Can I purchase a new phone w/Fido Dollars and keep my month to month plan?

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Can I purchase a new phone w/Fido Dollars and keep my month to month plan?

Can I purchase a new phone through Fido using my Fido Dollars, and continue my month to month payment plan? Or do you have to sign up with a Tab24 agreement in order to buy a new phone with Fido Dollars?

Accepted Solution

Re: Can I purchase a new phone w/Fido Dollars and keep my month to month plan?

Short answer : that would depend on your fido dollar balance and any real dollars you wanted to spend.  You would have to purchase the device outright to avoid a new contract / price plan change.  Using the Galaxy S6 for example, the price is :

$150 with a 2 Year Max plan
$300 with a 2 Year Smart plan
$500 with a 2 year Standard plan
$750 with Prepaid service

The outright purchase price is 750.00, not 150.00.  If you took 150.00, you would have a new 2 year contract and be FORCED to select from their 2 year Max Plan prices, which are higher than their smart, standard and BYOD pricing for the same amount of data/min/sms.  Also, all of Fido's new plans DO NOT ACCRUE FIDO DOLLARS.

Nowadays the price plans are based around how much of a subsidy you get on the device.  If you spent 750.00 to buy it outright, you would be free to select BYOD pricing which may or may not be better than what you currently have.  month-to-month just means you no longer have a contract, but plans 2 years ago had the device subsidy more cleverly hidden.  For instance, your plan could be 35.00 for 200 minutes, CD, VM and 30.00 for 6GB data.  15.00 of that 35.00 monthly service plan would have been the device subsidy they gave you on the device you took at the time. 

Long answer : Take a good look at what Fido offers now based on the subsidy.  BYOD offers the best value, Smart plans are for people who want a 'new-to-them' Android with subsidy, Standard is for talk and text feature phone plans, and Max Plans are for people who want the best and newest Samsung or Apple iPhone devices.  The minutes and data are roughly equivalent for each tier, the thing that changes is the price.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1
Solution

Short answer : that would depend on your fido dollar balance and any real dollars you wanted to spend.  You would have to purchase the device outright to avoid a new contract / price plan change.  Using the Galaxy S6 for example, the price is :

$150 with a 2 Year Max plan
$300 with a 2 Year Smart plan
$500 with a 2 year Standard plan
$750 with Prepaid service

The outright purchase price is 750.00, not 150.00.  If you took 150.00, you would have a new 2 year contract and be FORCED to select from their 2 year Max Plan prices, which are higher than their smart, standard and BYOD pricing for the same amount of data/min/sms.  Also, all of Fido's new plans DO NOT ACCRUE FIDO DOLLARS.

Nowadays the price plans are based around how much of a subsidy you get on the device.  If you spent 750.00 to buy it outright, you would be free to select BYOD pricing which may or may not be better than what you currently have.  month-to-month just means you no longer have a contract, but plans 2 years ago had the device subsidy more cleverly hidden.  For instance, your plan could be 35.00 for 200 minutes, CD, VM and 30.00 for 6GB data.  15.00 of that 35.00 monthly service plan would have been the device subsidy they gave you on the device you took at the time. 

Long answer : Take a good look at what Fido offers now based on the subsidy.  BYOD offers the best value, Smart plans are for people who want a 'new-to-them' Android with subsidy, Standard is for talk and text feature phone plans, and Max Plans are for people who want the best and newest Samsung or Apple iPhone devices.  The minutes and data are roughly equivalent for each tier, the thing that changes is the price.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted

Yes you can purchase a phone with your Fido dollars and keep your plan as month to month.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3