Data Usage text notification?

SOLVED
Faith3
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi there, just wondering if I have to enable text notifications about my data usage, or if they're supposed to be automatic? I went over my data this month, but wasn't warned earlier when I reached the 80% or 100% limit. I usually get notified about my phone minutes, but not data. How can I get texts when I get close to using up all my data? Thanks!

**Edited to add labels

Accepted Solution

Re: Data Usage text notification?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoTerry

Welcome to the community @Faith3

The text message data notification is referred as to Data Tracker. Most of our plans include this feature but there could be a few other reasons why you don't have it such as having:

- Flexible rate data options ( Eg: $22 per month for 100MB, $37 per month up to 500MB, $52 per month up to 2GB, etc )

- A 6GB data add on

- A bonus data included in your plan

Some notifications can be delayed and are sent between 9 am and 8 pm ET. After 8 pm, you will be notified the following morning. Also any failed/undelivered notifications will follow the same retry rules as regular text messages (SMS).

A text message will be sent to let you know when your data usage goes over certain pre-defined thresholds:

• Reaching 90% of available data
  • Reaching 100% of available data
  • $30 over usage
  • $90 over usage

To clarify also what Kapable-K said: You will also receive a text message once you go over 50$ in over usage. Your data usage will be put on hold for the remainder of the bill cycle unless you specifically choose to continue ( the link is on the text ).  As always, the safest way is to track your usage is on Fido's My account App.

I hope this clarifies everything! Smiley

View solution in context
16 REPLIES 16
GALAN
I'm a Participant Level 2

Why is it that not all Fido users are treated the same with regard to data usage notifications BEFORE a user goes over?  I went over one month, unwittingly because of a CBC app continuing to stream after I exited the app, and when I called in, I was told that my plan package does not include data usage notifications.  Given that other Fido plans provide threshold notification before exceeding plan caps, I think it is unethical of Fido to not provide notifications on all (data) plans, particularly as it is an automated process within the billing information capture process that enabled the capability. I thought we were years passed these sorts of "take your money and inform you after the fact" practices!

Hey @GALAN,

Welcome to our Community!

I get where you're coming from and while some plans include the data tracker, certain older options and plans don't have the feature included.

Also, data tracker notifications are an informative tool only and we have other useful and reliable tools that you can use to check your un-billed usage at all times and avoid going over! This gives you access and control to monitor your own usage at any time during the month so you can keep an eye on it and avoid over charges. 

You can verify your usage 24/7, through:

-My Account the app

-My Account on Fido.ca

-IVR (Automated System) by calling *3337 or *28 from your phone

Hope this helps Smiley

Let us know if you have other questions!

GALAN

Thank you Claudia for your prompt reply.
I think you are missing the point. If Fido has a working automated notification system for users nearing their data cap, then why would I want to have to manually keep checking my data balance? Notifications are not a value add feature, like listening to Spotify or some other streaming service a user would expect to pay for: it's just an automated function that is already operating within Fido'd billing systems. So, I see no cost reason not to make it work for all Fido data users, unless there is a surreptitious reason for doing so, such as forcing existing plan holders to change plans.

Hey @GALAN

Unfortunately, the data notification is not included in all Fido plans.

We do appreciate your comments on this and I will make sure forward this to the people in charge.

As @FidoClaudia mentioned, there are other ways to monitor your usage.

I invite you to visit our Community blog here that can help you with this for future reference.

Hope this helps Smiley

Hello Galan,

Welcome to the community!

In addition to what FidoClaudia mentioned above, you should be aware that there can be a delay with the updating of usage information with those methods.

What phone do you have? Most android phones have their own data tracker and the ability to set limits. Once you correctly set your billing cycle, it would provide an accurate gauge on your usage. You should note, however, there might be a slight discrepancy between how your phone and the networks monitor data. When setting your limit, you might consider setting a level lower than your actual data allotment to act as a buffer. You can still use your full allotment; you'll just have to be more aware of your usage.

Unfortunately, iPhones do not have a similar method of setting limits. With their data trackers, they simply track acculated data usage. You'll have to manually reset the counter at the end of your billing cycle.

With regards to Fido's Data Tracker, it's a feature of some of the newer plans -- same as Spotify, Fido Roam, and Data Top-ups are features only available to some newer plans. I believe the notifications were introduced to allow customers to purchase Data Top-ups before their usual allotments ran out. Unfortunately, those of us with older plans cannot avail of those features. 

I understand your frustration, however, it has always been up to the customer to monitor their own usage. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

GALAN

Thank you Cawtau for your reply.
I do not have an Andriod phone, I have an iPhone, and as you pointed out, there is not an option to set data thresholds.
I have a 1GB data plan, and I generally only ever use about 300MB because I am on WiFi most of the time. One month I went over to 1.1GB and got dinged $10 in overage. Never mind that I leave 700MB on the table for free for Fido every month, and have done every month for more than three years. So why does Fido not allow users to aggregate their usage and roll forward unused data balances? Or if that seems like too much of a gift to customers, why not just send the "data threshold approaching notifications" to customers - simple, easy and costs them nothing.
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Faith3 You will only get a text notification after you reached $50 of overage. If you want to continue using data after that then you follow the instructions in the text.

tycam99

Is it possible to have the $50 data overage text re-sent? I accidentally deleted it but would like to get it back so I can re-enable data on my phone.

Hi @tycam99 & welcome to the Community! Smiley

To unblock your data, you simply need to open a web page or app that uses data on your phone and you'll get the message. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Welcome to the community @Faith3

The text message data notification is referred as to Data Tracker. Most of our plans include this feature but there could be a few other reasons why you don't have it such as having:

- Flexible rate data options ( Eg: $22 per month for 100MB, $37 per month up to 500MB, $52 per month up to 2GB, etc )

- A 6GB data add on

- A bonus data included in your plan

Some notifications can be delayed and are sent between 9 am and 8 pm ET. After 8 pm, you will be notified the following morning. Also any failed/undelivered notifications will follow the same retry rules as regular text messages (SMS).

A text message will be sent to let you know when your data usage goes over certain pre-defined thresholds:

• Reaching 90% of available data
  • Reaching 100% of available data
  • $30 over usage
  • $90 over usage

To clarify also what Kapable-K said: You will also receive a text message once you go over 50$ in over usage. Your data usage will be put on hold for the remainder of the bill cycle unless you specifically choose to continue ( the link is on the text ).  As always, the safest way is to track your usage is on Fido's My account App.

I hope this clarifies everything! Smiley

demonci213

What if I accidentally deleted the text message? (Which is what I unfortunately did). Thanks for the implantation of the $50 overusage alert though.

Hey @demonci213

Just to be sure I understand, you deleted the message to accept the charges and you want to keep on using your data?

demonci213

Hello Ranya,

I received the $50 overusage text but I accidentally deleted the text with the link to keep using data. I WANT to keep using data, any way I can still do that?

Yes for sure! We have to do it on our end though since you no longer have it.

Sending a PM your way now to help with this @demonci213 .

xtachx

Pardon me for asking, but from the experience of members here, are these notifications close to real-time or are they usually late?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @xtachx

When you track your usage on the Application, there could be a 12 hour delay due to the way data is calculated.

The 90% and 100% notifications are sent almost immediately but can be subject to delays. These messages are sent to you on an informative basis only; you’ll always be billed according to your usage.

Hope this helps!