Competitive upgrade plans for Loyal Customer

I'm a Participant Level 2 geebski
I'm a Participant Level 2

Competitive upgrade plans for Loyal Customer

Fido has always been my number UNO Canadian Mobility Company. Every time I called and I was greeted by pleasant customer service associates and ended each call truly satisfied I made the best choice to remain with Fido.   I signed up with fido after I purchased my first Apple iphone 3GS at full value.   NO CONTRACT. I have been on the same plan since 2008. 

My call last January I decided to finally explore what loyalty promotion offered to upgrade from my current 10+ years old plan to a plan similar to what I have but with 2x data and $$ savings

To keep this short, The Fido associate offered me a plan under Januarys loyalty Promo which I know it’s not competitive with other promotions available in the market I was expecting that perhaps I was going to be offered 2 options to choose from but no.  

Since i don’t have a contract, I will start shopping for competitive plans.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
MVP
MVP

Re: Competitive upgrade plans for Loyal Customer

Hello Geebski,

Welcome to the community!

When you're shopping for those competitive plans, just make sure you're comparing similar services. Phone plans are more than just the amount of data. Some plans only include Province-wide calling. Some plans only include '3G' data. Some plans are limited by Home and Away networks with restrictions on Away network use...  They're only competitve if they offer similar services for less. Often, you're just not paying for what you're not getting.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8

Hey @geebski

Sorry to hear you weren't entirely satisfied with what was presented to you.

We'd like to have a second look at your option so I'll send you a PM on here Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
I'm a Participant Level 2 geebski
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thank you for the tips.  Much appreciated.  FidoCharles sent me PM offering to help so I want to work with him on that and see if Fido will remain as my Number 1 Canadian Mobility Company Choice.   

Cheers 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 ToloCDN
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Be ready to be dissappointed. Fido lags and just hurriedly tries to play catch up on other carrier offerings (see the 10GB fiasco). People want data (apps for voice calls can offer the EXACT same options as voice - which go over data networks and are digital anyways!) and all we really need is data!

I've spent decades working in the cell/coms biz and folks need to wake-up and stop letting marketting pull fast ones.

Don't be too mean to the techs tho as they are at the mercy of sales (see the recent cbc articles about Rogers and company).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
MVP
MVP

ToloCDN wrote: ...People want data (apps for voice calls can offer the EXACT same options as voice - which go over data networks and are digital anyways!) and all we really need is data!....

Hello ToloCDN,

That's all fine and dandy as long as you can access that data...

I was trying not to single out any one other provider, but you mentioned the 10Gb fiasco. Freedom Mobile made the bold move to offer that amount of data at lower cost because their customer base is small -- they need more customers. It was an incentive promotion, and yes, the others did follow suit. When the other providers (Fido included) decided to offer similarly priced plans for the same amount of data, they dropped the cost of their offering.

I noted above that phone plans are more than just the amount of data. Despite the large data offering for less money, Freedom Mobile saw record disconnects during that promotion period (see here). That means that some people -- more than just a few -- opted to spend more money to leave Freedom. Read what you will from that information, but to me, that means people want more than just data from their mobile providers. Now, I'm not trying to put down Freedom, and I'm not saying that their service will not suit anyone. All I am saying is, if you are considering them, make sure the services they offer suit your needs.

Why did I bring all that up? It's clear that, regardless of the amount of data, the services offered by Freedom are not the same as those offered by Fido (or other providers). Their lower cost is not competitive. That's lesser service for lesser cost. If you compare plans with similar services, I think you'll find that Fido isn't lagging.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
I'm a Contributor Level 2 ToloCDN
I'm a Contributor Level 2

This doesn't really help as it literally covers ONE carrier and aspect. There is no mention of offerings from MVNOs (for those not familiar with these - they buy and resell network access), or even loyalty offerings. The 10GB fiasco was enough of a trigger to catch Fido off guard (regardless of who offered it first) and more of an issue with you not having the people, processes or systems in place to even service the offering within a respectable time frame.

Now let's move into loyalty offerings and other promos. For example, on a MtM with certain carriers, we'll put you on an in market plan, cheaper than what we offer our "loyal" customers. So, basically present customers, even other new sign-ups are excluded because they're not special enough. Are carriers now denying the fact that voice is carried over the same digital networks as data stream? Yes, they're typically offloaded to 3G networks instead of LTE so as not to over-saturate networks, not because they are totally unique, magically separate voice only networks. Then let us not forget how one can run a VOIP app over the data network on a $15/m for 3Gb of data right on Fido's LTE network (again voice over the same data stream).  Again for those that don't know, the app basically does what the carrier does in the backend, detects a packet/segment from the DATA stream, deemed as a voice call and sends it to the right "parts of the phone".

As far as Freedom (formerly Wind), is concerned, what they do to get customers is up to them and if they can do it at a price point, obviously they must be making money, unless they wanted to try and bow out gracefully. Coverage for those in their network can be an issue, sure, just like anyone in a Rogers dead-zone but Bell zone can be effected. To their benefit, they are slowly but surely rolling out LTE and new networks at the same price point of their "old" network.

In the end this is about Fido and what they should be doing to be at the forefront of offerings as they ONCE were until, do I say corrupted, by Rogers?! In all my years I've dealt with Fido I've only had one really bad dealing with a CS rep and that was really recent (who thought she was going to pull a fast one and get me to cancel my service - locking my number etc into the void) when I asked what the porting out process was from your end. Again, this is why I don't yell at reps or techs (nearly did at the person who tried to get me to cancel service - but didn't) as I know first hand the BS they have to put up with because of "corp policies".

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

ToloCDN wrote:...There is no mention of offerings from MVNOs (for those not familiar with these - they buy and resell network access) ....

That wasn't the point. Did you read my earlier post here? The whole point of my previous posts was so people compare similar services. The majority of the MVNOs offer prepaid services. Speak Out, PC Mobile, Petro-Canada Mobility, Chatr, Public Mobile... all prepaid offerings. Some of them offer data; some of them do not. Some of those plans only offer '3G' data. Some of those plans only offer Province-Wide calling... Compare similar services.

With regards to loyalty offerings, unfortunately, the days of deep discounts have past. In the good ol' days, merchants would provide discounts for their loyal customers by reducing profit margins. These days, profit margins are a lot narrower so there is less room to provide discounts. It's the same in any industry.

While there might be some incentive promotions which are directed at new customers, most in-market BYOP plans are available to existing customers as well -- provided your current plan doesn't have a subsidy attached. If it does, you wouldn't be able to get a month-to-month plan until the balance of your device is paid. However, you would have to get a new plan with subsidy payments included.

Fido is at the forefront with their offerings. As far as I'm aware, they're the only providers to offer Data Bytes. Again, if you compare similar services, Fido's plans are pretty competitive.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8