Details wifi hotspot tethering policy

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 preet
I'm a Participant Level 3

Details wifi hotspot tethering policy

Sorry if I've missed the obvious, but I cant find details on hotspot tethering with a monthly plan on your own unlocked device (the monthly plan includes data).

Are there any additional terms or requirements for tethering?

Could anyone please point out where exactly on the site this information is available?

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Details wifi hotspot tethering policy

With old grand fathered plans there was the requirement to have 1Go minimum but you should be able to tether with any in-market plans today as far as I know.
There are no extra charges for tethering, but expect data usage to go up fast when you do so. I highly recomend to keep an eye on your data usage.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1
Solution

With old grand fathered plans there was the requirement to have 1Go minimum but you should be able to tether with any in-market plans today as far as I know.
There are no extra charges for tethering, but expect data usage to go up fast when you do so. I highly recomend to keep an eye on your data usage.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

After further research, anybody can tether. It's just that if you don't have 1Go or more, you will have to call and add thethering option if it's not there.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
I'm a Participant Level 3 preet
I'm a Participant Level 3

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, you don't need more than 1Gb, you just need to call if and only if the option isn't there on your device? I'd also like to suggest this information be made available somewhere on the site if possible in an 'official' way outside of the forums.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Yeah anyone has the right to tether if wants to. It's just that it uses a lot of data and fast compared to just doing same thing on a cellphone. So to protect you there is the 1Go requirement to have it on by default.
There are some old plans that have less than 1go and yet have it on by default tho.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hi Roskov,

if they have the old unlimited mobile internet plan, can they call and ask to have tethering added?

Thanks,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

@yukichan wrote:

Hi Roskov,

if they have the old unlimited mobile internet plan, can they call and ask to have tethering added?

Thanks,

It should work. The only requirement that I see stated in the policy is that the phone has to be able to tether and that you need some data. Try to tether first, if it works great. If it doesn't then call customer service.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hi Roskov,

tethering doesn't work. I'm just worried that if i call in, they will remove the unlimited mobile browsing option and i can't get it back.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

If unlimited data is included in your plan, then only way to remove it would be to do a price plan change. We are just adding a small code here to your services to allow tethering, there is no accidental way to just change the plan here when adding it.

Don't worry just ask call customer service and ask if the tethering code can be added to allow you to tether Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

@yukichan wrote:

Hi Roskov,

tethering doesn't work. I'm just worried that if i call in, they will remove the unlimited mobile browsing option and i can't get it back.

If it's the "Unlimited Mobile Browsing" add-on that was I believe ~$10 a month or included in a ~$15 Value Pack, you can't tether with that. This option was made for basic phones to have basic data.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10