DATA CHARGES OUT OF THIS WORLD

SOLVED
seamonster
I'm a Participant Level 1

I've always been an apple person. I love iPhones however over the last couple of years I have noticed a drastic decline in the quality of the product & service I have been receiving from Fido. . 

From February 2014 to January 2016 I was using an iPhone 5S - also through Fido. At that time I had the 2GB/month of data - which worked well except a couple of times I went over the monthly limit - but even then I only ever went over by a maximum of 1-2GB/month, totalling a $10-$20 extra charge on my final bill.

No. Big. Deal.

This past January of 2016, I upgraded my phone to the 6 as I was due for my regular upgrades. In doing so I had no choice but to participate in a fido pulse plan, thus I opted for the 6GB of data option - This choice was made under the assumption that even if I went over the 2GB/month which I was used to for the last few years, PLUS considering the newer model would eat up more data, I concluded I could never possibly hit the maximum 6GB/month allowance - atleast not with my phone habits. However, ever since January, I've been charged 8-10GB/month of extra data usage. BIG DEAL. 

Yes... I do get those warning text messages that I'm about to exceed my data allowance for the month, but please explain how i POSSIBLY go through my entire MONTH'S LIMIT of data within a mere 2-3 days of my phone cycle!!!!???!!!!!! That's actually bat**bleep** insane. I am sick and tired of being charged up the **bleep** for something that makes ZERO sense. Here's why:

My phone use habits consist of the following:

1. I work Mon-Fri 9-5 - meaning the majority of my days are spent AT WORK connected to WIFI - so if I do use my phone, it is strictly on wifi.

2. My wifi assist has been off since the very beginning

3. I'm connected to wifi at my house all the time as well

4. In between work and home I am driving and cannot access the internet even if I wanted to

5. I do not stream ANY videos on my phone - I have ADD and can't sit still enough to watch a goddamn video on my phone anyway

6. The only social media I use is Instagram and Snapchat - which are also set to work on wifi only

7. I DO check my email (once a day), I DO make voice calls (no facetime though), I DO text sometimes through iMessage (although I'm not a big texter anyway, too much effort), I DO read the news and check the weather from time to time (every other day of the week I'd say)

8. I don't even download songs or anything else on my phone - I download maybe 5 songs during the month with the downloads being limited to wifi only as well

so...

WTF FIDO. WTF. 

If this is the cost of upgrading my phone, please give me back my iPhone 5S - My phone bill should not be coming up to $300+ a month when my phone habits do not justify the charges. This is too high of a price to pay - I would accept my previous 10-20 $ extra  charges for going over my 2GB limit before, but this is getting way out of hand. I NEVER once reached even 6GB/month let alone FOURTEEN GB PER MONTH which is the case now!

I have been nothing but loyal to Fido for almost the past decade, but I will leave if this continues. 

** Edited to add tags and labels **

Accepted Solution

Re: DATA CHARGES OUT OF THIS WORLD

Solved by Moderator

Hi @seamonster,

Welcome to the Community! Smiley

Data usage is impacted by the model of your phone, the type of usage done, as well as your phone settings.

You can  see which apps use the most data in your phone by going to Settings - Cellular and then scroll down to "Use cellular data for". Keep in mind that those stats are not reset automatically every month and they represent the data usage done since the last time you reset them manually (if ever).

However, they're still an indication on which apps consume most data Smiley

You can check out some useful tips and trick on how to stay on top of your data usage right here: http://bit.ly/ManageData

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
Fidocares12
Fido Employee

@seamonster

Thanks for sharing your post, It sounds very upsetting the issue you are having, in your post you mentioned about using Instragram?  In your settings do you have your photosharing off and I cloud drive threw cell data turned off? when checking for emails how long before itt grabs new emails? 15 min -5 min more times per hour equals more data.  Any unsent emails in your outbox that could be trying to resend?

Let me know

This seems to be a common problem with iPhone using up too much data.

If you go to General under system services do you see a large amount of data being used there?

Some users said all they did was disable WiFi assist which you did but then go to general- reset- reset network settings and that worked.

Other solutions 

"I have just turned off all icloud auto updates, especially regarding messaging, and photos, and limited these to only update/upload when connected to wifi. I think the main one is to turn off 'Use Cellular Data'  under iCloud drive, and then to adjust settings under Photos, within the icloud settings. This has taken my 'general' data usage down from nearly 200mb in a day, to a little over 5mb."

"Go to settings, click on the icloud and switch off icloud drive and your problem will be gone forever."

"I found that my whatsapp was doing a daily backup to iCloud drive and consumed all my data plan. Changed the whatsapp to a monthly backup and turned off the "use cellular data" on iCloud drive."

Hi @seamonster,

Welcome to the Community! Smiley

Data usage is impacted by the model of your phone, the type of usage done, as well as your phone settings.

You can  see which apps use the most data in your phone by going to Settings - Cellular and then scroll down to "Use cellular data for". Keep in mind that those stats are not reset automatically every month and they represent the data usage done since the last time you reset them manually (if ever).

However, they're still an indication on which apps consume most data Smiley

You can check out some useful tips and trick on how to stay on top of your data usage right here: http://bit.ly/ManageData