DEVICE PROTECTION - VERY UNCLEAR

SOLVED
SarahBarrie
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I recently purchased the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the rep at the kiosk offered me the device protection which I took as there is no contract it is just month to month.  Anyways the pamphlet says "Relized your phone doesnt float or bounce!"  Implying that it was dropped in water or on the floor and cracked...but when I read the pamphlet its very unclear...does this protection cover repairs to a phone due to damage that happened accidently?  Or do you automatically have to make a claim and pay the 120 to get a new phone....it just seems that after reading the terms over and over, nothing is covered?? unless the phone is stollen or stops functioning due to hardware issues...Clarification would be great as I dont want to continue paying for something that doesnt cover much

Accepted Solution

Re: DEVICE PROTECTION - VERY UNCLEAR

Solved by Community Manager

HI SarahBarrie,

Device Protection offers the following services:

- Your device is protected against physical damage, loss*, theft* and water damage, including out-of-warranty malfunction.

- Let us know about an issue by 5 p.m. (ET) and, in most cases, your replacement device will be delivered the next business day.
- All devices are covered, including iPhone, and standard accessories including battery, charger, SIM card and memory card. Fido Prepaid and tablets are not eligible.
- No term commitment required. You can cancel at any time.
- Replacement devices may be new or refurbished versions of the same or comparable model.
- Limit of two replacements during a 12-month period.
- Depending on your device model, a service replacement fee of $25, $80, $120 or $200 will be charged when you make a request to replace your device.

* Loss and theft not covered in the provinces of Quebec, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland.

Essentially, Device Protection covers damage that is not covered by the 1 year manufacturers warranty (most commonly water and physical damage). 

I hope this helps!

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
lindsaydylan
I'm a Participant Level 1

So the device isn't really "covered". I mean, the device protection will reduce how much you pay for your new or refurbished phone, but ultimately you're still paying for a new phone. My screen shattered and I paid 120$ for a new phone, on top of the monthly fee I'm already paying for device "protection". 

K2020
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi, last year (July 2012) I purchased SONY ERICSON EXPERIA PRO from fido store, paying $336. There was shot circuit (September End), probably due to charger trouble, causing the cell to blew. The cell never turned on there after. I took the cell to the Fido store in Portage Mall so that i can get it fixed/replaced, but was told by the Fido associates that it was not covered in Warranty. I told them that it's neither of my fault, but all in vain. Lost $336. I had, earlier, visited 3-5 times at Fido store to get the Cellphone Charger fixed, but was told that they are out of stock and should come again. Hope that trouble had been fixed, my loss could have been prevented by Fido. Since that day I have made up my mind not to purchase any Cellphone from store. Later that day, I had to throw the cell in the garbage bin along with all of the accessories. I still feel pain on the loss. Fido really made me a sad customer...... 

If this was a case with Apple Store, they would easily, immediately fix/replace the Cell. When ever you purchase any cell right away, it always has 1 year manufacture warranty. If any trouble like this occurs, it is the sole responsibility of the company to tackle it because it is responsibility of the company to treat the defective items. 

FidoStephen
Community Manager

HI SarahBarrie,

Device Protection offers the following services:

- Your device is protected against physical damage, loss*, theft* and water damage, including out-of-warranty malfunction.

- Let us know about an issue by 5 p.m. (ET) and, in most cases, your replacement device will be delivered the next business day.
- All devices are covered, including iPhone, and standard accessories including battery, charger, SIM card and memory card. Fido Prepaid and tablets are not eligible.
- No term commitment required. You can cancel at any time.
- Replacement devices may be new or refurbished versions of the same or comparable model.
- Limit of two replacements during a 12-month period.
- Depending on your device model, a service replacement fee of $25, $80, $120 or $200 will be charged when you make a request to replace your device.

* Loss and theft not covered in the provinces of Quebec, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland.

Essentially, Device Protection covers damage that is not covered by the 1 year manufacturers warranty (most commonly water and physical damage). 

I hope this helps!

SarahBarrie
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Thank you for your response!  I guess my only other question about the plan would be...if the phone is repairable will it be fixed or is the only option to have a new phone all together?

@SarahBarrie wrote:

Thank you for your response!  I guess my only other question about the plan would be...if the phone is repairable will it be fixed or is the only option to have a new phone all together?

Hey Sarah,

If you are within the 1 year manufacturers warranty, then you could bring your phone in to one of our stores for a repair. If it's determined that the damage is not covered under the manufacturers warranty, then you would be able to have the device replaced through Asurion and have the repair estimate fee refunded. 

Beyond the 1 year manufacturers warranty, it would always be a replacement through Asurion and not a repair.

Hope this helps!