(Error) Wifi Detected - Cannot buy Data Passport Moto E

potato_planet
I'm a Participant Level 3

I do not have a data plan, I want to purchase data passports. This is a new Moto E FIDO phone.

When I turn on Data, and turn OFF Wifi, to try and purchase a passport on my phone, it forwards me to a page that says " (Error) Wifi detected..." even tho the Wifi is OFF. I have also turned background data off and still get this message. I have even tried going to an area where there are no Wifi networks in reach and still get this message.

I have tried resetting the data setting, and restarting my phone and I still get this error.

I have tried setting up a new VPN (the one for non-Fido phones) and still get this error.

Please help.

14 REPLIES 14
FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hi @potato_planet

Welcome to the Community! Have you tried to complete a factory reset of the phone?

potato_planet

I have not. But it has been doing this 'out of the box's since I first turned it on.

Hey @potato_planet Smiley

Just doing a quick followup with you.

Do you have any update abou this?

potato_planet

No this did nothing at all.

Also, not sure if related, but I have noticed i can't connect to Wifi networks that require a pop-up to log in. Like for example Tim Horton's Wifi, Ile sans fils, and the like. The pop-up asking me to log in just never shows up. I was on vacation for the past 4 days and went to many different places where I was never able to connect. One time the Tim Horton's log in screen popped up, out of like 5 I went to. everyone else in my group had no issues.

@Community

Anyone else already had the same issue?

potato_planet

Also, I rememeber that on my old phone I would get a text message from fido asking me to buy data passport when i turned data on, this text message never comes on this phone.

Hey @potato_planet

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at this together. Smiley 

unkelben
I'm a Participant Level 2

Same problem here, any solution?

Hi @unkelben!

Which data pass are you trying to get?

What kind of phone do you have?

Can you tell me the error message you're experiencing?

Let us know!

unkelben
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have an unlocked LG G4. I don't have a data plan. Mobile data is enabled.

I texted "oui" to 3282 to get a data passport and received a link to www.fido.mobi/data

I follow this link and end up on a generic "you are currently not connected" page in the browser.

Hi @unkelnem & welcome to the Community! Smiley

When you clicked on the link, did you have your cellular data enabled, or were you connected to WiFi?

@unkelben wrote:

Same problem here, any solution?

Hello Unkelben,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not sure if they found a solution, but here are some things you might consider...

Have you tried to turn off location services? Have you tried to turn off Scanning Always Available option in Advanced Wifi settings? Have you tried to turn off connection optimiser? Under settings --> more settings --> mobile networks --> automatic connections.

You might also consider going through the permissions on your apps. Some apps have the ability to keep/turn on Wifi and turn on/off data as well. Apparently, the anti-theft feature in Avast is keeps Wifi on. Some other apps also have permissions to do so as well. If you do find such an app on your phone, you might be able to simply force stop the app or disable certain features. On the other hand, you might have to consider uninstalling the app(s).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

potato_planet

still looking for a solution to this...

Can you give it a shot and tell us how it goes?