Device Protection Plan

Device Protection Plan

Device Protection Plan

SOLVED
Lavalian
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Device Protection Plan

Hello Fido,

Quick question. I currently have 2 brand new and also now broken LG G5 devices. Both have monthly device protection. If I wanted to get new phones, am I obligated to get the same phone?

Thank you,

Angela

Accepted Solution

Re: Device Protection Plan

Solved by MVP MVP

@Lavalian Its not up to Fido, Fido just sells the protection for the insurance company so any talks would be between you and the insurance company. 

View solution in context
11 REPLIES 11
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Lavalian That would be up to the insurance company usually they give you the same phone and you do know you have to pay a $200 deductible.

Lavalian

@KAPABLE-K 

Hey,

Yes I am aware of the deductible. At this point, paying another $200 for another one is fine. I don't mind getting the same one but my 2nd line refuses to have the same device again, with good reason. Is there any way Fido is able to verify this or must I call myself??

@Lavalian Its not up to Fido, Fido just sells the protection for the insurance company so any talks would be between you and the insurance company. 

Lavalian

Well for anybody wanting to know, device protection will only replace the same device. Shame. No point in having this monthly service. Thank you for the quick response anyways @KAPABLE-K. Much appreciated.

@Lavalian you are paying to insure a LG G5 so its only fair for you to get a LG G5.

Lavalian

I understand that. The phone has great features such as the dual camera and what not but what I can't seem to understand is how this phone typicalliy goes for $800! By far the cheapest phone I've ever owned!! My 2nd phone literally dropped from a foot (if even) and the camera glass, screen glass and light glass completely shattered. No more flashlight, camera, earphone jack. Its unreal. my older devices *samsung s5, htc m8, iphone 5s etc.. went through 1000x more abuse (I'm not putting any on) and they are still going. Dropped in water, on the ground, toilets lol and and have never suffered the damage like the G5 combined  Not to mention there still is no root for the canadian version of the G5. It just sucks that I renewed 2 two year contracts to these devices and one is scrapped and the other not far. 

Lavalian

Fido,

This is an e-mail I sent Asurian just a few moments ago.

To whom it may concern,

I recently purchased (September 2016) two (2) LG G5's from Fido. Both devices were banged up within a few weeks. (You may even view some of the history on Fido community forums (http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/message-id/24302)
I contacted your company (Asurion) last week and ordered a new phone (I did not want the same bloody phone, but eh, that's how Asurion's device protection works) $$$$230, 48 hours later, my other half goings to plug it IN HIS BRAND NEW, 2 MONTH OLD COMPUTER AND IT BLOWS OUT HIS COMPUTER AND THE REPLACEMENT PHONE!!! His 1st broken to pieces phone never had this problem.
Now what I am asking myself is why did we get a refurbished phone after paying $230?! along with $22 a month I'm spending for device protection!!! This phone needs to be replaced ASAP please. With a new device. I've been a Fido customer for 8 years, spend a few hundred a month and now I have no brand new computer, no "$800" cell phone and one hell of a headache. I would appreciate a call back as soon as possible to discuss this please

Thank you,

Angela

Fido, what the he!! What is going on? This is nuts! Not to mention this put me in a monetary hole at the worst possible time of the year. I read the Rogers-Fido fine print. I don't get why 

" THERE IS NO ASSURANCE, REPRESENTATION, OR WARRANTY THAT ANY REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT WILL BE IDENTICAL OR OFFER THE SAME FUNCTIONALITIES AS THE ITEM BEING REPLACED. REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT WILL BE NEW, REMANUFACTURED OR REFURBISHED, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION. The Replacement Equipment immediately becomes the Covered Equipment. If We replace Your equipment under the Device Protection Plan Contract, We reserve the right to take possession and ownership of Your defective Covered Equipment. You hereby assign to Us all rights and benefits of any manufacturer’s warranty or other ancillary coverage related to any Covered Equipment that We replace.

Why do I pay $11/month and then $230 for a refurbrished safety hazard?!

So disappointed Sad

Hi there @Lavalian

Thanks for getting back to us!

When a customer signs-up for the Fido Device Protection service, we provide all of the details concerning this program on a seperate printed document

The information is also sent by email, when you first register. 

Lastly, we provide all of the details concerning this program on Fido.ca HERE

Feel free to check out the details through the link above. You can click on "-See Full Details" at the bottom of the page, to read the general information (Terms of Use). 

To recap, the Device Protection Program lets you subscribe to a monthly  (through Asurion), which lets you get a replacement phone at a set cost. 

Without the Device Protection Program, your only other option to get a new phone through Fido is to buyout of the months left on your contract. 

The Replacement Fee (billed by Asurion) is often much smaller then the actual cost to buy-out of your contract, but this can depend on how many months are left in your contract!

If you'd like to compare the cost to buyout of your contract, and the cost to replace your phone, let me know! Smiley

We can check that out together!

Lavalian

Hi Catherine,

I had quickly read through the side print but honestly, I just was not expectecting such poorly refurbished devices in return.

Seeing as I just renewed both contracts in September, I don't think anything would be to my advantage?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Smiley

Hey @LAVALBABY  I understand Smiley Let us know if you'd like to take a look at other options.

Cheers Smiley

Hey @Lavalian! You can call Asurion (the company @KAPABLE-K is referring to) at 1-866-327-3399 or visit their site for more info.