Device Savings Recovery Fee

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 2

Just received a bill for $206.25 Device Savings Recovery Fee!!! I can't beleive this!  Last month I requested to switch to a new plan, I had been on the same plan for many years which hasn't even existed for the past 6 - FIDO just grandfathered it over the past decade. I didn't upgrade my phone, and I didn't close my account.  The invoice with the $206.25 Device Savings Recovery Fee, even states that I'm still committed until Jan 2018 [which is what I agreed to when I last renewed with FIDO in Jan 2016]:

You added Fido Pulse Plus7 Plan
Commitment Period: 2 years Ending Jan 26/18
I can't beleive this!  I've been with FIDO for over 20 years, but I've lost alot of confidence in the service over the past year.  This recent hidden expense, just makes me want to walk away...I also contacted Customer Support in writing, and was told a supervisor would be contacting me...

Accepted Solution

Re: Device Savings Recovery Fee

Solved by Moderator

Hi @karabeth,

Sorry to hear you had a surprise bill! 

It seems to me that you changed to (or were put on) the wrong category of plans which ended up costing you a buyout fee. 

You can contact our Customer Service here for any billing questions: http://fido.ly/2e5YSdk.

For now, I will send you a PM to look into it. 

Thanks. 

View solution in context
14 REPLIES 14
I'm a Participant Level 1

Same thing, changed the plan - got chagred recovery fee for 6o dollars. Noone told - looks like it is a regular practice to suck the money from customers.

I am with Fido for 10 years. 

Won't pay this fees anyway. 

Hey @shura420

I can understand how unwanted charges can be a surprise. 

To get any assistance with your invoice, you can contact us anytime.

You can find our contact page here.

I'm a Participant Level 3

I am beyond shocked and angry.  I've been a fido customer for over 20 years and called to get long distance added to call the US.  The agent told me about this great new plan he could change me to, I've had the same plan for 20 years but I let him convince me. now I've just been hit with a $30 dollar "Device Savings Recovery Fee".  I did not upgrade my phone it's the same 3 year old phone I had before.  What is this about!!

Hey @dvivster

Welcome to the Community! Smiley 

Wow! 20 years, thank you for sharing all of this time with us! As for the Device Savings Recovery Fee, it sounds like your plan change might have been from one with agreement to a ``Bring Your Own Phone`` plan, at which point it would cancel out the agreement and charge back the remaining balance left owing on the phone. 

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. 

What!  This is the first time I am hearing about this,  I feel completely duped and violated, I was convinced by your rep to change my 20 year old plan and this was never ever ever mentioned, Not at all.  All I wanted was to add US long distance and now I feel like a sucker after letting him talk me into this supposedly "great new plan" he found for me.  And to think I even thanked him, not realizing I was being tricked, this is not how a 20 year customer should be treated

Hey @dvivster,

I get where you're coming from and we'd love the chance to sort this out with you.

I've replied to your last message. We can continue in PM if that's alright with you.

Sure how do I do that

@dvivster I received your PM and replied Smiley 

Hi @karabeth,

Sorry to hear you had a surprise bill! 

It seems to me that you changed to (or were put on) the wrong category of plans which ended up costing you a buyout fee. 

You can contact our Customer Service here for any billing questions: http://fido.ly/2e5YSdk.

For now, I will send you a PM to look into it. 

Thanks. 

I am in the same boat, just spent 2 hrs. on the phone with a rep to change to the $60.00 a month plan to keep up with Freddon obile, was never told about this charge, received my bill today and there it was. I will be calling customer service tomorrow. Am really upset as the 10gb haven't even started yet, supposedluy takes at least a month

Hi @char13 & welcome to the Community!

That definitely doesn't sound right; were you able to reach someone about this?

I was babysitting my granddaughter and could not wait on hold for 40 minutes to an hour. Will have to try on the weekend, or early next week. Obviously we are not the only ones having issues. I remember reading that I could change to the $60.00 promotion on line and you would not have to pay a fee, but they were not allowing those changes on line. Not at all impressed.

Hello Char13,

Welcome to the community!

What fee were you charged? Upgrading online only waives any transaction fees (see here). The Device Savings Recovery Fee (DSRF) of this thread refers to the amount of subsidy remaining on a contract when you cancel. Those fees would not be waived since it's what someone might owe on a phone. Did you have a previous contract? If you did, that could explain why you received a DSRF charge. The $60 promotion was only for BYOP plans. The promotion with contract was $85, I believe.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

I'm Qualified Level 1

I think what happened is that this person switched to a $60 promotion from a previous plan.  I belive one of the requirements is that the subscriber has to pay off your current balance oweing on the current phone (also known as device recovery fee or device balance) before you can sign up for the $60/10 GB promotion plan.  When you sign up for the $60 promotion plan, the balance you owe is written on the contract.  

Please ALWAYS read before you sign on the dotted line.