Cost of Data only phone number in different province

SOLVED
id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hi,

One clarification about fido charging system,

I have a Data /Tablet plan from Fido & I am living in Alberta, so fido give me some random Alberta phone number which I want to change Ontario number. I already block all incoming & outgoing calls/sms through that line, only allowed thing is data transferring. I know there is no roaming for data in Canada wide and its independent to phone number. So my question is, if I choose Toronto number in my line but I will always stay in Alberta region. How the fido system is going to charge me for that line. My main concern is In Alberta only having a GST & Ontario Having a HST. So there is difference in tax slab. I read online many people write it depends upon the location where service uses it means I am in Alberta so only GST charge. But it may be possible to phone number location also. but in my case phone number is dummy fido number, I am not getting any sms/incoming calls etc. so please clarify this to me.

Also due to this effect I have to change my phone number back to Alberta number, fido selfserve system allowed me to change phone number two times  within on billing circle free of cost or I have to change next month.

thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Cost of Data only phone number in different province

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey @id4vip

@Frozen_ is right, the taxes depend on your phone number. If your data line has an Ontario number you will be billed the taxes according to Ontario . 

@KAPABLE-K isn't wrong since the taxes are not dependent on where you use it in Canada, but they are dependent on your phone number! 

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

thanks for clarify my question,

now i need help from FIDO side,

i have already changed my Alberta number to Ontario number, now i want to go back in Alberta number because it is cheaper then Ontario number for my case. i know i can able to do that in FIDO self serve easily, but i also do not want to waste FIDO resources ( i.e, if i pick brand new number from self serve my old deserted Alberta phone number is not used by anybody for specific time, due to regulatory restrictions) for me FIDO number is useless it needed by FIDO internally, for me either (XXX-XXX-abcd) or (XXX-XXX-wxyz) both are same. so if from FIDO side somebody help me reuse/recycle my old number then wasting new number for my line & he or she fit my old Alberta number to my line, i will very thankful to you,

side note from my side: i do not want to pay manual number change fee from FIDO side as i want to help FIDO to Recycle old number. so all transaction for changing number must be free. thanks

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @id4vip

I got you! I'll send you a PM shortly Smiley .

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@id4vip For your data only account the taxes is not dependant on where you use it in Canada because it can be used anywhere in Canada providing you have recption, the taxes is dependent on the billing address. 

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@id4vip For your data only account the taxes is not dependant on where you use it in Canada because it can be used anywhere in Canada providing you have recption, the taxes is dependent on the billing address. 

To correct this - The taxes for your recurring monthly fees are based on the area code of your phone number.

Hey @id4vip

@Frozen_ is right, the taxes depend on your phone number. If your data line has an Ontario number you will be billed the taxes according to Ontario . 

@KAPABLE-K isn't wrong since the taxes are not dependent on where you use it in Canada, but they are dependent on your phone number!