Device Protection Plan on my bill even if I said no?

I'm a Participant Level 2 NeoArashi
I'm a Participant Level 2

Device Protection Plan on my bill even if I said no?

So 3 days ago, I upgraded my phone, and added my girlfriend to my account. So naturally, we both got a new phone. We both specifically said that we do NOT want the premium protection plan.

A couple of minutes ago, I get an email from the company Fido deal with for their protection plan. And I get an e-mail Thanking me for using their services. I was like ***?

I get another look at my 2 contracts (my new phone, and the phone my GF got). Everything's in order for my GF's phone (The only extra fees are the 911 fees of 0.46$) but when I look at mine, I noticed the extra fees totalises 11.46$ meaning I actually get charged 11$ for the services I specifically said I didn't want.  

It's not the first time it happened. (However, last time it did, we sucked it up and for once, the service was used because my phone broke). When the guy showed me the total price, I thought he meant total with taxes (without the 11$ fees) Now I realise, (and It's my fault for not looking properly, I admit) the ammount was BEFORE taxes...

did this happen to any of you?

Accepted Solution

Re: Device Protection Plan on my bill even if I said no?

Seems I can just call 611 and have the protection plan removed, is that correct? If that's the case, I'm gonna have to wait until friday, when I pay my account (I'm ashamed to admit that due to unforseen events, I'm late for last month's payment)

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted

Hey @NeoArashi.

That's not the experience that we want for any of our customers. If the device protection is on your services and you want it removed, you can reach us on our channels here to take care of that.

We can also send you a PM here on the Community to take care of it.

Let us know what's best for you Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
I'm a Participant Level 2 NeoArashi
I'm a Participant Level 2
Solution

Seems I can just call 611 and have the protection plan removed, is that correct? If that's the case, I'm gonna have to wait until friday, when I pay my account (I'm ashamed to admit that due to unforseen events, I'm late for last month's payment)

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6

You can definitely call 611 to have this resolved if you prefer.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
I'm a Contributor Level 1 notcheapestcell
I'm a Contributor Level 1

This has happened to me too! Twice now. I am beginning to think they do this to a lot of people and try to get away with it. Only I didn't notice the first time and Fido are refusing to credit me, saying they have no record of me having it removed because it was over the phone. They also say it's my fault for not looking at my bill and trusting the agent had actually done as she had promised. I didn't realize because it was already less than I had been paying and I was still paying off my phone and I'm on a plan where I don't have to monitor my data or minutes.  When I went to sign up for a new plan after I had paid off my phone, they signed me up for data protection even though I specifically said no and denied doing it again! Then on top of that, going through the last 18 months of bills I realized they have been charging me $11 extra for plan protection they had told me they had removed, which I specifically asked for to be removed! And say it's my fault for not monitoring my bill and refuse to reimburse me for their robbery. Turns out this is happening to other people too....hmmm.... 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6

Hey @notcheapestcell,

I assure you that's not the case! We do not add a service if our customers do not wish to take it. That would go against our policy.

That said, we also send email confirmations to our customers when they add or remove an add-on, service etc. Did you get any of that?

Can you clarify if you where did you go to sign up for a new agreement?

Did you check the paperwork of services/plan you were taking?

We do encourage customers to check their bills not only to see what they are paying for, but often times we communicate important information through bill messages. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6