Confirmed: Fido does NOT honour reservations.

I'm a Contributor Level 2 yogurtlover
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Confirmed: Fido does NOT honour reservations.

After asking a CSR for some details on my iPhone 6 Plus reservation, I was told something that we all suspected and witnessed. It's just been confirmed by one of their reps: the phones they receive from Apple do NOT go 100% towards reservations first. Here's what a Fido rep told me over chat:

The stock we receive really depends on Apple. Once we receive them, we spread units across all our stores in Canada, while keeping a certain number aside for reservations.

There you have it. We all put down $40 for a CHANCE to receive it before those who didn't reserve. We are NOT priority. Loyalty does not matter.

Accepted Solution

Re: Confirmed: Fido does NOT honour reservations.

There are indeed stocks reserved exclusively for reservations and others available for purchase directly in store without reservation. There's also some stores that don't participate in the reservation program.

The 2nd question in the FAQ on Fido.ca should help understand the process better.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 22
I'm a Participant Level 2 VincentP
I'm a Participant Level 2

Did you just ask him why he reserved with fido?

You do realize that shows how bad your reservation system is?

Let me aware you people of something; because you claim we should have known fido wasn't prioritizing their loyal customers who reserved, does not mean it's good practice.

Having a reservation system in place means this; you take a number, and as we get our iphones, we give it to the people who RESERVED first. Not half of it to stores. What's the point of reserving if you're not in priority?

If I had known, I would have went somewhere else for my phone. I had trust in fido's customer service, I was a satisfied customer for a long time ( 8 years and counting ).

But seeing this- and especially your replies, makes me sick. I am strongly considering switching carriers now.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

First let me say that I'm not affilicated with Fido in any way.

Having said that, VincentP please do switch carriers, and here is my reasoning. I hope you can understand why after my post.

Fido doesn't care how bad their reservation system nor their lack of iphone is. Fido wants you to switch carriers, perferability to Rogers, where there is no lack of iphone6 avaliable. Also by saying you are a long time customer.... Fido REALLY wants you to switch, especially if you are those loyal customers still holding to a $60 / 6GB plan.

Fido is only in business today becuase there are still canadians who cannot afford a $80 minimum for a wireless package, and to claim that market share without diluting the Rogers branding they turn Fido into their 'value brand'.

So went the iphone rolls along and stock is limited you make the hard choice... give priority to the higher paying customers or be 'equal' on a first come first serve base?

I really think Fido is aiming to make your loyal customers upset. That way you can switch carriers and get out of their grandfather plans.

Once you switch carriers, the real fun starts! you mentioned you have been with Fido for 8 years... do you know why? Its becuase your phone works fine for the past 8 years! Now do you know the new carrier you are about to switch to, do it have as good coverage as Fido/Rogers? there MIGHT be just a location you frequent visit doesn't have coverage becuase of a blind spot with the antennas. You won't know until you signed that 2 year contract with the new carrier. So now your dielema is: keep using the new carrier cuase you paid for a 2 year contract with poor reception at certain places or turn tail and swtich back to Roger/Fido which you know has good reception for the past 8 years but now have to pay current prices as a new customer?

Look, I agree with you that Fido reservation system is poor. but don't let switch over something that is not their main point to begin with. Treat Fido as a Wireless carrier and made decisions based on the price and coverage they can provide you and your daily routine. If you want top notch service in reserving iphones I would recommand Apple.ca. I hear they are the best in that field with years of experience and you will be upmost priority if you would just pay the **bleep** full price for the phone.

Some of you might notice I'm always here 'defending' Fido.... The truth is I'm really not. I'm just trying to make some sense to you people who seem be get upset for all the wrong reasons, in my mind, switching carriers becuase of their poor phone reservation system is like not buying that dream car on sale becuase they wont give you floor mats. You guys are playing right in Rogers/Fido's hands by switching away your grandfather plans for other carriers that you know even know their coverage is suitable for your personal use.  

Hope I can talk some sense into your Vincent, but regardless good luck in your wireless future.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 22
I'm a Contributor Level 1 dandd
I'm a Contributor Level 1

It's not only fido.  If you check the Rogers forums there's a form with 1300 + pages for the reservation system that shows that they are also still waiting for reservation.  ALL Providers will be working the same way.  It's the iPhone.  There's going to be some that go to the stores for sale and some for reservation.  Try telling a new potential customer for any provider that they can't have an iPhone because they have to give them to their current customers first.  that will never work as word would get out quickly and would lose ALOT of potential customers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 22
I'm a Participant Level 1 Davidwww
I'm a Participant Level 1

I WILL NEVER EVER RESERVE A PHONE FROM FIDO.

