Can SIM card receive texts when it's not in the phone?

infinite7
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'm currently out of Canada and I'm using a foreign sim card while I'm here. Last year, I remember I took out my Fido SIM card before boarding the plane and inserted back in when I got back to Canada. I realized that I got all the texts while I was away even though the SIM card was not in my phone.

Because my friend said she texted me, I wanted to see what she said so while still out of Canada, i just tried to plug my Fido SIM card in but didn't receive any text. Do I have to be in Canada and specifically use Fido's network to receive texts while I was out of Canada?

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@infinite7 wrote:
I'm currently out of Canada and I'm using a foreign sim card while I'm here. Last year, I remember I took out my Fido SIM card before boarding the plane and inserted back in when I got back to Canada. I realized that I got all the texts while I was away even though the SIM card was not in my phone.

Because my friend said she texted me, I wanted to see what she said so while still out of Canada, i just tried to plug my Fido SIM card in but didn't receive any text. Do I have to be in Canada and specifically use Fido's network to receive texts while I was out of Canada?

Hello Infinite7,

Welcome to the community!

When you said you 'got all the texts' when you returned, are you sure you got all of them or the just most recent? Also, how long were you outside of Canada? When text messages are sent but cannot be delivered (ie phone is off or SIM is out of the phone), they are stored on the network servers for a period of time. After that time period, if they still cannot be delivered, they will be discarded from the network. Depending on the sender's phone settings, they may receive a Delivery Failed notification if that happens. The texts you received when you returned were the ones that were still on the servers.

You can receive texts (and phone calls) while you are outside of Canada, however, you should note that your phone will be considered to be roaming and you will get charged as such (unless you have a travel package). If you do wish to receive the texts regardless of any charges incurred, your phone will have to have roaming turned on.

**edit** I need to correct myself. I don't think there are any charges for receiving SMS. However, there would be data roaming charges for any MMS sent or received. My apologies for any confusion.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

The SIM card doesn't receive anything. It does not contain any antenna, nor does it have a power source by itself.

Your cellphone cannot receive texts without the SIM card because it uses the SIM card's information to connect to the network. Without it, Fido's server just won't send the texts to your phone because no phone is on the network using the SIM's informations.

Are you using a iPhone? If so, are you sure you got texts messages? Could it have been iMessages (which do not go through Fido)?

For your second point, no, I don't think you have to be in Canada to receive text messages, but how long did you leave your Fido SIM in your phone? Delivery is not instantaneous. Also, I think there's a timeout period on SMS; is it possible that those texts were sent days before?