Cost of plans

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Cost of plans

I'm looking at upgrading my device in the near future and to be honest I can't say I'm going to stay with Fido.

I've noticed at each and every cell provided the costs are through the roof for plans.

At first, I thought this was because of the CRTC rule regarding three year terms. But then I even noticed that for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) plans are insanely expensive from what I currently have.

This isn't just a problem with Fido, it's across the board. I have owned my phone for just about two years. Still under contract. But can anyone tell me why is that with a phone that I owned outright (BYOD) I would have to pay MORE per month for half as much data as I currently have?

So far from the forms I can find on the CRTC web site, I've had no luck finding a proper avenue to complain about the out right ripping off of wireless customers nation wide. I'm still looking.

If anyone at Fido would point me in the right direction for such a complaint, I'd be more than happy to follow up with it.

Accepted Solution

Re: Cost of plans

Hi there Nacht

I'm sorry to learn you feel this way about our plans and options & thank you for having taken the time to express your thoughts!

You mentioned that your plan today is less expensive then our BYOP Plans; it sounds like you might have a "grandfather plan" from a couple of years ago!

Existing customers (like yourself) can keep their older plan & keep benefitting from that lower rate!

This means you might be able get a phone subsidy with a Tab24 agreement, with your plan, instead of taking a BYOP Plan & getting the phone at full cost 😃

As for the cost of new plans, there really is a number of reasons that could explain the cost difference between phone plans today & a couple of years back. 

For one, the quality of the phones launched today is insanely higher then a couple of years ago, if you consider the software speed, camera, design, etc. New phones are naturally more expensive then the prior models, so since the subsidy is now covered on 2-years instead of 3, there's indeed a considerable difference there. The LTE Technology has also taken a few leaps & bounds in the past years. 

We've also made a few changes before the Code even started:

- The new device unlocking policy lets you unlock your phone after only 90 days of service.

- Easy-to-understand cancellation fees based on the discount you got on your phone.
- You can now track your data, voice, or text usage online or on your phone itself with our easy to use tools. 
- You can change your price plan to another plan of the same category, at any time during your term, without any fees or term extensions.
- Deactivate your service on the day you want. There’s no more 30-day waiting period.

We'd hate to see you go Nacht! I'll send you a PM so we can talk about it more!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Hi @Nacht

Unfortunately the CRTC is the place to make complaints about your wireless provider. Whats even more unfortunate is that the CRTC is a bunch of old guys that don't know much about technology. They made the providers stop locking customers into 3yrs contract and only allow them 2yrs, with the increasing cost of cellphones providers have 2yrs to get the money back instead of 3yrs which in turn will reflect higher monthly rates. Its no secret that Canadians pay the most for wireless service in the world because CRTC allows them to get away with it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi there Nacht

I'm sorry to learn you feel this way about our plans and options & thank you for having taken the time to express your thoughts!

You mentioned that your plan today is less expensive then our BYOP Plans; it sounds like you might have a "grandfather plan" from a couple of years ago!

Existing customers (like yourself) can keep their older plan & keep benefitting from that lower rate!

This means you might be able get a phone subsidy with a Tab24 agreement, with your plan, instead of taking a BYOP Plan & getting the phone at full cost 😃

As for the cost of new plans, there really is a number of reasons that could explain the cost difference between phone plans today & a couple of years back. 

For one, the quality of the phones launched today is insanely higher then a couple of years ago, if you consider the software speed, camera, design, etc. New phones are naturally more expensive then the prior models, so since the subsidy is now covered on 2-years instead of 3, there's indeed a considerable difference there. The LTE Technology has also taken a few leaps & bounds in the past years. 

We've also made a few changes before the Code even started:

- The new device unlocking policy lets you unlock your phone after only 90 days of service.

- Easy-to-understand cancellation fees based on the discount you got on your phone.
- You can now track your data, voice, or text usage online or on your phone itself with our easy to use tools. 
- You can change your price plan to another plan of the same category, at any time during your term, without any fees or term extensions.
- Deactivate your service on the day you want. There’s no more 30-day waiting period.

We'd hate to see you go Nacht! I'll send you a PM so we can talk about it more!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3