Data overage notifications

SOLVED
Rh4
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Why I am not geting any notification regarding over usage data. Cna someone advise how can I turn on the notification if can be setup in phone.

Accepted Solution

Re: Data overage notifications

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmanda

Hey All!

I came across this thread and I just wanted to provide a bit of an update here.

Eligible plans include our data tracker feature. This feature sends an SMS notification once you go over:

90% of available data
100% of available data
$30 over usage
$50 over usage
$90 over usage

You will receive each of the notifications in sequence as you reach each pre-defined threshold, however, they may be subject to delays of up to a few hours.

While we do, now, offer an SMS data usage notification feature, it's also important to remember that it's not included with certain plans and add-ons. These messages are sent to you on an informative basis only. You’ll always be billed according to your usage. 

I also wanted to add that, depending on what model of phone you have, you may be able to also set up usage tracking in your phone according your billing cycle, or, if that's not possible, you can reset it manually on the start of your billing cycle. You can find this under your phone's network settings.

That said, it's always best to keep an eye on your usage through My Account on Fido.ca or by using the My Account app.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey All!

I came across this thread and I just wanted to provide a bit of an update here.

Eligible plans include our data tracker feature. This feature sends an SMS notification once you go over:

90% of available data
100% of available data
$30 over usage
$50 over usage
$90 over usage

You will receive each of the notifications in sequence as you reach each pre-defined threshold, however, they may be subject to delays of up to a few hours.

While we do, now, offer an SMS data usage notification feature, it's also important to remember that it's not included with certain plans and add-ons. These messages are sent to you on an informative basis only. You’ll always be billed according to your usage. 

I also wanted to add that, depending on what model of phone you have, you may be able to also set up usage tracking in your phone according your billing cycle, or, if that's not possible, you can reset it manually on the start of your billing cycle. You can find this under your phone's network settings.

That said, it's always best to keep an eye on your usage through My Account on Fido.ca or by using the My Account app.

Hope this helps!

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Rh4 wrote:

Why I am not geting any notification regarding over usage data. Cna someone advise how can I turn on the notification if can be setup in phone.

Hello Rh4,

As far as I am aware, you'll only receive notification once you have accumulated the maximum in overage charges. According to the CRTC Wireless code, post-paid customers have the right to limit their data overage charges to $50 a month and their data roaming charges to $100 a month. Therefore, you should receive a text once you reach either of those limits stating you have reached said limit. You should also get the option to accept additional charges for further usage.

**edit** You should note that the actual amount of overage data used to accumulate the maximum charges may be different from customer to customer since the overage rate varies by plan.**

It is up to the customer to monitor their phone usage, including data usage. There are many threads on here (and the internet) regarding data usage management. To start you off, I will refer you here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers