Confusing New Plans!

Confusing New Plans!

Confusing New Plans!

SOLVED
Shs
I'm a Contributor Level 2
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Confusing New Plans!

I've been with Fido for over 15 years and I'm considering leaving, the new plans are so confusing for customers!

I need a new phone and there is so many things attached to the deal, very deceptive!

Accepted Solution

Re: Confusing New Plans!

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 1

The plans are not deceptive at all. You just have to look what you are looking for. 

• Talk / Text plans are only for - talk and text.
  • Data / Talk / Text plans are same as talk and text + data (500 MB to 3 GB / month).
  • Fido Pulse plans are same as talk, text, and data (2 Gb to 7 Gb / month).  You also get Fido Roam (roaming discounts) and Spotify(music subscription service)).  Note the numbers outlined here is applicable if you bring your unlocked phone to Fido to sign up for service.

What about the Plus 5, Plus 10, Plus 25, Plus 35 plans?

I like to call these "finance options" because they are essentially finance options for your phone. Here's the breakdown. 

• Plus 5 = 5 dollars a month on top of your plan if you want Fido to sponsor part of the cost of the phone for you. In return, you pay a total of 5 dollars a month for the duration of your contract (2 years). In other words, you will pay $120 for your phone in 2 years, and Fido might give you a small discount on your phone, and you pay for the balance of the phone up front when you sign up for a 2 year contract.
  • The same applies to Plus 10, Plus 25, and Plus 35.
  • Plus 35 = 35 dollars a month on top of the cost of your plan. In other words, you pay a total of $840 dollars in 2 years for your phone. Usually with this plan, you will not have to pay anything for your phone up front (hence "free phone"). This option is great for users who wants to purchase a phone but don't want to pay $700 - 800 dollars up front and instead willing to pay $35.00 every month for 2 years to "finance" the phone.

Let's say you want an LG G5:

• You can buy the phone outright ($800) and join a no term 2Gb Pulse plan, then your phone will cost $800 and your monthly bill will be $55.00 + GST.
  • Alternatively, you can sign up for a 2 year agreement for the 2GB Pulse 10 plan, then your phone will cost $270.00 and your monthly bill will be $65.00 + GST. (Note: You would have paid $240 + $270 = $510 for your phone at the end of 2 years).
  • You can also go with Promo Plus25 2GB plan. You will not have to pay anything for your phone at the time of signing for the contract, and your monthly bill will be $80.00 + GST. (Note: You would have paid $600.00 for your phone at the end of 2 years)
  • You can also go with Plus 35 2 GB plan. You will not have to pay anything for your phone at the time of signing for the contract, and your monthly bill will be $90.00 + GST. (Note: You would have paid $840.00 for your phone at the end of 2 years and you pay $40.00 for financing the phone for 2 years.)

Of course if you select a different phone, your numbers will be differnet but the basic idea stays the same.

View solution in context
34 REPLIES 34
jodycherwonak
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'd say it is very confusing as now devices say $$ amount with large plan or $$$ with med plan...they don't say what a large plan is !!!!

Hey @jodycherwonak

Welcome to the Community. 

We actually provide the information about our plans right from here

I hope this helps! Smiley 

Thanks for clarifying your question @jodycherwonak Smiley 

In the plan page, you can see  Small, Medium, Large next to every price.

Are you trying to see what plan you already have?

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

The easiest method to picking a new phone/plan is to start with the new phone you want.

All phones:  https://www.fido.ca/nac/#/choose-phone

Choose the phone you want by clicking "Select", for example, Apple iPhone 6S.

You should now see a "Customize your phone" page where you can move a slider with the plan options "LARGE / MEDIUM / SMALL / NO TERM". As you move the slider, you will see all the plans below that qualify for the plan category. For example, to get the iPhone 6S at $0 under LARGE plan option would be $95 per month. However, if you move the slider to MEDIUM the iPhone would be $119 upfront with a MEDIUM plan of $80 per month.

I find it much easier to start with the new device you want and then going from there to your plan options. Additionally, you can log into your Fido My Account and click "Upgrade Device" to see how much, for example, the iPhone 6S would be on your EXISTING PLAN as well as any exclusive offers Fido has just for you! Hope this helps friend Smiley

Gcast
I'm a Participant Level 1

I had a bad experience when I renewed also. I was not told my new plan wasn't a Pulse plan and I lost access to the five extra hours of Internet and Spotify.  I wasn't told.  I called to verify and was made a good offer.  I asked them to give me time to talk to my husband about it and when I called back they had changed their mind and all of a sudden what they had offered me wasn't available... Or was"impossible that it could've been offered to me".  So I felt like they said I was lying.  I'm stuck in my plan for the rest of the time.  But first chance I get, I'm out.  Can't wait till Shaw comes to Quebec.

Hey @Gcast and welcome to our Community!

Sorry to learn about the troubles on your account, I assure you that's not the kind of experience we want for any of our customers! 

We surely wouldn't want to see you go Sad

I'll send you a PM so we can check it all out together.

TheBurn
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I paid off my phone on a plus 15 plan recently but my payments have not decreased. 

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

If your commitment period has ended, your Plus 15 plan price will continue at the same rate; you are now month-to-month and not locked into an agreement anymore. The "Plus 15" or extra $15 built into your plan will continue even after your device is paid off. At Fido, your plan type (small, medium, large, etc) is permanently built into your monthly plan -- it is not like other cell providers who give you a 24-month extra $15 charge monthly and then your plan price drops after the device is paid off.

In your case @TheBurn, you are now paying an extra $15 monthly and essentially not benefiting from your Plus 15 plan anymore. You now have an incentive to switch to Bring Your Own Device (BOYD) plan which is typically cheaper or take a new 24-month contract aka take advantage of your plus 15 plan.

TheBurn

Can I stay with this contract and get a phone that is free on a medium plan. Retention is only offering me plans that will increase how much I am spending which I am not going to do every two years as I already did last time. The medium plans are 15$ more expensive then k0odo.

Hey @TheBurn!

Did @nick67's suggestion help? 

Keep us posted! 

TheBurn

Thanks Nick and Pamela, it was a help however I would like to discuss further and customer service has not been of any help. Is there someone I can speak about this.

We'll be happy to further help and check out your options. 

I'll send you a PM here in just a moment. 

Chat soon Smiley 

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

@TheBurn, I recommend logging into My Account via Fido.ca and clicking on Upgrade My Device. Choose a phone you want and then on the phone page, click the option “keep existing plan”. It will show you the upfront device cost with your existing plan. In addition, if you have an Exclusive Offers, they will show up here. Hope this help Smiley

jodycherwonak
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have no problem finding the plans. .but hoe do I know if a 75 dollar plus pulse plan is a "large" plan or a medium plan...it does not say !