Collect calls when roaming

SOLVED
1489fido
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi,

During my trip to Asia last month I was stolen my credit card and call my bank and Visa at their collect call numbers from my Fido phone. However, I was charged for the calls. Does anyone know if that's normal? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Collect calls when roaming

Solved by I'm an Expert Level 2
Collect calls only means they pick up any long distance charges for you. Has nothing, at all to do with roaming.

Just as the call would cost you airtime minutes in Canada, you will be charged roaming when outside Canada. But they'll pick up the LD charges.
View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Collect calls only means they pick up any long distance charges for you. Has nothing, at all to do with roaming.

Just as the call would cost you airtime minutes in Canada, you will be charged roaming when outside Canada. But they'll pick up the LD charges.

@10yearfido wrote:

Hello,

True. But in order for them to pick up the LD charges, you have to call them collect. That is, calling the (international) operator and having them make the collect call for you (may be automated). The receiver then has to accept the charges before call will connect. That is how they are different from toll-free numbers. Direct dialing call collect numbers is the same as dialing any other number. They are considered collect call numbers because the person answering the phone is willing accept the charges.

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure if collect calls can even be made from Fido or cellular phones in general. For it to work, the service provider operator needs to connect the call. I have a feeling many service providers do not have operators anymore. Collect calls may need to be made from landlines or payphones.

Cheers

Roskov
I'm Qualified Level 1

If you called the correct collect number then no it's not normal.

On the fido bill, does it show the number you called and got charged for? If yes, just contact your bank/visa with a copy of the bill and they should be able to take care of this. If no call fido to get a proof for what exactly you were charged.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Completely normal if you were charged roaming for these calls.
Roskov
I'm Qualified Level 1

I have to disagree 10yearfido. The whole point why banks give a collect call number is to be able to reach them when outside of Canada/USA. If you look at visa Contact Us page, they give a toll free number and then a collect number for when you are outside of the country.

If they didn't take the charges for the call you should just call them with a copy of the bill.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

And the reason they give you a collect number to call is because 800 are only good when calling from certain areas. Some are only good when calling from the US, some only when calling from Canada, etc. So, if you are in any area where their 800 won't work, they provide you with another number for you to call collect. This collect number and the toll free numbers exist for only one reason...to allow the company to take on the LD charges on behalf of the caller. That's it. Calling collect has no relationship to roaming. 

mbjegan
I'm a Participant Level 3

So - will the company with "call collect" numbers pay for my LD charges if I forward them the relevant billing? Anybody done this successfully?

@mbjegan wrote:

So - will the company with "call collect" numbers pay for my LD charges if I forward them the relevant billing? Anybody done this successfully?

Hello Mbjegan,

Welcome to the forums!

I think it would depend on the company. Some smaller companies might not accept collect calls from international origins in the first place because of their substantially higher rates. If that is the case, I would think it's unlikely they would reimburse you. On the other hand, some of the larger insurance companies do specify call collect from anywhere. Given your situation (from your other thread), I would say it's worth a try.

Out of curiosity, how did you try to connect the call? Outside of the country, you would have to dial the international operator of the service provider in that country and have them (possibly automated) dial the collect number. The party you're trying to connect to would then have to accept the charges before you would get connected.

If you dialed the number directly, that would explain why the LD charges are showing on your account. For future reference, you would need to get a hold of provider's operator (if they have one). I'm not even sure you can make collect calls from Fido unless you're on prepaid (see here **edit** and here**). You might also consider calling from a landline (payphone) next time.

Toll-free numbers (ie 1-800 etc) can be dialed directly and can be made from cellular phones.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers