Does new user need pay for his first Fido sim card in store?

SOLVED
Tommycai
I'm a Participant Level 2

When I signed up at a Fido store recently, I was charged $11.50 for a sim card. However, my friend who also uses fido said that she did not have to pay this fee. Was i mistakenly charged, and if so is a refund possible?

Accepted Solution

Re: Does new user need pay for his first Fido sim card in store?

Solved by Moderator

Hey @li199

Welcome to the community Smiley

I've moved your post to this thread as it seemed relevant to your inquiry. To add on what was mentioned by @FidoKenny, here’s how it works:

• SIM Card purchase only – if you burnt, lost or broke your SIM and just want to replace it: You’ll only pay $10 for the SIM Card since it’s not paired with a new activation.
  • SIM Card purchase + activation of a postpaid subscriber within the same transaction: You’ll pay the $30 Transaction Fee only. The SIM Card charge is included when you activate an account right away.
  • SIM Card purchase + activation of a postpaid subscriber at a later time: You’ll pay $10 for the SIM card.  Once you decide to activate it, you’ll also pay the $30 for Transaction Fee for the activation.

Does one of these situations apply to you?

View solution in context
11 REPLIES 11
Michellehcl
I'm a Participant Level 1

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have opened up an account few days ago in a fido store which is nearby the Walmart. I was asked to pay C$10.00 for the new sim card and I had paid it in cash without any bill for that. Would I ask the purpose of this fee? It is a regular fee or not? Because I have heard that my friend in the same situation who did not have to pay this fee.

Best regards

Hey @Michellehcl

Welcome to the Community!

It is a reguler fee, yes. The SIM card fee is $10 + tx Smiley

You should still be able to have a receipt though, you could ask the store for that if anything

As for your friend, it would depend on his situation but most of the time there is a fee associated to a new Fido Sim Card

hoya98

Hi!

I have bought a fido card in 6700 ave de la cote-des-neiges unit K61.And they charged me 11.5 dollars "for a new sim card".I heard that it's free for a sim card,so i want to get my money back.

Thank you.

Hey @hoya98

I moved your post here as it is on the same topic as your question.

As we mentioned in a previous post, if you only bought a SIM, but didn't activate at the store, it is normal that the store would have charged you for it.  It is only free when you activate a service at the same time as getting it.

I hope it clarifies Smiley

patrickchan
I'm Experienced Level 1

you should be able to get the new sim free, as i did , perhaps i am an old user with fido. however, sims are very low cost to carriers, so you should get it for free since you are an customer. 

Hey @patrickchan

Just to clarify that the SIM cards actually do have a cost. You can check out the different scenarios on when they are not billed in the accepted solution above, in this thread. Smiley 

FidoKenny

Hey @Tommycai Smiley

I just have a few questions for you in order to answer your question.

1. Did they take care of the activation at the store for you?
2. Did you purchase the sim card, then activated your account online or by contacting the customer service?

Let me know.

Tommycai
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello, 

For the 1st question, I resume that they activated the sim card in the store so that I can use it immediately.

The 2nd question, I activated my fido account online later by myself.

From there, the only thing that would be charged should be the transaction fee.

So to answer your question, no you shouldn't be charged for a SIM card on a brand new activation.

I would like to take a look at what happened with you.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into. Talk to you soon Smiley

li199

Dear Sir/Madam

I opened up an account this afternoon in a fido store. I was asked to pay $10.00 for the new sim card and I paid it in cash without any bill for that. May I ask if it is a regular fee your company charges or an unreasonable fee?Thank you!

Best wishes

Hey @li199

I've moved your post to this thread as it seemed relevant to your inquiry. To add on what was mentioned by @FidoKenny, here’s how it works:

• SIM Card purchase only – if you burnt, lost or broke your SIM and just want to replace it: You’ll only pay $10 for the SIM Card since it’s not paired with a new activation.
  • SIM Card purchase + activation of a postpaid subscriber within the same transaction: You’ll pay the $30 Transaction Fee only. The SIM Card charge is included when you activate an account right away.
  • SIM Card purchase + activation of a postpaid subscriber at a later time: You’ll pay $10 for the SIM card.  Once you decide to activate it, you’ll also pay the $30 for Transaction Fee for the activation.

Does one of these situations apply to you?