Data and network problem with huawei

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 Roop1
I'm a Participant Level 3

Data and network problem with huawei

My phone is Huawei G8, unlocked, on Fido network. Problem is that i can not use it on internet outside of a wifi zone, despite the availability of data on my plan.
Tried my best, at wits end. Phone is compatible with Fido network.i checked.
Can anybody please shed some light on it ? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Data and network problem with huawei

Hello again,

Thanks for the additional information!

I believe these are the specifications for your phone:

LTE – B1, B3, B7, B8, B20

3G – 900 / 2100

2G – 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

~ taken from here.

Judging by those specifications, that phone has all of the bands/frequencies for 2G and none of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'.

With regards to LTE, that phone only has one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should be able to connect to the LTE network, coverage depends on the availability of matching bands/frequencies on your surrounding towers as not all towers use all bands/frequencies. For example, the following screen capture illustrates one cellular tower that does not use band 7 (2600MHz).

Surrey.jpg

Taken from here.

There are cellular towers around Surrey which do use 2600MHz. Unfortunately, unless you're within range of one of those towers, you will not be able to connect to the LTE network. Even if there is a close-ish tower, cellular reception might get obstructed by buildings, trees, etc. since the higher frequencies travel the shortest distance and have the least penetrative ability (see illustration posted here).

Have you tried to connect to LTE anywhere other than your current location. You might consider locating a cellular tower with 2600MHz to see if you can connect to LTE from that location.

Unfortunately, if there are no cellular towers with 2600MHz in your vincinity, I don't think you'll be able to get adequate data at your location. Since your phone does not have any of the compatible '3G' bands/frequencies, using data with 2G would be rather slow.

Aside: I do not think the other network providers would be a solution for your situation either. A quick scan of the bands/frequencies on those towers did not reveal any tower operating 2600MHz either.

Not what you wanted to hear, but I hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Roop1,

Welcome to the community!

What version of the phone is your G8? Where did you purchase the phone? I understand you checked that the phone is compatible with Fido, however, could you please provide the band/frequency specifications? I only ask because the phone is not listed on the Huawei Canada website.

While the phone is listed in this Huawei website, they do not specify any bands or frequencies. The only specifications I have been able to find is on this website. Judging by those specifications, that phone does not have any compatible bands/frequencies for '3G' or LTE. You can verify the compatible bands here.

Assuming your phone does have compatible '3G' and/or LTE bands/frequencies, have you verified your phone is using the correct APN? Since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn You can verify the correct settings here.

Have you verified your network is set to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE?

If you purchased the phone from abroad, have you enabled roaming data? Occasionally, some phones from abroad think they are roaming when they are outside of their expected region even though they use a local SIM.

Are you sure you're in an area with adequate coverage? Coverage depends on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers matching those on your phone. Not all bands/frequencies are used at all cellular tower sites. You can get an idea of the location of your surrounding towers and their bands/frequencies here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted

Hello smart Techi guy :

Here is what you asked.Version of G8 phone:R10-L01 C185B330

Purchased in Dubai UAE

Band..2G fully compatible, 4G LTE network, partially compatible (getting a yellow)

using APN... Ltemobile

Network...GSM/WCDMA/LTE

Roaming Data enabled

Coverage ..Adequate (Surrey BC)

I have tried all that you wrote. NO GO.

Can you please tell me any other measures that I may take to make this phone compatible to fido (or any other service provider here)

Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Roop1

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello again,

Thanks for the additional information!

I believe these are the specifications for your phone:

LTE – B1, B3, B7, B8, B20

3G – 900 / 2100

2G – 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

~ taken from here.

Judging by those specifications, that phone has all of the bands/frequencies for 2G and none of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'.

With regards to LTE, that phone only has one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should be able to connect to the LTE network, coverage depends on the availability of matching bands/frequencies on your surrounding towers as not all towers use all bands/frequencies. For example, the following screen capture illustrates one cellular tower that does not use band 7 (2600MHz).

Surrey.jpg

Taken from here.

There are cellular towers around Surrey which do use 2600MHz. Unfortunately, unless you're within range of one of those towers, you will not be able to connect to the LTE network. Even if there is a close-ish tower, cellular reception might get obstructed by buildings, trees, etc. since the higher frequencies travel the shortest distance and have the least penetrative ability (see illustration posted here).

Have you tried to connect to LTE anywhere other than your current location. You might consider locating a cellular tower with 2600MHz to see if you can connect to LTE from that location.

Unfortunately, if there are no cellular towers with 2600MHz in your vincinity, I don't think you'll be able to get adequate data at your location. Since your phone does not have any of the compatible '3G' bands/frequencies, using data with 2G would be rather slow.

Aside: I do not think the other network providers would be a solution for your situation either. A quick scan of the bands/frequencies on those towers did not reveal any tower operating 2600MHz either.

Not what you wanted to hear, but I hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted

I can't thank you enough for enlightening me about my phone. It is clear to me that i wasted my money on this phone, when i bought it in Dubai (UAE), and as such I learnt a costly lesson, besides miffing my better half, who said I ought not to buy a phone there. Now I am being told" I told you so, you never listen", over and over again by her. LOL.

Thanks again ! Cheers!

Rupi

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@Roop1 I'm going to chime in here and say, what kind of a better half would she be if she didn't grab every opportunity to rub it in your face that she was right? 😛 All jokes aside, I'm glad that @Cawtau was able to help you out; don't hesitate to post again if you need anything else.

Cheers! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6