Call forwarding while outside local calling area = LD charge?

SOLVED
mzvib
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have a voice plan that does *not* include Canada-wide calling. I also have a value pack with lots of call forwarding minutes. Let's say I travel with my mobile phone outside my local calling area. Someone calls my mobile number and their call is forwarded to a number that *is* within my local calling area, where someone answers it and they talk.

I assume I will *not* incur long distance charges in this scenario. Is that correct?

Accepted Solution

Re: Call forwarding while outside local calling area = LD charge?

Solved by MVP MVP

@FidoMaria thats what I though.

So that brings us to the solution for this question I was not wrong and you were not wrong either its just that It needs to be more detailed between the two.

@mzvib if you set your phone to unconditional forwarding to a local number and you are roaming or out of your local area then you will not incur any charges (because the call never reaches your phone) but your minutes will be deducted from your call forwarding bucket.

If you set your phone to conditional forwarding eg. forward to a local number if you do not answer (that means the call will come to your phone first so your phone will ring) and you are out of your local area or roaming then you will incur charges and minutes will be deducted from your call forwarding bucket.

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @mzvib! Smiley

You're right; if you're forwarding your calls to a local number, no charges will be incurred.

I'd also like to clarify @KAPABLE-K's post; roaming only happens when you're outside of Canada. If you're outside your local area but still within Canada, it will be considered as long-distance.

Hope this helps!

mzvib
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Thanks, but now I'm slightly confused by the mention of roaming. I understand that roaming = outside Canada, but as long as I'm forwarding to a number in my local calling area, it doesn't make any difference where my mobile phone is physically located, does it?  Whether it's in Canada or roaming in Asia, I still won't incur any charges at all (long distance, roaming, or airtime) for forwarding to a local number, right?  (Other than minutes coming out of my forwarding bucket.)

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@mzvib You got it!

As long as call forwarding is set up to forward your calls to a local number, you'll only be using your call forwarding minutes. Smiley

does that go for all the different types of forwarding or just unconditional?

I do not use VM I always use conditional forwarding if I do not answer a call it gets forwarded to my home phone.

So if I'm out of Canada or out of my local calling area and I get a call (that means my phone rings) but don't answer the call and it gets forwarded to my home phone which is in my local calling area that means I don't incur charges? It will just deduct minutes from my forwarding bucket of minutes?

@KAPABLE-K that's a great question. Smiley

I double-checked, and long-distance/roaming charges would apply for conditional call forwarding since the call would reach your phone before being forwarded, as opposed to unconditional call forwarding, which forwards the call before it reaches your phone.

Cheers!

@FidoMaria thats what I though.

So that brings us to the solution for this question I was not wrong and you were not wrong either its just that It needs to be more detailed between the two.

@mzvib if you set your phone to unconditional forwarding to a local number and you are roaming or out of your local area then you will not incur any charges (because the call never reaches your phone) but your minutes will be deducted from your call forwarding bucket.

If you set your phone to conditional forwarding eg. forward to a local number if you do not answer (that means the call will come to your phone first so your phone will ring) and you are out of your local area or roaming then you will incur charges and minutes will be deducted from your call forwarding bucket.

@mzvib Just wanted to let you know that is definitely a great question. I'm an employee here at Fido and it got me wondering. That's what I love about this Fido community. Every one on the conversation most likely learn something about this topic Wink

So if you are outside your local calling area it's just consider long distance now and not roaming?

I remember when I was on a non-Canadian wide plan and I leave my local area and I get a call and let it forward to a number in my local calling area I got charged long distance (roaming).

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hi @mzvib! Smiley

You're right; if you're forwarding your calls to a local number, no charges will be incurred.

I'd also like to clarify @KAPABLE-K's post; roaming only happens when you're outside of Canada. If you're outside your local area but still within Canada, it will be considered as long-distance.

Hope this helps!

when you set your call forwarding to another number, even though you are outside your local calling area, the call never reaches your phone, it hits the fido switch then gets transferred from the switch to the other number you specified to forward it to. if you choose a local number then the call will forward without additional charges, but if u forward to a # thats long distance from your LOCAL AREA, (not where your phone is located) then long distance. 

FidoMaria, back in the day when someone was outside their local calling area Rogers, your parent company would consider it roaming, even on the bill its billed as IRM (incoming roaming minutes) so thats why people still refer to it as roaming because they are old school like me

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Once you are outside your local calling area that means you are roaming. If a call come to your phone and you forward it to a number within your local calling area you will still be billed for roaming.