Can't send text messages from home but can receive them

SOLVED
arnieb
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I've had a Samsung S4 for 17 months. Back in May I had the SIM reader replaced and since then  sending texts from home would time out (failed) on an intermittent basis. Lately the problem has gotten worse.

I can send and receive texts anywhere else. My phone is unlocked and when I use a different SIM card when travelling it works fine. I have talked to customer support many times and no solution has worked. Today the support person told me there must be dead zones in my home. The whole house must be a dead zone because I couldn't send from any room!

1) Got a new Fido SIM card - no difference

2) Factory reset through Samsung - no difference

3) Clear the Cache on Chrome often - no difference

4) Power down wait for 10 seconds and power up - no difference

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't send text messages from home but can receive them

Solved by MVP MVP

@arnieb check your APN settings and make sure its correct you can view the required Fido settings here.

If the settings are correct turn off your WiFi and see if the problem remains.

Are you able to make and receive calls when you are home?

View solution in context
19 REPLIES 19
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@arnieb check your APN settings and make sure its correct you can view the required Fido settings here.

If the settings are correct turn off your WiFi and see if the problem remains.

Are you able to make and receive calls when you are home?

arnieb

Hi Kapable K

I did check the APN setting and it was correct so I  turned off WIFI, sent a text to myself and it worked twice but the wait time was sluggish. Yes calls are fine.

Thanks so much for the WIFI tip. I was going to try that before but someone told me WIFI has no relation to texting. Any idea why this happened? Is it a Galaxy S4 issue? 

I also read that if you put a subject line in the SMS it becomes an MMS and that worked but also got an error message "The Message could not be adapted to your terminal" ???

@arnieb are you using the default/stock messaging app or a third party app?

arnieb

The default one

@arnieb clearing the cache on chrome is not the same as clearing the cache partation on the phone here is how you do that.

Turn off phone
Remove the battery and reinsert.
Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.
Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.
Press the Power button to select it.
Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.
Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.
Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
Wait for your phone to reboot.

if you still have the problem it could also be an app that is causing it so to see if its an app you can start the phone in safe mode and connect the wifi then try to send a text to see if it works. If it does then we know the problem is an app that is causing the issue.

To start the phone in safe mode do this:

Remove the battery from the phone.

Re-insert the battery.

Press and hold the Menu key.

While holding the Menu key, turn on the device.

When you see the lock screen, you can release the Menu key.

‘Safe mode’ displays in the lower-left corner.

arnieb

Hi again

I tried to follow your instructions but can't get the Samsung logo to come up. I will bring the phone to a Fido store or a Samsung service centre and hope they will have better luck. Guess I am lacking in manual dexterity. 

On the second suggestion the Samsung logo came up - and gave a message about downloading. I'm confused!

@arnieb here is a video showing you how to clear the cach partition here.

For safe mode check this video here.

arnieb

You are very patient. The good news is I cleared the cache. Then I turned off the WIFI and tried to text but it failed. The bad news is I can't get into safe mode. I hear the phone turn on and start tapping the menu button but no luck. I can't tell if he's holding the power button the whole time or releases it when he starts tapping. Either way didn't help. I also retried your method without success. Your help has been most appreciated and I fully understand there is a limit to your kindness. A new phone might be the best solution - anyone from Fido paying attention?

@arnieb As soon as you feel the phone vibrate release the power button then keep hitting the menu button try it a few times.

arnieb

Good Morning Kapable-K

As you suggested I just tried to get into Safe Mode but I was thrown out at first base. It just doesn't happen. I'm all tapped out! Other than bringing the phone to a Samsung Service Centre, I am very tempted to take up Fido's offer of an upgrade which I assume is a new phone. Based on the difficulty of my experience with my Samsung Galaxy, another brand would seem preferable. Thanks again for your steadfast assistance. I only wish I had used the Forum back in May when the problem started.

Hey @arnieb! Smiley

We're here to help if you want to get a new phone. Since Kapable-K is helping you out, let us know if you want to go with a phone upgrade instead. 

arnieb

Good Morning Fido Terry

Finally someone at Fido is willing to help. Kapable-K was so patient but I was inKapable of getting into Safe Mode. It has been a real struggle but I've wasted so much time and energy on this problem, a new phone seems like the only solution. Please let me know how we can proceed.

Hey @arnieb!

I'll send you a PM in a few and we'll go over this together!

arnieb

Not to be pushy but I wondered what "a few" referred to  - minutes, hours, days, weeks? Please clarify.

Thanks!

Hey @arnieb!

I sent it right after I wrote you here. Strange that you didnt; get it Sad

I'll send it again!

-FidoChristina

***Post edited**

@arnieb First, i'm glad you got my nick name not alot of people actually figure it out.

The community is here for us to help each other so use it anytime you need help or if you can help someone feel feel to chime in.

About your phone if you want to give up on it and want to get another phone I would suggest the Nexus 6p or even the new Google Pixel, you get pure android with out all the bloatware and fast updates. The only down side is the Google phones do not have external storage. On the upside if you get the Google Pixel phone you will get free unlimited original-quality photo and videos backups.

arnieb

Hello KK

Thanks for the suggestions. Are these phones Fido offers? Naturally I am a trifle gun shy on Samsung but appreciate your ongoing interest. Not sure I have much to offer in the way of solutions but will pay more attention to the Forum.

arnieb

Wow you are a guru. Glad I finally went to the Community Forum and got some information that was certainly not being offered by most of the Fido support people I talked with. I will definitely clear the correct cache partition and try to get into safe mode. Your directions seem are lot more comprehendable than those I saw online. Let you know how it goes. If it is an app that's causing the problem, how does one identify which one? 

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Usually you start with the most recent app you installed or was updated when the problem started. You will have to uninstall one at a time.