Coverage in Waterloo, Laurier area

SOLVED
mike_from_ATT
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Coverage isnt very good on Laurier campus or north near all the highrises (King / columbia)... 700MHz was deployed recently and made some improvement but there are still dead spots in many buildings, and even Wind has better coverage. Any chance Rogers / fido might look into adding another tower or at least turning on extended coverage so I can use Bell (who has better coverage here) when I dont have wind?

Accepted Solution

Re: Coverage in Waterloo, Laurier area

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@mike_from_ATT wrote:

I know reception indoors isnt guaranteed, but it is relistically expected in a city (especially with a dense population), and above ground. All Im saying is Bell and Wind both manage to do it, it would be nice if Rogers / Fido caught up.

Hello Mike_from_ATT,

I would say indoor reception should be an ideal endeavor however it is not a very realistic expectation. There are so many things which can interfere with cell signal -- even above ground.

What exactly are Bell and Wind able to manage to do? I'm guessing it's that they're able to get you adequate cell signal where you are. That's the key isn't it, where you are.

Waterloo - Rogers.jpg

Waterloo - Bell.jpg

Waterloo - Wind.jpg

Screen captures taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

In that same area, Rogers actually has more cell towers than either Bell or Wind. It just happens, that both Bell and Wind have a tower closer to you on Hickory Street E. You wouldn't be saying the same praise if you lived near Beaver Creek Road.

Your perception that Bell and Wind are better is not about Rogers having to catch up, it's about where their cell towers are located in relation to your location. Each provider has their own strategic plans for their tower placement. As with anything, there are pros and cons for each strategy. Which is better is all relative and really depends on where you live or work.

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
FidoChristina
Former Moderator

Hey mike_from_ATT,

We have full LTE coverage in that area (Wilfred laurier University, Waterloo) but reception  indoors isn't guaranteed.

Feel free to have a look at our coverage maps here: 

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/support/mobile/coverage-travel

Let me know if you have other questions Smiley

mike_from_ATT
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I know reception indoors isnt guaranteed, but it is relistically expected in a city (especially with a dense population), and above ground. All Im saying is Bell and Wind both manage to do it, it would be nice if Rogers / Fido caught up.

@mike_from_ATT wrote:

Hello Mike_from_ATT,

I would say indoor reception should be an ideal endeavor however it is not a very realistic expectation. There are so many things which can interfere with cell signal -- even above ground.

What exactly are Bell and Wind able to manage to do? I'm guessing it's that they're able to get you adequate cell signal where you are. That's the key isn't it, where you are.

Waterloo - Rogers.jpg

Waterloo - Bell.jpg

Waterloo - Wind.jpg

Screen captures taken from here. I cannot vouch for accuracy.

In that same area, Rogers actually has more cell towers than either Bell or Wind. It just happens, that both Bell and Wind have a tower closer to you on Hickory Street E. You wouldn't be saying the same praise if you lived near Beaver Creek Road.

Your perception that Bell and Wind are better is not about Rogers having to catch up, it's about where their cell towers are located in relation to your location. Each provider has their own strategic plans for their tower placement. As with anything, there are pros and cons for each strategy. Which is better is all relative and really depends on where you live or work.

Cheers

I generally find coverage around the universities pretty good. The problem I do experience (my office is basically between the two campuses) is that every fall when many 10s of thousands of students return, the network get mushy. Signal is still strong but speed often drops to EDGE like speed for a few weeks and dropped/missed calls become very frequent. Having said that, it has improved a lot over the last few year to the point where I no longer dread the students coming back to town and basically losing connectivity. The other issue is that coverage on the edges of the cities is very poor. If you go to the west side (Boardwalk shopping centre) you will basically lose your signal down to edge or even completely, right down to 0 bars, no signal. Further north on the west side, where I live, 3G or even EDGE is normal.