Data Service Not Available on LG G3 when data is turned on

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 BigFella1959
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Data Service Not Available on LG G3 when data is turned on

For the past few days I have been having a problem when I picture text. My LG G3 states 'No Data Service Available' when my data is definitely turned on. The picture texts don't go anywhere and I have to delete them so I am not trying to send them time and time again. The problem seems to have started when I last installed the latest Version 6 Android update. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what can I do to rectify the problem. Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions you can pass on. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Data Service Not Available on LG G3 when data is turned on

Thank you very much for your suggestions which I did try. I reset the network settings which did help some by allowing me onto the Internet but I still had to add the APN information for the Fido network to allow me to send picture text messages. The following link was extremely helpful to set up my APN http://www.thecellguide.com/lgnodata.php The only concern was that the instuctions to add the APN said to leave many of the information lines blank which did not work so I reset the network again and added the APN information which is outlined in the above link and left all the remaining information as is and it worked great after I did that. Thanks again and I hope this helps anyone else that is moving their cell provider to Fido and supplying their own cell phone.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 16
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@BigFella1959 Are you able to receive picture messages? Are you using the phones default messaging app?

Can you try resetting the network settings, go to settings backup and reset and you should see reset network settings in there.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 16
MVP
MVP

Hello BigFella1959,

Welcome to the community!

Have you tried to send the MMS with your Wifi disabled? There have been some reports about not being able to send/receive MMS with Wifi enabled, following the upgrade. The workaround was to turn off Wifi. Also, are there Wifi-calling settings on that phone? You might also consider turning those off as well. I have not yet heard of a patch that would fix that glitch.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 16
Solution

Thank you very much for your suggestions which I did try. I reset the network settings which did help some by allowing me onto the Internet but I still had to add the APN information for the Fido network to allow me to send picture text messages. The following link was extremely helpful to set up my APN http://www.thecellguide.com/lgnodata.php The only concern was that the instuctions to add the APN said to leave many of the information lines blank which did not work so I reset the network again and added the APN information which is outlined in the above link and left all the remaining information as is and it worked great after I did that. Thanks again and I hope this helps anyone else that is moving their cell provider to Fido and supplying their own cell phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 16
MVP
MVP

@BigFella1959 wrote:

Hello again,

It's great to hear you got it working again!!

One word regarding the APN, since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn or else it might not be able to access the LTE networks. Don't worry, many of the settings are left blank. You can verify the correct APN settings here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 16

Everything seems to be working fine with my picture text messaging but I now notice that my Wifi keeps searching every few minutes even when it is connected to my home Wifi 5G channel. I am thinking that with it searching every few seconds it may be draining my battery much faster than when it didn't search before my data was working. Is there a way to stop my LG G3 from repeatedly searching for Wifi when it is already connected to a strong home Wifi channel? I have tried turning off my data but it makes no difference on whether it searches for Wifi every few seconds.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 16
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

Do you have your Location setting enabled? Google moved the Always Wifi Scanning from the Wifi settings to the Location settings. If you do have Location enabled, go to Improve accuracy and see if Wifi scanning is selected. The scanning of Wifi is to improve the accuracy of the location services of the phone rather than trying to find a Wifi network to connect to. Assuming you had Locations enabled, that would be why it is still scanning even though you're connected to a strong Wifi signal.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 16

Thanks for all the great information. The Wifi scanning is now fixed with the instructions you mentioned in the last post. One other thing I have noticed is that when I added the APN information for the MMS APN I do not have a radio button beside that MMS APN name like I have beside the Internet APN name. My wife had the same exact issue on her LG G3 and when I added the MMS APN information on creation she does have the radio button beside the APN name. Not sure what that might mean. Thanks again for any information you can give me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 16
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

I'm glad to hear that worked for you.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the lack of the radio button means either. Does your wife have more than one MMS APN? Are you able to send/receive MMS without issue though?

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 16

Hello again. My wife only has the one Internet APN and the one MMS APN from Fido that I created for her just like I do. I am not sure why things are showing up different on her phone than on mine since the phones are both LG G3s and the APN was set up exactly the same on both phones. My wife has noticed that the location scanning has started up again on her phone even when the location is turned off. My phone has not been scanning at all even with my location turned on. We can both send and receive picture and non-picture texts on our phones now without issue. This switch to Fido has really been quite a learning experience for me with the APN setups for Internet and MMS as well as the scanning issue but with your help everything is now working as it should so I will not be mucking around with settings unless something else stops working in the future. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. This Fido community is truly a great way to get issues solved and the helpful people are very much appreciated by us newbys. Thanks again. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 16
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @BigFella1959!

I'm glad to know that everything is working now. The Community is definitely a great place to get help with these kind of things. Smiley

If ever you need anything else, don't hesitate to post again!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 16
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

Glad we could help! Smiley

With regards to your wife's continued Wifi scanning, some apps have the ability to keep/turn on Wifi and turn on/off data as well. Apparently, the anti-theft feature in Avast is keeps Wifi on so it can be located it lost or stolen. Some other apps also have permissions that do so as well. You (or she) might consider going through the permissions of all of her apps to see if there are any possible culprits. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 16

Thanks for the suggestion on checking out my wife's apps. I will do that for sure to look for a culprit that may be keeping her phone scanning for location information. Can you please give me a quick run down on how to check the permissions to her apps. Being a newby with our LG G3s I sometimes need instructions to do the simplest of things. This is all new information for me. On the other hand my wife is really impressed on what I have done with her phone so far thanks to suggestions from the Fido Forums. Everything I have done thanks to suggestions from the Fido Forums has given me brownie points with my wife. Just an added bonus I guess. LOL

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 16

Hey BigFella1959!

Happy to hear that our Community could help you win some brownie points with the misses! At the end of the day, that's what really matters, right? Wink

You can check the permissions for individual app by going into Settings > Apps and selecting the app you'd like to check.

Once in there, you can click on Data Usage and scroll down. You'll need to make sure the you don't have Restrict Cellular Data Access turned on. 

Hope this will win you more brownie points! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 16
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

Brownie points... I love it!! LOL

Although not specific to the LG G3, this article might be helpful as well.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 16