Ordered it on Sept, 12 - and today is Oct, 14 still waiting.......STATUS OPEN...

My frd that use Roger got his phone on Sept, 13 - Iphone 6 plus 128GB.

Next time I will just get it straight from Apple instead.

Seriously Fido really suck

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 22
I'm a Contributor Level 2 yogurtlover

existing customers are clearly not the priority. remember that.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 22
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Daphoid

Your blame is entirely in the wrong place. EVERY provider, including Apple, is having issues fulfilling demand.

Take a read of the summary of Apple's earnings call this week. Two key points:
- They're selling absolutely every iPhone they can make
- They didn't even attempt to predict when supply would level out with demand

If you're selling every single phone you make, that means there's nothing in the channel as inventory, that means there's no "In Stock" for you to randomly walk in off the street and buy.

If this was Fido's fault, you'd be able to walk into a Future Shop, Best Buy, or Apple store, and buy a phone without issue.

But you can't.

All of those stores have reservation systems and are telling people "Sorry, none available" just as much as Fido is.

If you want to be angry at Fido, be angry because their reservation system customers don't get 100% priority for incoming hardware. Though if you read the agreement when you reserved, you'd know they stated outright that not every phone goes to the reservation system. Some go to stores, and some stores aren't even participating in the reservation system.

You're angry like a 2 year old child. If you stopped crying for 5 minutes, and read the facts a bit. You'd realize this isn't soley Fido's fault, not in the slightest.

EDIT: And I should note, all the reservation system guarentees is that when a phone is available for you, you'll get a call that its at the store you chose. You're paying $40 so that you don't have to call every Fido store in the city, or wonder the mall, or refresh Apple's store stock pages. You're paying so that you can go on with your day, and when your phone is ready, you can just go pick it up.

Not to be super special and get ahead in the virtual line. If that's what you expected, you should've read the reservation terms more clearly instead of clicking "I Agree here's $40" like a sheep.

EDIT 2: And finally just to note, I'm still personally waiting for my iPhone 6+, I'm 1220 in line right now, probably much farther back in line then you are; and I still realize the above. Patience is a virtue, find some.

- D

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 22
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Just a sugestion for people waiting in line. I was shopping this weekend and just by curiosity asked the 3 future shops i went to if they have iPhone 6 and 6+ and all of them did. And they confirmed they can just charge the price on the fido bill instead of in store (can't confirm all future shop do that tho...).

Also each time I activated a new sim for somebody having the iPhone 6, I asked where they got the phone and many of them got it from Future Shop or Apple store.

I don't know why and how, it just seems they have a lot of iPhones 6...

So go to one or call one and try your luck!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 22
I'm a Participant Level 1 thedarthken
I'm a Participant Level 1

Why would someone ever go to 3 Future Shops and ask by "Curiosity" if they had them in stock? Are there 3 Future Shops in the same strip mall you go to?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 22
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

@thedarthken wrote:

Why would someone ever go to 3 Future Shops and ask by "Curiosity" if they had them in stock? Are there 3 Future Shops in the same strip mall you go to?

I said i was shopping... Was searching for beats wireless bluetooth earphones which were rather hard to find. So since had to run around from mall to mall might as well ask if they have iPhones 6 just to know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 22
I'm a Participant Level 2 VincentP
I'm a Participant Level 2

Do you know what the verb to reserve means? I did not pay 40$ to save myself a trip to a mall. That is also not what fido is selling with their RESERVATION SYSTEM. That is only a perk.

People who RESERVED paid money so they would get priority in fido's iphone stock. There is no other way to put it and to claim I'm wrong is a fallacy.

Insulting people and saying they're angry like a 2 years old child is a little bit ironic and immature, don't you think? Clearly a LOT of people feel like they're being fooled by Fido here, I am very glad you, oh grand master of patience and virtue, don't feel the same, but please, stop acting like your opinion is fact.

I'd say people are pretty patient enough seeing how the stocks haven't moved in a whole month now.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 22