Does use of network-based GPS incur FIDO data charges?

SOLVED
montrealskier
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hello,

My Nokia C6 offers any combination of five options for using the built in GPS hardware.

With integrated GPS, it may take up to 10 minutes to receive what the phone needs from the satelites before working.

Assisted GPS works faster but requires that data packets be sent and received from the FIDO server to augment the slowly arriving satelite initialization data.Here data charges clearly apply. A third but less precise option is the network based GPS which is a cell-based locating technique where the signal strength from nearby FIDO towers is measured and an approximate position is calculated by the phone. This later option would have to obtain via the FIDO network some rudimentry information about the longitude and latitude of the cell tower positions. It may be that this information is already encoded into the cell tower broadcasting radio signals and thus would be free of charge, or this information would have to be additionaly supplied as data packets and consequently billable.

Does anyone know if the use of network based GPS is for free or billable?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Does use of network-based GPS incur FIDO data charges?

Solved by I'm an Expert Level 2

GPS location data must use data, theres a menu in my black berry to enable or disable it, even when roaming. i would not want it on when im roaming, it can be expensive.  cell triangulation should not consume data as its done on the gmpc and the rnc

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

GPS location data must use data, theres a menu in my black berry to enable or disable it, even when roaming. i would not want it on when im roaming, it can be expensive.  cell triangulation should not consume data as its done on the gmpc and the rnc

montrealskier
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Thank you Paolo, it would appear from your explanation that the position data of the cell tower is encoded directly into the radio signal without requiring a separate data packet.