Cannot setup voice mail & Support so far has been useless

SOLVED
djmreviewer
I'm a Participant Level 3

I dial 1 to get to voicemail, and asked type in my 10 digit fido number.   Tried many times and the response is that the number is invalid.

Called technical support 3 times today.. each time given assurance this fix would work..  still not working..

1st call - Dial this number and you will be setup - *5005*86*16478399169,  when I do this I get a message the number cannot be completed as dialed???

2nd call - Person reset my voicemail pin, asked me to dail 1 and provide the new pin.  She stayed on the phone while I did this and could not figure out when it responded it was invalid..  She then asked me to power off the phone while she reset something that would be pushed to the phone.  Once we completed that we tried the dial 1 number for voicemail again only to get the same results.  She then tried to put me over to another level of support and was unable.  She asked me to hang up and dial *611 and then go to option #3.   There is no option #3 !!!

3rd call - Person gives me a hard time that my birthdate is not correct on their system??   Then tries to trouble shoot my issue.  Tells me to only dial the 16478399169 number (above).  I try that and it connects me to voicemail..  he tells me to follow the prompts and it should work now..   First prompt asks for my 10 digit fido number and I provide that - and surprise surprise the system tells me it is not valid???  Guy tells me I might be better off taking it back into the store???

Anyone had the same issues and get it resolved???

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot setup voice mail & Support so far has been useless

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 djmreviewer

just a new update...   I decided to call Fido support again..   and this time I got someone who knew what they were doing.  I  am not sure what they did, they would not really share what they did, but it worked this time.  This time I got a couple text messages saying I had been setup on voice mail which I had also originally received when I  purchased the phone & plan.  This support person then had me call my own number and when the voice mail system came on the line it was a whole different experience, it stepped me through the setup of voice mail and completed.  We then retested it dialling the '1' only number and entered my new pin and it worked great.

When I asked the guy again what he did he would only say that he followed the instructions the other support reps should have and it worked???

Anyway, 4th time is the charm I guess, so I would recommend to anyone having the same issue, just keeping calling back until you hit upon a support agent that knows what they are doing!!!!

Thanks to the person that was trying to help me today!!!!

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
MunkroX
I'm Helpful Level 1

Do you have an android based phone? If so, try this. Go to your dialer ( the phone call button) and hit settings, then go to call settings, then go to voicemail and hit setup. It should read  "voicemail number". Now this number is NOT your phone number, from here you will need to call customer support to get the proper number. Enter it and try setting up your voicemail. It should not prompt you to enter a 10 digit number. It should go right into the prompts to setting up your VM. Hope this is the problem, and it fixes the issue. Good luck Smiley

djmreviewer

Thanks for your reply - my phone is a iPhone 4s, so that solution does not seem to work..   Thanks Anyway..

MunkroX
I'm Helpful Level 1

Im not very familliar with iPhones but i troubleshot on the net and i found a few things, hope something here helps...

that error normally shows up on a NEW phone that's never recieved a voicemail. There's something about a new phone that you HAVE TO GET A VOICEMAIL before it will let you check the messages... Or else it says Invalid Number...

Call from another phone and leave yourself a voice mail. Then, then try to check it once the phone says you have a message.

Go to menu, messages, then on your screen you should see either options or settings, choose that, go to voicemail # and change it to *86

these are a few things i found Confused    hope it helps

djmreviewer

Thanks for the help, but still no joy.   I tried twice, once with the phone on and once with it off just to make sure no difference.  Each time when calling from the other phone I got to the Fido voice mail system it requested that I input the 10 digit number of the customer I was trying to reach???  When I provided my number it said it was invalid??   There has to be something on their network that is not setup correctly for my number and voice mail.   Thanks again.

djmreviewer

just a new update...   I decided to call Fido support again..   and this time I got someone who knew what they were doing.  I  am not sure what they did, they would not really share what they did, but it worked this time.  This time I got a couple text messages saying I had been setup on voice mail which I had also originally received when I  purchased the phone & plan.  This support person then had me call my own number and when the voice mail system came on the line it was a whole different experience, it stepped me through the setup of voice mail and completed.  We then retested it dialling the '1' only number and entered my new pin and it worked great.

When I asked the guy again what he did he would only say that he followed the instructions the other support reps should have and it worked???

Anyway, 4th time is the charm I guess, so I would recommend to anyone having the same issue, just keeping calling back until you hit upon a support agent that knows what they are doing!!!!

Thanks to the person that was trying to help me today!!!!

MunkroX
I'm Helpful Level 1

I am glad you got it going fo sho!  Sometimes it is just a matter of getting the right person but after the first 3 times I guess it just looks kinda hopeless haha