Downgrading

Downgrading

Downgrading

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 1

Downgrading

Hello, I am barely using my phone right now because of the pandemic. I'm wondering if downgrading my phone from XL to Medium means a new 2-year agreement or does the 2-year agreement only change if I get a new phone? Please help. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Downgrading

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Iamepic,

Welcome to the community!

Are you currently under contract? If you are currently under contract with a XL plan, changing your plan to a Medium plan would require you to pay an additional amout for your device. That additional amount would be due to the difference between subsidy categories. The duration of your agreement would remain the same.

You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. 

Since the switch in plan models, you should also note that there may be fewer subsidised options for you to downgrade. In fact, if there are no lower subsidised options, you might need to pay out the balance of your device to get a new plan.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Senior MVP

Hello Iamepic,

Welcome to the community!

Are you currently under contract? If you are currently under contract with a XL plan, changing your plan to a Medium plan would require you to pay an additional amout for your device. That additional amount would be due to the difference between subsidy categories. The duration of your agreement would remain the same.

You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. 

Since the switch in plan models, you should also note that there may be fewer subsidised options for you to downgrade. In fact, if there are no lower subsidised options, you might need to pay out the balance of your device to get a new plan.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers