Changing my phone after signing a contract

SOLVED
KJava
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'm thinking of getting Nexus S and signing a three years fido agreement, but I'd like to change my phone if anything better comes out (Galaxy S2). Can I do that once I have a contract? Is Fido gonna charge me for The Nexus?

Accepted Solution

Re: Changing my phone after signing a contract

Solved by Former Moderator FidoJudhy
Hello KJava,

If under an agreement, as Paolo mentioned, you still may get a new phone, but you would have to pay the full price for it. You will become eligible for an agreement renewal 6 months prior to the end of your current agreement. You will not have to cancel your previous agreement to be able to renew within those 6 months, but your new agreement would start only after the current one ends.

If the phone comes out within the first 15 days or 30 minutes of usage of your new phone, you would then be able to return your handset to us and exchange it for a new handset.

I hope this answers your question!
View solution in context
13 REPLIES 13
MSB
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

Can I change phone after contract.I got moto x n I want iPhone 4s.both are $0. I just got it 3days ago.can I get it o not fido
SilvanoRosauri
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Ya hi i need help 

I Have A blackberry curve 9300 and i just got it back from repair Smiley I now looking that blackberry isnt me anymore so i would like to know can i switch from my blackberry to a IPhone 4s im 1 year into my contract of 3 years or do i have to wait till the contract is up and i can switch. I just want to know that but if not il keep my blackberry until whenever i can change

Thanks Smiley 

Alex

SilvanoRosauri

or even a IPhone 4 i dont mind Smiley

You can always switch whenever you like. If you'd like the iPhone 4s today it will cost you $650+ tax for the 16GB model. If you were wanting it discounted you'll have to wait another 18 months (last 6 months of your current contract).
SilvanoRosauri

ok thank you soo much so il stick with my blackberry until my 18 months of contract. soo look if i change my mind and i want my IPhone 4s do i have to pay the whole phone or can I ask for another 3 year contract for that Phone. or even can you tell me the prices for IPhone 4. and also my sis wants a IPhone or Blackberry so can i share minuites with her or she'll have to get her own contract

But thanks anyways Smiley 

it really helped 

@SilvanoRosauri wrote:

ok thank you soo much so il stick with my blackberry until my 18 months of contract. soo look if i change my mind and i want my IPhone 4s do i have to pay the whole phone or can I ask for another 3 year contract for that Phone. or even can you tell me the prices for IPhone 4. and also my sis wants a IPhone or Blackberry so can i share minuites with her or she'll have to get her own contract

But thanks anyways Smiley 

it really helped 

As I mentioned, you can buy the iPhone whenever you like but it will not be discounted until you are in the last 6 months of your contract. For the prices of the various models, check apple.ca.

Fido doesn't offer shared minutes anymore (they used to have couples plans), so she would have to get her own contract and her own plan. You can add a line to your account for her. I think you would be able to get an iPhone discounted then (but only one, so you'd have to decide who gets it and who gets the old BB). By being on the same account, all calls between you and her would not incur airtime fees.

SilvanoRosauri

also i made up my mind and i decided that im gonna cancel my contract with my blackberry and make one for the IPhone 4s. im going to fido on friday if i have time i would like to know if i make a new contract for the IPhone 4s but i can get the phone at 159$? with the 3 year contract?? and how much is it to cancel a contract with my blackberry if its exspensive il keep the contract okay Smiley

thanks Smiley Smiley Smiley

Hey SilvanoRosauri!

If you indeed cancel your blackberry agreement before upgrading your device, it will certainly be possible for you to get the iPhone 4S 16 GB at $159 + tax - your FidoDOLLARS™ with a 3 year agreement on both your monthly plan and data add-on.

As for the cancellation fee, please note that because I do not have access to your account from here, it is not possible for me to let you know of how much it would cost you. I'd suggest that you call customer service at 611 from your Fido device for more information about that.

I hope this helps Smiley

J-Walk
I'm a Contributor Level 2

From my understanding, you can't upgrade to a new phone until the last 6 months remaining in your contract. So if you have your Nexus S with the 3 years agreement and the Galaxy S2 comes out, you're gonna have to stick with it for at least 2.5 years, or if you can't wait till the last 6 months of your contract you can cancel your "Nexus S" contract (expensive) and sign a new contract for the Galaxy S2. Hope that helps!
Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

you can change the phone any time, you just wont get it for a subsidized price like you did untill your 3 years are up.

but if you are within the 15 day satisfaction guarentee, which used to be a great guarentee untill marketing decided to add an air time restriction limit to it, you can change your phone still if you qualify

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hello KJava,

If under an agreement, as Paolo mentioned, you still may get a new phone, but you would have to pay the full price for it. You will become eligible for an agreement renewal 6 months prior to the end of your current agreement. You will not have to cancel your previous agreement to be able to renew within those 6 months, but your new agreement would start only after the current one ends.

If the phone comes out within the first 15 days or 30 minutes of usage of your new phone, you would then be able to return your handset to us and exchange it for a new handset.

I hope this answers your question!

FidoMe
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi,

I am actually “on the other side” of this equation.  I have two questions.

1. My contract is just about to end and I will need to wait a bit before getting the phone I wanted (late release date) so how long do I have before losing the subsidized price for a new phone with a new 3 year contract?

2. Is it true that I need to give a 30 days notice even if I waited to the end of my contract before moving onto another cell provider?  If this is true then it does not make any sense to me!

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hello FidoMe,

To answer your first question, as long as you are not on an agreement or are within the renewal window and have a plan of $20 or more, you will be eligible for the subsidized price on a new phone.

As for your other question, as per our Terms and Conditions:

"You may terminate any or all of your Services upon no less than 30 days’ advance notice by contacting Fido at the appropriate points of contact specified in these Terms; and Fido may terminate any or all of your Services or accounts upon no less than 30 days’ advance notice to you at your billing address. Applicable charges continue to apply until the end of the notice period or until the Services are no longer accessible by you, whichever is later."

Please note that giving us a 30 days notice will result in the loss of your phone number. Therefore, if you want to transfer it to another provider, you would not be able to give it to us and would be charged for the 30 days of service following the deactivation of your Fido account.

I hope this clarifies the matter.