Call forwarding: "Unexpected response from network"

SOLVED
isaac_s
I'm a Participant Level 2

Previously, I was able — even while outside of Canada — to change my call forwarding settings through my smartphone (Android, Nexus 5) by going to phone -> settings -> calls -> call forwarding, selecting "Forward all calls" and entering a number.

However, starting about a month ago, I can no longer do this. I am currently in the US, and trying to forward my calls I'm getting a message saying "Unexpected response from network". This suspiciously coincides with the fact that about a month ago, after a few years, I added the "international calling" add-on to my plan, which sent Fido representatives scrambling as the change caused some problems with my account.

Any idea why this is happening? anybody else experiencing/experienced this?

Accepted Solution

Re: Call forwarding: "Unexpected response from network"

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 2 isaac_s

Hi, yes, the problem was resolved.

The problem was that a few weeks ago, I added a value-pack for international calling. In Fido's backend systems, that resulted in having to change my actual plan (i.e. it wasn't as simple as adding a checkbox somewhere). Looks like the possibility of call forwarding, included in my previous plan, was dropped (even though Fido's phone representative told me that call forwarding is also available in my new plan). The social-media rep re-added the call forwarding option to my account and that fixed the problem.

View solution in context
13 REPLIES 13
Pat_Rice

Seems like the same problems aren't so much solved even after two years...

I used to get the same problem about every 6 months. Fido reps were doing a network reset and call forwarding was working fine.

About 2 months ago it happened again, but now network reset doesn't work.

The only way I'm able to do a call forward (or cancel it) is to program it, either throught iPhone settings or using *21...., than reset my iPhone (regular turn off), turning it back on and do the same function (cancel or forward) and than it works. No other way works. It's just frustrating to have to reset the phone every time....

I spent over 6 calls, 2 chats, with Fido reps and still doesn't work after hours with Fido reps.

Anyone knows about this problem? On one of the calls, with Fido reps, one of them told me they have this problem with all iPhone users... I've mentioned it after to other reps and it seems to be unknown to them!

Hey @Pat_Rice

Welcome to the Community. 

I'm sorry to see you've been having trouble with this particular service. 

Can you let us know if this has been happening only while you use this specific phone? 

Pat_Rice

Not 100% certain, but would say yes...

(really not sure)

Hi @Pat_Rice!

Let me send you a PM to look into it. 

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi Isaac_s, 

Calls can only be forwarded to a Canadian or an American (country code "1") phone number.

Are you currently connected to a network while in the USA, and are you able to use your phone for other functions? (Like place calls, send text messages, etc.)

Also, there are two ways to use Call Forwarding: Unconditional and Conditional. Which one are you trying to set-up? Click here to see the steps Smiley

Thanks for the info!

Could you please try this? 

1. Dial #21# from your phone to erase all previous call forwarding settings. 

2. If your want to forward all calls to number 1-416-123-4567,  dial *21*4161234567# to activate unconditional call forwarding.  

PS. US roaming charges may apply if you are in US while changing call forwarding settings. 

isaac_s

Trying #21#, I get:

Call forwarding

Connection problem or invalid MMI code.

I didn't try the second command as there's no point...

You could also try to google "Connection problem or invalid MMI code" as keyword. 

I found this topic is very helpful:

http://www.technobezz.com/fix-connection-problem-invalid-mmi-code/

@isaac_s Hey! Any update on this? It would help if someone has the same problem in the future.

Thanks!

isaac_s

Hi, yes, the problem was resolved.

The problem was that a few weeks ago, I added a value-pack for international calling. In Fido's backend systems, that resulted in having to change my actual plan (i.e. it wasn't as simple as adding a checkbox somewhere). Looks like the possibility of call forwarding, included in my previous plan, was dropped (even though Fido's phone representative told me that call forwarding is also available in my new plan). The social-media rep re-added the call forwarding option to my account and that fixed the problem.

Great! Glad it was fixed and thanks for sharing Smiley

I am glad that your issue is fixed as well Smiley 

Hi isaac_s!

I'll send you a private message so we can check if your account is set up to be able to do call forwarding.

Talk to you soon!