Data roaming question

Data roaming question

Data roaming question

SOLVED
polish_tom
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Data roaming question

Hi I have a max plan and my girlfriend has the smart or pulse plan... not quite sure but we're on the same account and I'm wondering if I have free data roaming in ontario or Canada

Accepted Solution

Re: Data roaming question

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@polish_tom wrote:
Sorry I guess that was my question. But what I'm wondering is will it ever switch me to a bell or other network automatically in data roaming mode? Or will it just connect to rogers

Hello again,

You're referring to extended coverage. As per the roaming agreements, travelling outside of Fido/Rogers coverage (but within coverage of other networks), your phone will connect to Fido-EXT (provided roaming is enabled) with no additional roaming fees.

@polish_tom wrote:
So keep the data roaming feature off in our phones?

If you're travelling within Canada, you might consider keeping your setting enabled. Your phone will then be able to access Fido-EXT seamlessly.  You'll just have to remember to disable roaming when travelling outside of Canada or you will incur roaming charges.

**edit** You should also note that extended coverage is only meant for occasional usage. The majority of your monthly usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks otherwise it may get restricted or limited**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
FidoClaudia

Hey @polish_tom,

The data included in our plans can be used anywhere in Canada and it doesn't involve any roaming. Only if you go over the data included in your plan will you incur any additional fees.

Roaming charges apply only when you use your services (including data) outside of the country.

Hope this helps Smiley

polish_tom

Keep it off because it will switch automatically.

polish_tom

Okay thank you
polish_tom

Sorry I guess that was my question. But what I'm wondering is will it ever switch me to a bell or other network automatically in data roaming mode? Or will it just connect to rogers

@polish_tom wrote:

Hello again,

You're referring to extended coverage. As per the roaming agreements, travelling outside of Fido/Rogers coverage (but within coverage of other networks), your phone will connect to Fido-EXT (provided roaming is enabled) with no additional roaming fees.

@polish_tom wrote:

If you're travelling within Canada, you might consider keeping your setting enabled. Your phone will then be able to access Fido-EXT seamlessly.  You'll just have to remember to disable roaming when travelling outside of Canada or you will incur roaming charges.

**edit** You should also note that extended coverage is only meant for occasional usage. The majority of your monthly usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks otherwise it may get restricted or limited**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @polish_tom,

The answer given by Cawatau is right Smiley

You can also read all about Extended Coverage right here: http://fido.ly/1YfRVFT

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@polish_tom wrote:
Hi I have a max plan and my girlfriend has the smart or pulse plan... not quite sure but we're on the same account and I'm wondering if I have free data roaming in ontario or Canada

Hello Polish_tom,

Roaming data is only applicable outside of the Fido/Rogers network. Data use on the Fido/Rogers network is the same anywhere in Canada. As long as you're on the network, there are no additional roaming charges.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers