Caller Display vs. Caller ID in Value Packs

SOLVED
Wartman
I'm a Participant Level 1

Caller Display vs. Caller ID in Value Packs

Hey there,

I have a 'Value Pack', which includes:

- Call Display with Name Display - Enhanced Voice Messaging - WhoCalled

I would like to know what 'Call Display with Name Display' is exactly. I am interested in seeing the names show up when I am being called/calling someone that I have in my contact book. I don't mind if I don't see the names/numbers of people who are calling if I don't have in my phone book.

Otherwise, 'WhoCalled' doesn't work. It says *8888 unknown everytime someone leaves me a message, whether I have the in my contact or not. Enhanced voice messaging isn't necessary for me right now.

So, the big Kahuna is that Call Display. Any help would be great! Thank you Smiley

-Paul

Accepted Solution

Re: Caller Display vs. Caller ID in Value Packs

Solved by I'm an Expert Level 2

Hi, this is a frequently asked question, infact one of my all time favourites.

In simple terms here it is in a nut shell:

CALL DISPLAY transmits the Number ONLY to your HANDSET

CALL DISPLAY W/ NAME DISPLAY transmitts both the NUMBER and NAME to your handset, PROVIDING YOUR HANSET SUPPORTS THIS AND IS COMPATIBLE WITH IT.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, IF YOU STORE THE NAME AND NUMBER OF A CONTACT IN YOUR PHONE, THEN IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH ONE OF THE TWO CALL DISPLAYS you can get, because your PHONE (MOST OF THE TIME) WILL OVERRIDE THE NAME DISPLAY WITH THE NAME PROGRAMMED IN YOUR PHONE BOOK, INSTEAD OF THE ONE BEING TRANSMITTED FROM THE NETWORK.

In a nut shell, it works the EXACT SAME WAY the Call Display / Name Display feature on Bell Canada Landlines work.

Senario 1,  you only pay for call display,  and i call you, you will only see MY NUMBER,  You will NOT see my name because you are not paying for the feature and you did not have me in your phone book to begin with.

Senario 2, you pay for call display with name display, and i call you, you will see MY NUMBER AND MY NAME, as is stored on Fido's records,  now, the only time this will NOT work is if the call is being originating from a phone company that does not send name informatino, lots of them such as Telus, Bell mobility, Moblicity, etc, will only show the callers number, not name information, so please understand this as well, cus lots of people get name display and receive calls from numbers which contain no name information and are upset because they did not do their research and think its fidos fault.

Senario 3,  you pay for call display name display, and I call you, instead of my Caller ID showing up on your phone as my name according to the phone records, you saved me in your phone as Mista P, so that will be the name you see on your phones caller ID when I call.   This works for MOST phones, not every phone works in this manner so remember that.

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Hi, this is a frequently asked question, infact one of my all time favourites.

In simple terms here it is in a nut shell:

CALL DISPLAY transmits the Number ONLY to your HANDSET

CALL DISPLAY W/ NAME DISPLAY transmitts both the NUMBER and NAME to your handset, PROVIDING YOUR HANSET SUPPORTS THIS AND IS COMPATIBLE WITH IT.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, IF YOU STORE THE NAME AND NUMBER OF A CONTACT IN YOUR PHONE, THEN IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH ONE OF THE TWO CALL DISPLAYS you can get, because your PHONE (MOST OF THE TIME) WILL OVERRIDE THE NAME DISPLAY WITH THE NAME PROGRAMMED IN YOUR PHONE BOOK, INSTEAD OF THE ONE BEING TRANSMITTED FROM THE NETWORK.

In a nut shell, it works the EXACT SAME WAY the Call Display / Name Display feature on Bell Canada Landlines work.

Senario 1,  you only pay for call display,  and i call you, you will only see MY NUMBER,  You will NOT see my name because you are not paying for the feature and you did not have me in your phone book to begin with.

Senario 2, you pay for call display with name display, and i call you, you will see MY NUMBER AND MY NAME, as is stored on Fido's records,  now, the only time this will NOT work is if the call is being originating from a phone company that does not send name informatino, lots of them such as Telus, Bell mobility, Moblicity, etc, will only show the callers number, not name information, so please understand this as well, cus lots of people get name display and receive calls from numbers which contain no name information and are upset because they did not do their research and think its fidos fault.

Senario 3,  you pay for call display name display, and I call you, instead of my Caller ID showing up on your phone as my name according to the phone records, you saved me in your phone as Mista P, so that will be the name you see on your phones caller ID when I call.   This works for MOST phones, not every phone works in this manner so remember that.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

forgot to add senario 4, you do not pay for any caller id feature, and even if you still store my name/number in your address book, it will show up as INCOMING CALL or CALL or UNKNOWN NUMBER, that is because you are not subscribed to any call identifying feature.
pksingh
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I took a value pack says call display.This means that it should include name of the caller.I do not have a caller id.It does not displays the name of the caller.

I can send as many messages as I require.I can see the number which is sending me the message,however I cannot see the name of the person who is sending me the message.

I believe these things needs to be resolved when a person is having a value add on package having Call Display feature.

Hi @pksingh and Welcome to the Community!

The Name Display feature requires the Call display feature to work. 

If you have any question, send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter

pksingh
I'm a Contributor Level 1

This does not go by addon feature that is displayed on the screen,that Name Display should require Caller Id to display the Name.

Also,when I recieve an SMS i donot see the name of the person,i only see who the number has texted me.This should also be displaying the name of person who is texting me.

You have made things over complicated and not delivering things that you tend to provide.

You should advertise and give what ever has been advertised.

Hey there!

The call display/name display features will only work for calls, not for text messages.  

If you have the number in your contact list, you'll see the name associated with that contact when you receive a message. 

If you don't have the number in your contact list, then you'll see only the number of the person sending you a text message. 

Would you like me to take a look at your account to make sure everything is set up properly?

-FidoManuel