Early Termination Fee

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Early Termination Fee

I signed a 3 year contract in December of 2012. It is now September of 2014. I signed a $25 plan with a $25 data add on for 500 MB. I called customer service last week and had them change my plan to the current $50 plan, with data included. 

Now, I want to terminate the contract. How do I find out how much the early termination fee is? 

According to this page on the Ontario government website: https://www.ontario.ca/consommateurs/can-i-be-charged-free-or-subsidized-cellphone-came-my-plan-if-i... , "The rules of the WSAA apply to you if you sign, renew, or amend your wireless contract on or after April 1, 2014". Does me changing my plan constitute as 'amending my contract'? Because if so, then the following applies to me:

"

If you have a fixed-term contract

1. Multiply the retail price of the cellphone, device or subsidy you received by the number of months that you have kept the contract or by 24, whichever is less. An estimated retail price of your device or subsidy must be included in your contract. Your contract may call the value of your subsidy the “value of the inducement.”

For example, if your phone is $400 retail and you have kept your contract for 23 months, multiply 400 by 23. The total is 9200.

2. Take that result number from step 1 and divide it by the number of months that the contract was for or by 24, whichever is less. (The 24 represents 2 years or the number of months after which you can’t be charged for cancelling a contract.)

For example, if the contract was for 48 months, you would divide by 24, since that is the smaller number. Divide 9200 by 24. The result is 383.

3. Finally, subtract the number you get in step 2 from the retail price of the phone.

In this case, take 383 away from 400 (the retail price for the phone). The final result is 17.

The final number that you get is the amount that you will have to pay to cancel the contract. In our example, you would have to pay $17 to cancel after 23 months."

On my fido contract, it says my total inducement was $450. I do not know the 2012 retail price of the HTC One S, however. 

Does this apply to my contract? If not, where can I find out my cancellation fee?

Accepted Solution

Re: Early Termination Fee

Hi there, I invite you to contact customer service to have more information regarding your cancelation fee. Also note that the CRTC decided that the Code applies to agreements that started on or after December 2, 2013.
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

I also want to know about this but mine is slightly different as my contract expired in December. So for me I plan on doing the hardware upgrade and I'm told that I am eligible for the upgrade because of my price plan.
Just wondering what would be cheaper for me at the end..buying the iPhone 6 outright port my number to somewhere else or get it subsidized with Fido then cancel it later on.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi there, I invite you to contact customer service to have more information regarding your cancelation fee. Also note that the CRTC decided that the Code applies to agreements that started on or after December 2, 2013.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3