Data Plan has a phone number - how much does it cost to use it?

SOLVED
stickygluon
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello!

I just signed up for Fido's promotional data only plan (3GB for $15). I was surprised to find out that there is a phone number attached to my data only plan. 

Can someone tell me how much it costs to make/receive calls, and to send/receive texts using the phone number that came with my data only plan?

Disclaimer: I have looked around fido.ca for this information, but I was unable to find it.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Data Plan has a phone number - how much does it cost to use it?

Solved by MVP MVP

@stickygluon 

Local calls are billed at $1/minute, and outgoing SMS to Canadian numbers are billed at $0.25/message.

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@stickygluon 

Local calls are billed at $1/minute, and outgoing SMS to Canadian numbers are billed at $0.25/message.

stickygluon

@KAPABLE-K

Wonderful! Thanks for passing that on.

For future reference, could you please tell me where you found that information on the Fido website?

Thanks again!

@stickygluon wrote:
@KAPABLE-K

Wonderful! Thanks for passing that on.

For future reference, could you please tell me where you found that information on the Fido website?

Thanks again!

@stickygluon There is no reference to it on Fido.ca because the data only plans are meant for tablets and not to be used as a cellphone even though it has a number. 

@stickygluon wrote:

Hello Stickygluon,

Welcome to the community!

The information was provided by a @FidoMaria in the forums, here.

Hope this helps 

Cheers

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Yes, its due to the fact that Cellular systems are historically based on being attached to an active telephone number that is the simple answer as to why you were assigned a number even if you choose not to use it.

stickygluon

@Paolo

I see. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!