DEVICE PROTECTION -

DEVICE PROTECTION -

DEVICE PROTECTION -

SOLVED
dolly2711
I'm a Participant Level 1

DEVICE PROTECTION -

I just got a new phone for my teenager and got the device protection for 7 dollars a month.  I was told at the kiosk this covers just about everything even theft.  Thought it sounded good  now I resd the brochure and it talks of a replacement fee of up to 200 dollars .  Can someone clarify this?  I am paying 84 dollars a year for 2 years but still have to pay 200 for a replacement? Am I reading this right....is it worth it?

Accepted Solution

Re: DEVICE PROTECTION -

Solved by Community Manager

Just want to clarify something in Wufai's response; the replacement is taken care of by Asurion and the delay to receive a replacement following a service request is around 1 day. Click here for more information on this service.

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
credmau5
I'm Experienced Level 3

Yes, it is just like car insurance.You pay a monthly fee, and if you have to make a claim you pay a deductable. The deductable is different for different phones and the only model that requires a $200 deductible is a very expensive phone like the iPhone. The cost of making a claim ranges from $70 to $200.

For example, if your phone is a $500 phone and you get it stolen, it's a $120 deductible. Totally worth it. The alternative is buying another for $500. You have to keep paying your Fido contract regardless if you lose your phone or not, and many phones are not cheap. An iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5 starts at $700. Think about it.

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

credmau5 wrote:

For example, if your phone is a $500 phone and you get it stolen, it's a $120 deductible. Totally worth it. The alternative is buying another for $500. You have to keep paying your Fido contract regardless if you lose your phone or not, and many phones are not cheap. An iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5 starts at $700. Think about it.

Just so everyone is on the same page. If the $500 phone gets stolen, the cost of replacement is $120 (deductible) + $250 (non returned phone). So in the case of a lost phone replacement cost is $370. broken phones replacement cost is $120, but it depends on the nature of how the phone is broken.

Also the replacement unit can be a refurb unit and colour doesn't need to match the orginal replacement, as stated in the terms and conditions.

nreeves
I'm a Contributor Level 2

It is only worth it if your phone is stolen in the first couple of months.  After that, useless.  You can take a damaged phone to apple and they will charge you a flat rate to replace (Starting around $349 in memory serves) with no monthly fee.This is even for phones after the 1 year war.  I have been paying $11/month for the last 18 months and now have to pay another $200 = bull**bleep**.  Should have read the fine print!!!

sheedy17
Fido Employee

A good way to look at it is the same way as a car deductable works,  you pay your insurance company X amount of dollars for years and years, some people probably never file a claim and pay all the money for a mandatory fee you have to pay to drive.  If you are unfortunate and have to put in a claim, your insurance more than likely will ask for a deductable which you would have to pay

Atleast with phone insurance it is a choice.  Is it worth it?  Thats a question that varies as you yourself know your daughters habits, if she'd lose the phone, break it etc.  What if she is really responsible and nothing happens to the phone for 2 years? You pay $7 x 24 months for no reason.    Its a hard question to answer if it is "worth" it without knowing how your daughter treats phone.

Myself as a parent, i make sure that my kids are really responsible with the phone and they are aware if it breaks, or gets lost, there is no replacement, so i said no to the insurance, im 8 months in and have had 1 accident with 1 out of 3 phones where I had to pay to get a screen fixed for $80.   

Hope that helps

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

You didn't read it wrong, I'm not sure exactly the replacement amount but it aligns with the type of phone you purchaed. Your math is pretty accurate though. Is it worth it? That really depends on you. Insurance is difference for everyone.  My simplist answer is to ask yourself your "oppotunity cost", meaning what are you giving up if you purchased Fido's insurance for 2 years and 'did' lost your phone (84x2+200 = $368).  Can you get a replacement phone cheaper than Fido's offering during your 2 yr contract?

Another quick tip. The insurance policy is great and all, but people often discounted the fact the stress and money/time lost waiting for a replacement phone.  Say you did lost your phone, and it was a critial period for your teenager to have constant wireless communication, would you be able to wait the few weeks for Fido to arrange a replacement?

FidoStephen
Community Manager

Just want to clarify something in Wufai's response; the replacement is taken care of by Asurion and the delay to receive a replacement following a service request is around 1 day. Click here for more information on this service.

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Acturally following FidoStephen advice I did re-read the terms of the service and found some additional information for the OP regarding thief.

Thief is covered (in some provinces) but if you do lose your device to thief, there is an additional cost of up to $400 depending on your device on top of the $200 you mentioned.

Also the replacement device might be refurbushed. and the color selection might not be the exact model as your phone.

Hope this helps