Central Etobicoke - Almost no Signal

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Central Etobicoke - Almost no Signal

I live in Central Etobicoke (M9A4P6) but have virtually no signal from Fido.

Signal strength ranges from -115dBm to no signal. 

To make or receive calls I have to go outside. This is completely unacceptable for a major carrier and the rates they charge.

I have had my phone tested in the Fido store by comparing signal strength with another phone using my SIM. It was fine.

Is there any other government agencies I can contact to file a complaint other than the CRTC?

Accepted Solution

Re: Central Etobicoke - Almost no Signal

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with network signal strength in your area.  I understand the device tested fine at the store but I'm sure you are aware that there are various factors which influence quality/strength of signal and those elements are typically local (high buildings, geography/topography, distance from antenna, contruction materials if indoors, etc).  Therefore it's normal to get different results in a different location. 

For a solution I would first recommend contacting Fido customer service by phone to report the network issue - they will open a ticket and a technician can then verify the source of the problem.   From there you will have more information to determine what your next steps are for resolution. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee
Solution

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with network signal strength in your area.  I understand the device tested fine at the store but I'm sure you are aware that there are various factors which influence quality/strength of signal and those elements are typically local (high buildings, geography/topography, distance from antenna, contruction materials if indoors, etc).  Therefore it's normal to get different results in a different location. 

For a solution I would first recommend contacting Fido customer service by phone to report the network issue - they will open a ticket and a technician can then verify the source of the problem.   From there you will have more information to determine what your next steps are for resolution. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

I'll try that....once again. Last time they just gave me a $20 credit to come to the Fido Store and test my phone.

No effort was made by any technical support to come to my location and test.

My location is surrounded by parks and golf courses with no high rises. But I am high enough for line of site to CN tower.

I am either in a null point of the antennea node or this is just a poor design.

Even outside, I cannot move at all or the signal drops outs.

Currently my only solution is to roam around the house to place the phone in a location where I can get signal, then use Bluetooth to link to my home phones. Of course I have no text or email access ussing this configuration.

Therre must be minimum standards of service required for a carrier...and this is certainly not meeting those standards.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted

Still trying to get some actual support.

CSR who answered thought I was in another province...after confirming my ID and postal code.

Then he told me there was no LTE service in my area. 😕

No matter how many times I mentioned that I took the phone into the Fido store, at their request, and the SIM and phone were tested by Fido staff...and it passed, it just did not register with the CSR.

So now he wants to start over with me re&re the SIM and guide me through some reboot tests...but does not realize I am calling from my Cell...so I need another cell. Of course my wife's BB is also on Fido and it has the same reception problems.

So now I'll call back in the evening and start the process again...the same process that I already went through before taking the phone into the store for testing.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

You don’t get the signal from the CN tower, you get signal from towers in your neighborhood (antennas mounted on high buildings). What towers? Look around but most likely you won’t find one close to your location (M9A4P6).

Years ago I used a map to look up tower location in my neighborhood and from what I see I’m surprised that you get a signal (ertyu,org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html) the closest tower to you is a Bell tower. Now I do not know if the info on the map is up to date for your location but can confirm that is ok as far as my location (I saw all the antennas on the buildings listed on the map the only thing that I cannot confirm is the carrier).

One more thing parks = trees = leaves = poor reception, your reception should improve in winter or sooner if Rogers will raise an antenna close to your location or later if someone builds a couple of condos in your area.

As far as complaining, I wish you good luck.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted

Oh I know exactly how the cell phone network operates.. ironically I do eng planning for an MSO...the CN tower reference was just to indicate I am not in some hollow, low-lying area surrounded by high-rises or something else.

I checked that same map years ago, and while Bell (maybe others) have installed local nodes, Rogers/Fido has not done anything to improve the signal quality. This area and the Airport are the only areas in the city with no towers.

Rogers and Wind share the same local site to me. I was given a Wind USB modem to use for a few weeks, when my ISP had problems, and it's connection was solid all over the house. Much better signal strength.

Since Bell has a new local node close to me,  it looks like they are my next call.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

Glad to hear that you already knew all those things, sometimes the easiest solutions are overlooked and one is wasting a lot of time with calls to Fido when in fact there’s nothing that they can do (I mean a CSR).

BTW I’m sure you already know this but others might read this post so before anyone makes a move to a different carrier based on that map they might want to check with neighbors which have accounts with different carriers. In my location the Bell tower is much much closer than Rogers’s yet I get the same signal strength on the Bell phone (hight/orientation of Bell’s antennas and trees with lot of leaves).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7