Can't return Samsung Galaxy S6 because I opened headphones

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 3

Today, I was very disappointed with Fido.

I've been a customer for over 14 years. In fact, I've been with Fido since I first got a cell phone at 17.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 on a 2 year renewal contract with Fido 5 days ago. I've used the phone sparingly, because I knew I wasn't sure...switching from the an iPhone 5 (I've been using iPhones since the iPhone 3).

Today, I decided the phone wasn't for me so I went to the store to return it (this is the first phone I've ever returned to Fido). I was told by the store rep and the store supervisor that I couldn't return the phone because the headphone package had been opened and there are sanitary concerns. I understand the sanitary concerns, but why wasn't I warned about this and shouldn't I have the right to try everything in the box?  I specifically asked the store rep who sold me the phone what I had to do to ensure I could return it and all she said was good condition, under 30 minutes talk time, and all the packaging.

I spoke to a Fido customer service rep on the phone while I was at the store and he basically told me it is at the store's discretion whether to take my refund so I am basically stuck with this phone. 

I called customer service again when I returned home and this rep told me that I should be able to return the phone and he'll make notes in the system so I can go back to talk to the store.

Can I get an official answer on here and also a way to resolve my problem?  I NEVER heard of headphones being an issue for a return and for a 14 year customer, I expected better customer service. I suggested everything from shipping back directly to Fido to just paying for the headphones so I could return the phone.

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't return Samsung Galaxy S6 because I opened headphones

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 56566

The issue has been resolved. The Fido rep from Twitter promptly called the store manager and cleared up the issue for me. I had no issue with my return. 

Customer service on the forums and on Twitter was excellent. However, the store manager and supervisor both still tried to convince me they were doing me a favor and making "an exception" for me. I hope that head office or perhaps their district manager will have a chat with them about this to prevent other customers from being frustrated. It's unacceptable for an official Fido store to be setting their own policies which differ from company return policies. I would have been more understanding if this was a dealer but this is a Fido store and their product and policy knowledge was just sorely lacking. 

Again, customer service on here and Twitter have been excellent. Much better knowledge than at the store level. 

Thanks for the help. 

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8

Yes it is at the same point of sale. I feel that the store manager and supervisor put their own little interpretation of the terms "original packaging" on this.

This was at the Chinook store in Calgary. Can someone from Fido please communicate with the store manager there to tell him that he is incorrect and opened/used headphones should not prevent me from returning the phone?

I see that you are in contact with us on Twitter. For simplicity's sake, that's where we will continue. 

Of course, you are welcome to share the outcome with the Community. 

Thanks!

Sure thing. I didn't expect Twitter response to be that quick. I will provide an update when I hear back and this is resolved.
FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Any updates 56566?

The issue has been resolved. The Fido rep from Twitter promptly called the store manager and cleared up the issue for me. I had no issue with my return. 

Customer service on the forums and on Twitter was excellent. However, the store manager and supervisor both still tried to convince me they were doing me a favor and making "an exception" for me. I hope that head office or perhaps their district manager will have a chat with them about this to prevent other customers from being frustrated. It's unacceptable for an official Fido store to be setting their own policies which differ from company return policies. I would have been more understanding if this was a dealer but this is a Fido store and their product and policy knowledge was just sorely lacking. 

Again, customer service on here and Twitter have been excellent. Much better knowledge than at the store level. 

Thanks for the help. 

Thanks for keeping us posted, 56566!

I'm very happy you got the resolution we were hoping for. That said, we will for sure share your feedback with the people in question. 

Cheers!

FidoFaiza

Hi there 56566!

That sounds odd! You should be able to return the phone even if the headphones' package was opened. That said, the return (or exchange) must be done at the original point of sale. 

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Wow. I've never heard anything like that before. I'm sure you were dealing with an overly sensitive manager, try returning the phone to another store.