be used but with limited allowance.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hi @lindam

If she will be living in the extended coverage area then Fido is not an option. Here is a quote from a Fido representative.

"Extended Coverage is meant for occasional use only and the policy is outlined in the Fido brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on fido.ca. 
Once at least 50% of your recent usage is done within the Extended Coverage network we block your access to the Extended network. 
You can still use your service on our network."

This is taken from this post here.

You can also get more info on Fido extended coverage here.

lindam
I'm Helpful Level 2

What a load of BS.  I'll wait for a Fido employee to tell me she can't use her phone while away and that she will be cut off from contacting family and friends if she abuses the privilege of using Fido's EC (I'm sort of being sarcastic, but not....)

If it turns out that she definitely will need another phone to go to college, then that will be what decides if I stay with Fido once my contract is done in July.  I have 4 lines with Fido.  In the grand scheme of things, my leaving won't be noticed, but I'll be damned if I will give Fido any more of my money.

Now I'm irked.  Angry

Look at it this way before the extended coverage was introduce we either had no coverage in those areas or we would have paid for roaming.

Now if she will be at school most of the time and have access to a WiFi connection i'm sure she can use WiFi calling with a compatible phone.