Can I use Unlimited Mobile browsing on my iPhone?

Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Can I use Unlimited Mobile browsing on my iPhone?

I see it is only meant for feature phones/dumb phones. I heard about a new value pack that seems like a good value and also happens to have unlimited mobile browsing. So, what happens if I add this value pack to my line and use the SIM for that line to my iPhone. Would I have unlimited data?

Accepted Solution

Re: Can I use Unlimited Mobile browsing on my iPhone?

Hello 10yearfido,

The unlimited on-device browsing option is only meant to work on the regular handsets and is not compatible with smartphones. Because it is not compatible with them, the option would not work if you are using a smartphone.

I hope this answers your request.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hello 10yearfido,

The unlimited on-device browsing option is only meant to work on the regular handsets and is not compatible with smartphones. Because it is not compatible with them, the option would not work if you are using a smartphone.

I hope this answers your request.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

How exactly is the line between non-smartphone and smartphone defined?

The description for the $10/month unlimited browsing includes the line that data applications are also covered - I had assumed that meant basically Google Maps and others would work regardless of the phone I have. Thus, I purchased this add-on for my LG GT505, but my browser indicates that I need one of the smartphone data passes.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 3
I'm Experienced Level 3

TimmyC,

You obviously didn't read the terms and conditions (fineprint) for the UMB.

"Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
Includes on-device mobile browsing, excluding tethering (use of device as wireless modem) on select Fido certified devices. Usage subject to Fido terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, Fido.ca/terms. Data transmission charges of 3¢/KB apply when roaming.

What is included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
This add-on includes Unlimited browsing and application use ( i.e Google Maps, Gmails etc) on your Fido phone. It is only available on SELECT phones (Windows Mobile® devices, Laptop Internet devices and non-Fido certified phones ARE NOT eligible).

What is not included in the Unlimited mobile browsing add-on
Tethering — Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.

Data roaming charges apply, in addition to regular subscription fees when accessing the mobile Internet while roaming outside the Fido GPRS/EDGE/3G network."

I've bolded, underliined and italicized the key points for you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

only dumbphones will work with the  "Unlimited mobile browsing add-on", any smartphone (windows, android, iphone, blackberry) is recongized by the network by your emei number , you might get a smartphone to work with this mobile data plan, but when the system eventually sees that its a smartphone it will stop the data

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5