Can private seller selling Fido phone call in to block IMEI number after sale?

SOLVED
whickwire
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi,

I recently purchased a Samsung GS3 from a private seller who gave me their original Fido receipt. Device protection was paid for. The phone,once unlocked, worked with my Rogers SIM card.  A few weeks later, no SIM card could be read. After sending away to Samsung multiple times, the problem was not resolved.  I was told the IMEI number may be blocked. Only my Rogers SIM card and a friend's Fido SIM card have been inserted to date.

Is it possible that my seller had the IMEI number blocked following the sale?

What could be the reason for a blocked IMEI in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Re: Can private seller selling Fido phone call in to block IMEI number after sale?

Solved by Fido Employee afterthefact

You can go to this site to check if your IMEI has been added to the National IMEI Blacklist:

http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/

If the phone's IMEI has been blacklisted, only the seller/owner can remove the block.  You will need to get in contact with them.  If the IMEI has not been blacklisted, you should contact Fido for technical support & troubleshooting.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
beararms
I'm Helpful Level 2

It's a scam. People will sell you their phone, call and say it was stolen so the IMEI is blocked and then be issued a new phone for a small fee (or possibly free!).
So you get screwed in the end Sad
kevinj1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

this is why i have and never will buy a phone from a person.  I will only buy from the carrier, a store of some sort, or even a reputable online merchant (like google or other OEM).

afterthefact
Fido Employee

You can go to this site to check if your IMEI has been added to the National IMEI Blacklist:

http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/

If the phone's IMEI has been blacklisted, only the seller/owner can remove the block.  You will need to get in contact with them.  If the IMEI has not been blacklisted, you should contact Fido for technical support & troubleshooting.

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Very well could be the owner called to put a block on the phone. Not sure why they'd do that after a successful transaction but nowadays who knows. Thats the newest scary part of buying a used phone. There are imei checking websites that'll allow you to determine if your device really has been blacklisted.
Original_Lucy
I'm Qualified Level 1

I have heard of people selling their phone and then reporting it stolen to take advantage of a warranty or insurance they put on it. Buyer beware, to be sure.  I would try to contact the seller or take the receipt to the original carrier store and try to get it sorted out.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.