Cannot receive google verification codes via SMS

SOLVED
cak
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I was able to get the 2 step verification code until yesterday. 

I havent changed my phone, or the number. I havent upgraded anything on my phone.

This morning i am unable to get the verification code by SMS.

Can someone look into this?

Thanks,

Cak

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot receive google verification codes via SMS

Solved by I'm a Contributor Level 1 cak

You can get the backup codes from google. In the same page where you set up your 2 factor authentication and enter your phone number, there is a link "Backup codes" (i think). When you click that link, it will generate 10 sets of numbers which you can use in case you lost your phone, or sms is not working. 

Each of those numbers can be used only once. You can generate a second set of 10 numbers when you need, if you have used up the first set of 10.

To me 2 factor authentication is good, and it is better to have the backup codes as well, so that in case you lost your phone or you are on a trip somewhere outside canada, you can use these backup codes.

Thanks,

Cak

View solution in context
24 REPLIES 24
bloo
I'm a Participant Level 3

Got my back codes! thanks Cak! 

jbeccaro
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello,

I have moved from Brazil to Canada three weeks ago and I brought my unlocked cell phone Motorola X Play with me. I got a new Fido phone number and placed  the SIM card on my Motorola.  

Everything was going great until I needed to receive google verification codes via SMS.  I don´t know why, but Google sends the SMS to my phone but the message never gets there, and so I can´t access my Google account since the SMS never reaches my cell phone. 

Is there any issue going on, or somebody know why I can´t receive the SMS from Google ?

Please assist as I am about to lose my Google account if I don´t get the codes.

OBS : In Brazil my cell phone used to receive naturally the SMSs from Google with my Brazilian provider, but now with Fido I don´t, I am really upset.

Thank you

flamaleon

I'm having the exactly same problem.

Just came to Toronto from Brazil and im trying to update my phone number in my google account to my new Canadian Number. The thing is i'm unable to receive the confirmation google authenticator code by SMS. I request it many times and it never arrives in my phone. Im sure that im typing the correct number.

That happens when i try to change the recovery number of my google account.

So already tried to contact FIDO tech support and they say it is a Google related problem cause their network is just fine. It's working fine by getting any other SMS text messages from other phones and i have also tested to send the the google verification number with another valid Canadian Number (not FIDO though). It worked just fine. So i'm also guessing its a Fido/Google connection problem.

Did you manage to find any solution? I want to get rid of my old number and therefore i must find a way to get those SMS from google in a normal regular basis.

Thanks.

jbeccaro

Hi Flamaleon, my problem was only solved when Fido changed my phone # to one from area code 416. there was no other way. The other  phone # from area code 437 just wasn´t receiving the code in any way.

I now receive codes from all (Google, Facebook, Instagram and so on).

Hope you can get your problem solved without having to change the phone # as I had to. 

flamaleon

Yeah, my #area code is currently 437.

I guess this is it. Ill reach out Fido so i can change my number.

Thanks. 

Hey @flamaleon!

Welcome to the community! Smiley

If you want to change your number, you can do so, free of charge, through My Account. Check out this thread for more info. Alternately, you can contact us using any of the options you'll find here!

If you prefer, I can send you a PM so we can do this together here.

Let me know what you'd like to do!

Hey @jbeccaro,

Moved your post to this thread since @cak suggested something that worked for another user. 

Let us know how it goes on your end! 

yoshhash1

Phone, email, text, internet is all normal on the new phone, except 2 step verification code process, which goes TO MY OLD PHONE (for icloud) or not at all (for gmail). 

I did all the normal things like restarting, had the chat help agent switch it back, then restore it.

By all that I know about SIM cards, this should be impossible, yet it happens.

Has anyone else had this experience, does anyone have a clue regarding how to fix this issue?

Hey there yoshhash1!

Welcome to the community. Smiley

Do you still have your recovery key? If so, head to the Apple ID login page, log in, select "Can’t access your trusted devices?" and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let us know if you still need help after that! 

yoshhash1

I can't find anything called "Can’t access your trusted devices?" (I used cntrl-F in case it's just a matter of poor eyesight), but I did see something that's probably relevant: it shows that I'm still signed in to my old device. I am afraid to remove it (there is a remove button), because it doesn't display my new phone.  However, my new phone is a Galaxy, so maybe that's why it's not displayed, maybe they only concern themselves with apple products?

Can you either direct me to "Can’t access your trusted devices?" , or explain why it's safe to remove my device?

If the notification were sent as iMessages through your Apple ID, you would only receive them on your old phone. I would suggest removing your device as it might also cause messages coming from other iPhone users to go on your old phone. 

The device should be removed if it's not the one you're using. It would not affect your Apple information if you're using it on other products. 

yoshhash1

Well, I did remove it, and it still doesn't work (for gmail/google).  However, at least I can say that I am NOT receiving it on the old phone.

Someone else on reddit suggested this: 

https://www.howtogeek.com/252100/what-to-do-if-you-cant-receive-text-messages-from-iphone-users/

Great advice for some people but it still didn't work.

I am guessing that gmail/google has some sort of internal glitch preventing it from being sent, but the REAL problem is probably with Apple and their super secret proprietary way of doing things. 

Hey @yoshhash1!

I move your posts to this thread since it's related. 

I suggest checking out the solution above as it has helped other users experiencing the same thing!

bloo

what are the back codes? where do you get it from?

cak

You can get the backup codes from google. In the same page where you set up your 2 factor authentication and enter your phone number, there is a link "Backup codes" (i think). When you click that link, it will generate 10 sets of numbers which you can use in case you lost your phone, or sms is not working. 

Each of those numbers can be used only once. You can generate a second set of 10 numbers when you need, if you have used up the first set of 10.

To me 2 factor authentication is good, and it is better to have the backup codes as well, so that in case you lost your phone or you are on a trip somewhere outside canada, you can use these backup codes.

Thanks,

Cak

bloo

I just received my verification codes from 2 hrs ago but not from the usual 22000 number that Google usually uses... it was from a +44 7624815754 number. Weird. But anyway, im logged into my account and im turning the 2-step verification OFF now. Hope you guys get into your account soon too!

cak

Thanks for confirming bloo.

The first time i tried i got it from that +44 number. The second time i got it from the usual 22000 number.

I am still keep my 2 factor authentication. But i printed out the back codes, just in case when the SMS starts failing.

Thanks,

cak

bloo

Update us when you get to call Fido. I'm trying to get it to send my verification to my back up number but i dont have access to that other phone ATM. I'm trying to have someone check it. 

Safe to say I am turning the 2-step verification OFF after this. 

cak

I tried twice, and i got the verification codes both times. I quickly generated backup codes, just in case it stops working.

Can someone check and confirm if it is working for them too?

Thanks,

Cak

bloo

Having the same issue! It was fine yesterday. Saw another thread that suggested to disable the wifi, but it hasnt worked for me. This is frustrating.