Charged for 'Voicemail Received'

SOLVED
xzxzxzxzxzx
I'm a Participant Level 3

I have a prepaid Fido number. I was travelling overseas, so I didn't take any calls because that would have been expensive due to roaming fees, instead i let them all go to voicemail. 

But in the middle of the trip, I got a notification that my balance ran out, which was surprising because i made sure not to make/take calls/send messages. So I'm checking my transaction history online and it seems i've been charged $3.50 for every call that i let got to voicemail, and in the history, the call type is 'Voicemail Received', and the call description is 'local call'. Which doesn't make any sense.

I checked the timestamps, and indeed, those correspond to the missed calls on my phone.

What's funny is there's no way out of this, Call barring is not supported, and if took the SIM out, I wouldn't be able to receive important text messages.

Also, what's the deal with the short time for storing messages, only 3 days? i didn't get to listen to any of those expensive voice mails. It used to be a week, what's up Fido, getting worse?

Accepted Solution

Re: Charged for 'Voicemail Received'

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@xzxzxzxzxzx wrote:

I have a prepaid Fido number. I was travelling overseas, so I didn't take any calls because that would have been expensive due to roaming fees, instead i let them all go to voicemail. 

But in the middle of the trip, I got a notification that my balance ran out, which was surprising because i made sure not to make/take calls/send messages. So I'm checking my transaction history online and it seems i've been charged $3.50 for every call that i let got to voicemail, and in the history, the call type is 'Voicemail Received', and the call description is 'local call'. Which doesn't make any sense.

I checked the timestamps, and indeed, those correspond to the missed calls on my phone.

What's funny is there's no way out of this, Call barring is not supported, and if took the SIM out, I wouldn't be able to receive important text messages.

Also, what's the deal with the short time for storing messages, only 3 days? i didn't get to listen to any of those expensive voice mails. It used to be a week, what's up Fido, getting worse?

***Edited to add tags and labels***

Hello Xzxzxzxzxzx,

How did you 'let them all go to voicemail'? If you Declined the call, ie physically pressed the Decline or No Answer buttons, then the call would have reached your phone overseas and then had been sent back to your voicemail in Canada. If this is the case, then the call would have been considered forwarded to your voicemail. Forwarded calls do incur air-time charges. 

On the other hand, if you let your phone ring-out, ie did not Decline the call, then the call would not have reached your phone and there should have been no charge for having a voice message left. 

With regards to message storage, I believe it should be 5 days. You can review the details of pre-paid voice messaging here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@xzxzxzxzxzx wrote:

***Edited to add tags and labels***

Hello Xzxzxzxzxzx,

How did you 'let them all go to voicemail'? If you Declined the call, ie physically pressed the Decline or No Answer buttons, then the call would have reached your phone overseas and then had been sent back to your voicemail in Canada. If this is the case, then the call would have been considered forwarded to your voicemail. Forwarded calls do incur air-time charges. 

On the other hand, if you let your phone ring-out, ie did not Decline the call, then the call would not have reached your phone and there should have been no charge for having a voice message left. 

With regards to message storage, I believe it should be 5 days. You can review the details of pre-paid voice messaging here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

xzxzxzxzxzx

1. I might have let it ring out or declined the call. I don't remember. But I can usually decline calls without incurring forwarded calls airtime charges when i'm in Canada, so it doesn't make sense to be subjected to roaming charges for declined calls (0 minutes of airtime have been used). Also, that same page you referenced says No Charge to Messages deposited in your voicemail while roaming. It doesn't say except when calls are declined.

2. I could swear I read 3 days on a different page comparing the voicemail packages, but i can't find it.. anyway.

@xzxzxzxzxzx wrote:

... But I can usually decline calls without incurring forwarded calls airtime charges when i'm in Canada, so it doesn't make sense to be subjected to roaming charges for declined calls (0 minutes of airtime have been used). Also, that same page you referenced says No Charge to Messages deposited in your voicemail while roaming. It doesn't say except when calls are declined.

Hello again,

Call forwarding while roaming is different from call forwarding within Canada.

call forwarding.jpg

Screen capture taken from here.

It happens because the call was declined on a foreign network. It's not Fido; it's the overseas network you're roaming on. It's a roaming charge; you used their network to decline the call. The call reached your phone and by declining it, it got forwarded to your voicemail via the foreign network. I'm pretty sure most, if not all international networks' roaming operates in this way. 

The only way to avoid the charges would be to let the calls ring-out. It would be like the phone is not reachable. If the ringing is an annoyance, you might consider setting your ring volume to zero.

Cheers

xzxzxzxzxzx

I see how it works but still, it doesn't make much sense. According to that page, all voicemail depositing are refferred to as call forwarding, whether they're declined or unreachable calls, but only the former incur charges due to the action itself of declining the call while roaming, however, declining calls while roaming are usually free of charge (when call forwarding is not enabled) because again, 0 minutes of airtime are used, so it's not consistent.

However I think understand what you mean. Thanks for the info. But, I still think your voicemail info page contains incorrect information and should be ammended to say roaming charges apply for declined calls, instead of 'No charge'.

Perhaps a better solution to this is to enable unconditional call forwarding to the voicemail number (since other options are not available on the Fido network), then calls would go directly to voicemail without any roaming interaction, and since no airtime charges should apply to forwarding calls to the Fido voicemail number, then no charges whatsover should occur for receiving voicemail while roaming.

2. I found it, it's the postpaid users that only get 3 days of voicemail storage. suckers Smiley